whale watching in Juneau

cmood

Hi All,

We are planning to do a Kenai Fjords NP cruise (5 hour wildlife tour) before our 7 day south bound cruising. Our cruise ship will stop at Juneau. Is it still necessary to book Whale watch excursion for that port day in Juneau?

If not, any other activity to recommand?

Thanks

CMOOD

You don't need to book it in advance, you can buy your tour right on the pier, there will be several to choose from. So if you decide that you didn't see enough whales at Kenai, you can always change your mind.

I know we'll take the hiking trail to the Mendenhall Glacier when we are in Juneau later this year. There are several other options that I've seen - things like sea kayaking, city/hatchery tours, and glacier dog sled tours. Depends on what you like.

Hi All,

We are planning to do a Kenai Fjords NP cruise (5 hour wildlife tour) before our 7 day south bound cruising. Our cruise ship will stop at Juneau. Is it still necessary to book Whale watch excursion for that port day in Juneau?

If not, any other activity to recommand?

Thanks

CMOOD

It is "necessary" for me. I have no clue what it is for you???? The Kenai Fjords boat tours are NOT whale watches. My stats are only about 50% of my trips, and I go out far more than most people. My trip later this month, I'll be going out three time, as an example. So questions to ask yourself- do I want to go on a whale watch, why the above question, what are mhy interests, what do I want out of my Alaska trip???

Perhaps answers will point you in the direction?

I do not agree with the above recommendation to book at the dock, (not sure if they have been there). I am very picky about my preferred whale watch vendor. There are 100's of tours to consider, way more that what I happen to prefer. So I suggest you take some time and look over a shore excursion, determine your interests.

We have been on two Alaska cruises and both times did whale watching with Harv and Marv. It was exceptional both times as they use small boats( we used a six passenger one) that can move places quickly. On our last visit this past September we were in the midst of a pod of 10 or so humpbacks and it was amazing.

We also pre book excursions as we look at CC for recommendations and then "discuss" with others on our cruise board.