Need Vancouver Advice

We are flying in the night before me cruise Wednesday on the Island Princess. We get in late(9pm). I was just going to get a cab for the 4 of us and skip the rental car since we leave the next day.

I just want to get up, buy some a case of bottled water and then board the ship.

Would I be best off to stay downtown, or even at the Pan Pacific ( recommendations would be appreciated) ? Or would I better off out by the airport and then just take the cab in morning?

Is there a grocery store close to the pier or a good hotel?

If you mean a case as in a 'flat', I think it may be best if you book at a hotel by the airport in Richmond on Bridgeport Road by the Costco (four come to mind). Get up in the morning, have breakfast while you wait for Costco to open, then walk there, buy a flat and then walk back to the hotel to call a cab to the ship. I believe Costco opens at 10:30 or 11:00 AM.

There probably is a convenience store somewhere near the port, but for a flat, Costco would be your best bet for the best price. I work downtown, but I can't think of one that is close.

There are four hotels within walking distance of the Costco - the Best Western Abercorn Inn is directly across the street on Bridgeport (busy street, but there is a light) , the Holiday Inn Express is right next door to Costco on the same side, while the Executive Inn and Hampton Inn are about a block away on the same side of Bridgeport Rd as Costco.

These hotels are very close to the airport, but not right on the airport property - you would need a shuttle (some would have probably) or take a cab. They are about a 5-10 min ride from the arrivals.

In the morning the cab will cost you about $30.00-$40.00 depending on the traffic that day from the hotel to the cruise terminal. The cab can drop you right at the terminal with the water.

There is a Costco right down by BC Place stadium but you have a London Drugs, Shopper's Drug Mart - who always have weekly pop specials and a Pharmasave all only three or four blocks from Canada Place.

Stay downtown and in the morning after a leisurely breakfast either walk the seawall towards Stanley Park or into Gastown before boarding your ship.

Downtown Vancouver is very compact - and no major hotel is more than a mile from the Port - some off a shuttle - The Pan Pacific , Fairmont Waterfront are next to each other and have a food court as part of the complex - The two Marriotts, Fairmont Pacific Rim, Coast Coal Harbour are a short walk or taxi away.

Once you have decided whether to stay in Richmond or head downtown let us know and us locals will be happy to help with more hotel recommendations etc.

Cheers!

Dennis