Oslo - Tram 12 closed until 17 Aug 2014

The Tram #12 is usually listed as one of the easiest ways to get around Oslo, since it stops very close to the main cruise pier at Rådhusplass and also right in front of the main entrance to Vigelands Park. For those planning a visit to Oslo this summer, I wanted to let you know that the section of the tram line near the cruise pier is closed due to construction:

Tram service 12 is suspended between Majorstuen and Stortorvet due to roadworks in Solli plass. The service will operate as normal between Stortorvet and Kjelsås/Grefsen.

ALTERNATIVE ROUTES:

To Majorstuen: Take tram service 11 or 19, or the Metro from Jernbanetorget.

To Aker brygge, Rådhusplassen and Ruseløkka: Take the bus, tram or Metro to Nationaltheatret, Dokkveien, Vika Atrium or Bryggetorget and walk from there.

To Frogner: Take bus service 30 or 31 to Skovveien, and then the tram from the temporary stop located outside the Norwegian Library (Nasjonalbiblioteket).

You can find an updated copy of the tram line map showing the closure here:

https://ruter.no/Documents/Rutetabeller/Oslo/linjekart_trikk_140621-140817_V3.pdf

For alternative transportation, the best option will be to walk to National Theater, where there is a metro stop and a number of buses and trams. This takes between 10 and 15 minutes from the ship (about 5 minutes farther than the closed Tram 12 stop).

From National Theater, you have two options to get to Vigelands Park:

1. Take any westbound metro train one stop to Majorstuen. At the main southeast exit of the station (turn right when you get off the train) is Kirkeveien, the main Ring 2 road. Turning right (southwest), Vigelands Park is about 10 minutes' walk (on the right). Alternatively, you can catch the bus #20 (towards Skøyen) or the Tram #13 (towards Solli) from the stops directly in front of the station. Vigelandsparken is the second stop.

2. Take the bus 30 or 31 west to Skovveien, and then walk back a block to the main intersection at Solli plass. Find the Tram #13 stop in front of the National Library, and ride the Tram #13 towards Majorstuen. Get down at the Vigelandsparken stop.

If you're traveling with single tickets instead of a one-day pass or Oslo Pass, the transfers are no issue. Within Oslo a single ticket offers unlimited travel for one hour from its first use.

Note that the ferry from the city hall to the Bygdøy museums is operating as usual.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to help!

Thanks so much for this head's up as I will be there on July 24th and wanting to go from the port to Vigelansparken.

It appears that you can also take trams #13 or 19 from the National Theater and transfer at Majorstuen to Bus #20 to Vigelandsparken. Or alternatively, Bus #30 to Olav Kryrres and catch Bus # 20. Is that correct?

Thanks so much for your help!

My interpretation of the temporary route map seem that you can take tram 13 from National Theater all the way to Vigesland Park. Is that correct?

It does look like that would work. That would be much easier if that were the case. Hopefully a local will confirm.

Good catch!

You can take Tram #13 from Nationaltheatret all the way to Vigelandspark via Majorstuen. Technically Majorstuen is a terminus, so the tram will likely stop for a bit at Majorstuen It looks like it's scheduled to wait for about 5 minutes, but due to the uncertainty around the modified route, it isn't really running on schedule.

Also, it's very important to confirm at Majorstuen that the tram you're on will become the tram continuing on to Vigelands Park. They sometimes change numbers at Majorstuen, so the 13 you rode there might become a 19 and head back towards Nationaltheatret.

Basically, you need to consider the stop at Majorstuen as a transfer stop, even if you rode there on the 13. So if the onward 13 isn't departing right away (you can probably ask the driver), you can also switch to the #20 bus if that's leaving sooner.

And yes, the bus #30 to Olav Kryrres and transferring to the bus #20 works too! (This is an especially useful connection if you want to travel from Vigelands Park down to the Bygdøy museums.)

Edited by kaisatsu

Another thing, re: the schedule: There are digital signs at many of the stops that display the expected time to the next tram. On the modified routes, these are not accurate. I waited for the Tram #13 at Vigelands Park on Sunday, because it showed a 2-minute wait. After about 8 minutes of waiting I gave up and decided I'd just walk, since I wasn't going far. As I was about to leave I saw that it was finally coming.

The times listed for the buses, metro, and unchanged tram routes are all fairly accurate.

Edited by kaisatsu

And yes, the bus #30 to Olav Kryrres and transferring to the bus #20 works too! (This is an especially useful connection if you want to travel from Vigelands Park down to the Bygdøy museums.)

Thanks Kaisatsu, that's exactly what I'm intending to do :)

• 2 weeks later...
Kaisatsu,

Thanks for the information. On the walk from the pier to the National Theater tram stops (on Stortingsgata?) where would be the closest ATMs?

Thanks in advance.

There is an ATM on Olav Vs gate, which is right on the way to Nationaltheatret if you're not stopping at the tourist info:

http://*******/maps/mVHhx

I'm pretty sure it's still there because I vaguely remember seeing someone using it last time I walked past. Not sure why I even noticed!

If you are going to the tourist information first, you might ask there. There are often ATMs (called minibanks in Norwegian) inside some of the convenience stores. I tend not to notice them because I use cash so rarely that I typically just go to the same few.

Edited by kaisatsu

I can't get the Google Maps link to work, so here are the coordinates:

You can just paste them into Google Maps yourself.

Brilliant! Worked like a charm; I even saw it on Google street view.

Thanks again.