Jan 2016 RCI Whitsundays cruise...questions

Hi guys,

Just looking for some answers regarding cruising to the Whitsundays in Jan 2016. I love the fact that RCI will have one of their beautiful ships sailing from Brisbane so really want to snap up the opportunity :)

We have only sailed in the Bahamas which was as smooth as silk.....will we be in for the chance of a rough ride sailing from Brisbane to Cairns etc? My parents are thinking of coming too but my dad is getting on a bit and has mobility issues. I certainly don't want to put him on a ship that is rocking all over the place making it harder for him.

Also on the ship itself (Legend of the Seas) will he have trouble getting around? We are thinking maybe a wheelchair would be best?

Lastly, where can I see prices for the drinks packages?

Really hoping we can do this!! I love cruising :D

Thanks for any input!!!

OK Australian Jetsetter, I'll be the first to respond. I will not be able to answer all your questions but I'll tell you what I can. Firstly you're sailing in our Southern Hemisphere summer and in the tropics which means their maybe the chance of tropical cyclones/storms. Whilst this is a (remote) possibility the cruise companies and ships take appropriate action to avoid so personally I wouldn't be concerned. We're sailing around Northern Australia in Feb 2015 and we're not concerned at all.

Sailing up the east cost of Qld should be quite smooth. The course the ships follow is generally not too far out to sea but inside (west of) the Great Barrier Reef so the seas are calmer than outside (east of) the reef in the open Pacific. Those that I know that have cruised up there have never made any mention of rough seas.

I haven't sailed on the ship in question so can't comment. Regarding your Dad's mobility, if it were me and I was in anyway concerned I simply wouldn't take any chances and go the wheel chair option.

Regarding the drinks package, have you googled 'Royal Carribean Drinks Package' or been to the RCI forum page. I'm sailing on Celebrity next and the forums have been full of info on drinks packages.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Just looking for some answers regarding cruising to the Whitsundays in Jan 2016. I love the fact that RCI will have one of their beautiful ships sailing from Brisbane so really want to snap up the opportunity :)

We have only sailed in the Bahamas which was as smooth as silk.....will we be in for the chance of a rough ride sailing from Brisbane to Cairns etc? My parents are thinking of coming too but my dad is getting on a bit and has mobility issues. I certainly don't want to put him on a ship that is rocking all over the place making it harder for him.

Also on the ship itself (Legend of the Seas) will he have trouble getting around? We are thinking maybe a wheelchair would be best?

Lastly, where can I see prices for the drinks packages?

Really hoping we can do this!! I love cruising :D

Thanks for any input!!!

i cant help with any advice on the ship but i wouldnt like to be going to Cairns in january as its cyclone season and it would be too hot and humid

Yes, in January Cairns will be hot and humid, but that can be managed by being near/on/in the water, which you will be when you are cruising :)

Yes, there is a chance you may run into bad weather (aka, a cyclone) but as previously mentioned, you would have to be very unlucky to encounter one, and cruise ships are kept well informed of these thing and will make changes if necessary to avoid them.

The beverage packages for RCI are as follows:

Alcoholic Packages

The Select Package: US$40 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Beer

- Wines by the glass (up to US$9 value)

- Fountain soda with Coca Cola® souvenir cup

- Non-alcoholic cocktails

The Premium Package: USD$55 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Call, and premium cocktails (up to US$12 value)

- Frozen cocktails

- Beer

- Premium wines by the glass (up to US$14 value)

- Bottled water still (500ml)

The Ultimate Package: USD$65 per guest / per day. Includes:

Virtually unlimited options. A combination of all the benefits from Premium and Royal Replenish packages.

Non-Alcoholic Packages

Royal Replenish: US$20 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Premium coffee

- Premium tea

- Bottled water: Sparkling (375ml) or Still (500ml)

- Fresh squeezed orange juice

I'm doing an RCI cruise out of Brisbane in March 2016 (also love that there are more ships cruising out of Brisbane these days). After looking at these packages, I think I'll go the Premium Package - the only advantage I can see to getting the Ultimate is that you would have access to premium coffees/teas as well as fresh OJ and sparkling water. I'm not that fussed about my coffee enough to get the upgrade, so the Premium looks good enough to me.

Cheers

Tania

Team Alpha...thanks so so much for your reply :-) I think you're right about the wheelchair...probs best to be safe than sorry. Great news about the waters....I am relieved!! I reckon we can do this :-)

Will check out the RCI forum now. So exciting!!!

Rkm.....we live in QLD....very used to hot and humid ;-) It won't bother us at all. The cyclones don't freak me out at all as I know the ships would avoid if necessary. We always get so much warning of a cyclone brewing up there that it shouldn't be a problem for the ships to avoid:-) Thanks heaps for the rpely mate!

Yes, in January Cairns will be hot and humid, but that can be managed by being near/on/in the water, which you will be when you are cruising :)

Yes, there is a chance you may run into bad weather (aka, a cyclone) but as previously mentioned, you would have to be very unlucky to encounter one, and cruise ships are kept well informed of these thing and will make changes if necessary to avoid them.

The beverage packages for RCI are as follows:

Alcoholic Packages

The Select Package: US$40 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Beer

- Wines by the glass (up to US$9 value)

The Premium Package: USD$55 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Call, and premium cocktails (up to US$12 value)

- Frozen cocktails

- Beer

- Premium wines by the glass (up to US$14 value)

- Bottled water still (500ml)

The Ultimate Package: USD$65 per guest / per day. Includes:

Virtually unlimited options. A combination of all the benefits from Premium and Royal Replenish packages.

Non-Alcoholic Packages

Royal Replenish: US$20 per guest / per day. Includes:

- Premium coffee

- Premium tea

- Bottled water: Sparkling (375ml) or Still (500ml)

- Fresh squeezed orange juice

I'm doing an RCI cruise out of Brisbane in March 2016 (also love that there are more ships cruising out of Brisbane these days). After looking at these packages, I think I'll go the Premium Package - the only advantage I can see to getting the Ultimate is that you would have access to premium coffees/teas as well as fresh OJ and sparkling water. I'm not that fussed about my coffee enough to get the upgrade, so the Premium looks good enough to me.

Cheers

Tania

Thanks Tania!!

Is there a package that just includes water & soft drink?

Legend is pretty easy to get around, so unless the wheelchair is desired generally, the ship itself doesn't add any obstacles.

All thoroughfares are level. There are lifts to every floor, and the ship itself isn't that big. There are stairs in some places where alternatives exist e.g. theatre, some outdoor levels, and a wheelchair won't help with those anyway. There also shouldn't be places where a wheelchair will help with e.g. queuing.

OTOH, using it does make your choices more limited in e.g. the theatre and buffet/MDR.

235 views and non one has a response to offer!!!! wow :-(

I don't know who the people were that looked, but it was 11pm our time when you posted, and 8.24am when you did your second post. Chances are nobody that looked was in eastern Australia, (all asleep), and considering RCI are bringing the new ship over to sail from Brisbane, none of them probably ever sailed Brisbane to Whitsundays on RCI. So don't be offended, people were probably interested in your post, but it sounds like you were too specific to the wrong crowd at the wrong time! I am glad you got some answers eventually :) There are some good people here, but answers sometimes take a while.

My part answer is that having sailed Rhapsody which is similar category, get your dad a cabin close to the lifts. All the ships have very good stabilisers and I think that in general there is a pretty smooth ride for most of the time. They give you daily updates on the type of seas that will be coming up, and they are pretty knowledgeable. Lots of older people go on the ships and seem to have a great time. :)

Thanks for the reply :-)

I'm going to check out your blog now of your Australian cruise!! I've become addicted to cruising lol after having only done 1!!!! :-)

So looking forward to checking out tha Australian waters from the balcony.

Yes indeed I think I was very inpatient...so used to Trip Advisor where the replies just flow....but no offence taken ;-)

It is very addictive. We just spent a weekend in Melbourne, and the land based trips are just not in the same league! The atmosphere on board, and friends you make on a cruise are just great. We have decided that we are no longer able to get off a ship unless we have at least one more cruise booked. Expenses are now categorised as "well we could spend that, or the money could go in the cruise account instead!" :D

Thanks for the reply :-)

I'm going to check out your blog now of your Australian cruise!! I've become addicted to cruising lol after having only done 1!!!! :-)

So looking forward to checking out tha Australian waters from the balcony.

Yes indeed I think I was very inpatient...so used to Trip Advisor where the replies just flow....but no offence taken ;-)

Have you thought of booking a disabled (accessible) cabin for your Dad as this will assist him with extra room both in the cabin & the bathroom. My 88 year old Mother uses a "wheelie-walker" (Zimmer frame?) so certainly appreciated the grab bars & fold down seat in the bathroom.

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is very addictive. We just spent a weekend in Melbourne, and the land based trips are just not in the same league! The atmosphere on board, and friends you make on a cruise are just great. We have decided that we are no longer able to get off a ship unless we have at least one more cruise booked. Expenses are now categorised as "well we could spend that, or the money could go in the cruise account instead!" :D

Cruising is so affordable for families too. It's a great way to see other places and again it works so well for families as it's all inclusive....helps the budget :D

Good for you guys!! I can see us booking a few more cruises in the next few years!!

Have you thought of booking a disabled (accessible) cabin for your Dad as this will assist him with extra room both in the cabin & the bathroom. My 88 year old Mother uses a "wheelie-walker" (Zimmer frame?) so certainly appreciated the grab bars & fold down seat in the bathroom.

Gae

Thanks Gae, that's exactly what we decided to do. The accessible rooms look and sound perfect for him with the rails etc in the bathroom. He is going to have a lovely time, I'm sure ;)

Yes, I do the same! Have even been putting off the required knee replacement in favour of extra cruises but now my mobility is so affected it must be done consequently a couple of cruises had to be cancelled :(

I have just done this cruise on P&O and the ports we visited Airlie Beach, Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) and Port Douglas are all tender ports and passengers must be able to walk and carry their folding

wheel chairs if necessary. They made the announcement that the wharves were not wheel chair friendly/accessible (I think the were actually) so that may be one thing to keep in mind.

I have just done this cruise on P&O and the ports we visited Airlie Beach, Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) and Port Douglas are all tender ports and passengers must be able to walk and carry their folding

wheel chairs if necessary. They made the announcement that the wharves were not wheel chair friendly/accessible (I think the were actually) so that may be one thing to keep in mind.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your feedback. Pretty sure mum & dad will stay on-board when at the ports...might get off in Cairns where the ship docks but other than that they'll be happy to stay on the ship.

This is their first cruise, funnily enough so they'll be happy to do that ;)

The ship tenders at Yorkeys Knob which is about approx. 15 min drive from Cairns. There should be shuttle buses provided.

It states that we dock in Cairns not tender. The only tender listed is for Airlie Beach. We actually dock in Cairns overnight so have two full days there :-)