Help me chose X excursion for Costa Rica

whataboutport

The X website is still not showing excursions thru the reservation, but I was able to access the excursions list thru the Capt Club. I have narrowed it down to four.

PL04 Aerial Tram $139pp 8 hrs incl lunch

If walking through a rain forest is exciting, then imagine the experience of traveling on top of it. It takes visitors on a seventy-five minute excursion through the canopy of the rain forest allowing them to discover the beauty of the hanging gardens of air plants and birds, hidden at the top of diverse tall trees. The tramway runs through a private reserve that borders the Braulio Carrillo National Park. This contributes to the protection of one of the richest canopy communities in the world. The canopy is full of both known and unknown plant species. The visitor will see canopy life and discover new things on the natural history world.

The lower outbound leg of the tram ride will skim over hilltops and introduce riders to the sub canopy, a dark world of overburdened limbs dripping with mosses, ferns and orchids. Lianas and vines drape over branches and traverse forest spaces where they are commonly used as paths by many animals. The motor coach ride to the Tram takes 1-1/2 hours each way. Lunch is included on your tour.

PL48 Costa Rica Favorites $149 9.5 hr

Overview: Explore the remote corners of the Costa Rican rainforest in two unforgettably unique ways - by aerial tram and jungle boat. Soar above the trees over a once inaccessible area of primary rainforest. Discover an ecosystem left entirely to the rules of nature. Descend to follow jungle paths through the dense underbrush. Then, board a covered boat and journey down the Tortuguero Canals. Be ready as monkeys, sloths, and toucans make regular appearances along the way.

Highlights: Enjoy an open-air tram tour through an untouched section of tropical rainforest. Board a jungle boat and cruise deep into the Costa Rican wilderness.

PL54 Rainforest Extravaganza $154 7.5 hr

Prepare for an enlightening and exquisite journey through the mysterious Costa Rican rainforest. Cruise through the winding Tortuguero canals, where crocodiles lurk and monkeys call from the trees. Enjoy a naturalist tour of snake, frog, and butterfly habitats. Learn about the National Biodiversity Institute's inspiring work and scientific research. Board an open-air tram and fly above trees that have stood for three centuries during this intrepid rainforest adventure.

Highlights: Enjoy a high-flying tram tour and pontoon boat ride through the jungle. See the exotic wildlife and rich flora of the Veragua rainforest. Meet with naturalists and scientists to learn about this important ecosystem.

PL58 $158 Veragua Rain Forest and Tortuguero Canals7.5 hr

Embark on a naturalist expedition through the unspoiled tropical wilderness of Veragua Park.Fly through the rainforest canopy in an open-air gondola. Explore the mysterious canals of the "Costa Rica Amazon" by jungle boat. Meet with experts to learn about deadly snakes, bizarre frogs, brilliant butterflies, and other jungle dwellers. Hike beneath the massive trees lining Victoria River. Spend the day immersed in and amazed by the incredible biodiversity of the Costa Rican jungle.

Highlights: Tour the rainforest of Veragua Park by air tram, jungle boat, and hiking on foot. See and learn about the rainforest's inhabitants including snakes, frogs, monkeys, toucans, and other wildlife. Immerse yourself in the serene world of fluttering butterflies as you stroll through a butterflygarden.

So the last three seem to be pretty much the same; air tram and canal tour. Anyone do any of these? Is lunch included? Which one has a longer tram ride? I read some of these the air tram ride is very short. Are the canals worth seeing?

Totuguero canal excursion we took with Celeb was very interesting...saw everything they list and more... including bats on trees..the tour boat used was sturdy(compared with some more rickety ones we saw out on the water) We had excellent guides...glad we went with the cruise line,

this was awhile ago and was not combined...long bus ride w interesting guide.. we did an aerial tram in Panama...combined w/ canals boat ride sounds great

whatever you pick will be interesting...depends on personal choice...we like shorter tour days and less hiking..

By the way : We have no tours listed for Montego Bay port..on our next cruise....do you think calling Cap Club would help....??????

I'm sure they are still "working" on their site. :rolleyes: I went and looked under Montego Bay in the Capt Club and nothing shows up. I guess you could try calling them. I've gotten thru to CC personnel much quicker than the regular customer service line. If your cruise is coming up fast I would call and see.

Anything that gets you to spend time on the canals to Tortuguero would be excellent. We have been going to Costa Rica for 20 years and if you want to see wildlife by trails or canopy you have to be there very early in the morning or in the evening. Just about all the wild life is hiding out during the heat of the day. CR is our second home:D

We did the Rainforest Extravaganza in Dec 2012. It was one of my favorite shore excursions. I can't find how much it cost for us. The park where we took the aerial tram was really interesting and the walkways were beautiful. And we saw sloths. Sloths in the wild were on my "must see" list.

Beth

We did the Rainforest Extravaganza in Dec 2012. It was one of my favorite shore excursions. I can't find how much it cost for us. The park where we took the aerial tram was really interesting and the walkways were beautiful. And we saw sloths. Sloths in the wild were on my "must see" list.

Beth

How long was the aerial tram portion of this tour?

Anything that gets you to spend time on the canals to Tortuguero would be excellent. We have been going to Costa Rica for 20 years and if you want to see wildlife by trails or canopy you have to be there very early in the morning or in the evening. Just about all the wild life is hiding out during the heat of the day. CR is our second home:D

Agree..Costa Rica is such a unique place.....friendly people, unspoiled nature and overall good vibe

Anyone else have any input?

I organized my own private tour to the Jaguar Rescue Center with JJ. We had a blast. You can find his contact information in the Costa Rica forum of shore excursions. It included admission to everything and lunch at a local restaurant, banana plantation. We even had time to shop locally including a grocery store where I bought coffee that friends and family still beg me to return there to get.

How long was the aerial tram portion of this tour?

Sorry to take so long to answer - but I don't have an answer. I'm not good with details - it was just the right length for me. Not long enough to get concerned about being way up there, and not so short that I thought it ended too soon. One person in our party is a little acrophobic (heights) and it didn't bother said person.

Beth