Age of Cruisers

freddawgs

My wife and I are considering booking a 10 night Europe cruise next summer (2006). We are in our late twenties and were wondering about the age of the Oceania crowd. We've heard that most cruisers are 50 and older, and we were just wondering if anyone in their late twenties to mid-thirties has ever cruised with Oceania, and what your thoughts of the line are, did you feel welcome, etc. Thanks for the help.

Freddawgs,

You'll find that Oceania often attracts an older passenger mix than many other cruiselines and there are good reasons:

Oceania, though they allow kids, don't have any special facilities for them. So the 20-30-somethings with young kids, generally stay away from Oceania.

Oceania is more expensive than other lines, hence, it's often older people than can spend more on their vacations.

Oceania has longer cruises. Older people or people without kids (like me & DH) can get away for longer periods of time. Your 10 day itinerary is one of the shortest that Oceania does, so you might get a more younger mix than usual. (that's a crapshoot so don't depend on it)

All that said, I really think you shouldn't be turned off to Oceania. I've seen some 30 yr old people on my Oceania cruises, though they're in the minority. However, the older people that are drawn to Oceania tend to be a well travelled and sophisticated group. It's not Ma & Pa Kettle who've been saving their pennies for their once-in-a-lifetime vacation. The people who go on Oceania are generally world travelers and can tell you wonderful stories and give you tips about places you may be dreaming of going to.

There's always a trade-off. The disco isn't as active late at night as I'd like it to be, but then I don't have to hear screaming kids on the balcony next to ours. But if you really feel you won't be comfortable without a large number of the under 30 crowd, then you will not be happy on Oceania.

Freddawgs, I am 36 and experienced no age discrimination on Oceania. I was not the youngest on our Caribbean cruise. One of the most touching moments I witnessed on the cruise was an older couple who went everywhere with the husband pushing his wife in a wheelchair. Every day they were at dinner, by the pool, at tea, at the evening show, everything. They wanted to be part of the community on the ship. I thought it was very touching because they easily could have taken a different and easier path. You will find many people you have much in common with if you are open to them. If you only want to be around younger people, look to RCL or Carnival. The other posters have identified why you don't see many younger folks on Oceania. People go on cruises to have a good time, no matter what age they are. If you can make the best of that, you will have a great time.

stebul

Freddawgs, I am 36 and experienced no age discrimination on Oceania.

You know, it's not really a question of "age discrimination"...it's generally a question of comfort and style...

I'd like to be "political correct" and say that age doesn't matter...but to be blatant and forthright, it DOES matter...at least in some ways and not in others...

I have been on a lot of cruises where the age demographic varied across the range...Typically, you get a large number of people on a ship and, just by the law of probabbility, there will be folks representing virtually all age groups...and you really don't have to deal with all 700...or 2000 ...or 3000 people on your ship...You only have to associate with those with whom you are most comfortable...

That said, a lot of factors DO skew the demographics: Length and cost of cruise, itinerary, programs and amenities for kids, etc. That's not enough to completely wipe out any age demographic, but it could weigh it heavily...

A few years back, we took our teenaged daughters on a Baltic Cruise on Princess and the average passenger age had to be at least 85...Out of 2000+ passengers on board, the kids did a count on the number of teens (counting anyone between the ages of 12 and 20) and it wasn't that difficult a census--there were less than 20 on the ship...Likewise, we were among the scan few 40-somethings on board. Yes, we met plenty of very nice seniors, but, truth be told, it DID impact our enjoyment of the cruise...

Why? Well, for one, the whole ship basically shut down at 10:00 each night. The passengers were all in bed. You say, so what, the whole ship is yours? Well, not quite...Pizza closed down at 10:30. There were no late night Karaoke or Piano bar. Food at the buffet after dinner was limited to cookies, milk and coffee. Yeah, we had the whole ghost ship to ourselves with nothing to do. The entertainment on board was also geared to a much older crowd (Princess apparently knew who its clientele was). The shore excursions we did through the cruise line all moved VERY S L O W . . . We were always waiting for one elderly lady or another to catch up with the group...and it was not exactly like the "group" moved that fast. They played the "Newlywed Game" thing on board and every couple, even the Honeymoon couple, were Octagenarians. Cute, but it really got to be a running joke.

Now, I have nothing against older folks...Heavens knows, we all hope to get there some day ourselves...

But, in an ideal world, it's nice to have at least a decent number of people in one's own approximate age group on board...

Yes, although the older folks can share a lot of nice travel stories, there are all to many conversations about Arthritis, hip replacement surgery, Assisted Living and Medicare plans...

I would hope that the fear of being on a ship that may resemble a retirement home doesn't scare away too many younger people...

I will be cruising with Oceania for the itinerary, the food and the service...and in spite of my fears of age demographics (again NOT "discrimination"... Price and length of cruise SHOULDN'T prevent those of us still long from retirement from cruising with this line...There are lots of us who get a lot of vacation time at our jobs and who make pretty good money and can afford to do 14 night cruises at a little higher fare...If not, we'll suck it up and find older folks who can still walk unassisted, hear what we say and are willing to stay up past dinner time...and we'll make the best of it...

But, I'm not going to sail on Carnival just for the younger demographic either...

To Bruin Steve,

When I read your post last night, I thought you must have been very tired to post your feelings about those of us "older" Oceania passengers. Now, I read your post that you thought their hotel package was expensive and offensive. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, why would you even think about taking a cruise on Oceania and subject yourself to the older generation and to whatever policy about Oceania you don't like?

Sheila

Bruin Steve,

Our Oceania "retirement home" is full of great people, seasoned travelers, and most of us are fun to be with even if we go to bed early. Take a shot at leaving your preconceived notions home and having a wonderful cruise with your fellow passengers.

Digby, Sheila, Joan...

I am sorry if I offended you...

I was really just trying to be frank with my comments...

I can understand why people would rather be among those closer to their own age group. I read on these boards comments from a lot of older people who rage on about not wanting to be on a cruise with a lot of kids...

It's not that there's anything wrong with older people, younger people or those anywhere in the middle...

All I was saying was that topics of conversation tend to be different...The schedule and pace of activities tend to be different...

Not that one can't adjust or have a good time...

I know a lot of younger folks who get irritated being on Shore Excursions that move along slowly because the folks on the tour with them just don't quite get around as well anymore...And I'll imagine some folks in their 70s or 80s wouldn't care that much to be on a tour that was maintaining a rapid pace with everyone else being in their 20s and 30s and willing to literally run everywhere...

I know my in-laws, who are in their 80s, would be absolutely lost if seated at a table with a group of 40-somethings and all of the conversation revolved around Rock Music, Computer programs and cultural icons of the Baby Boom generation... They'd be more lost--and so would I--if seated with an entire group of 20-somethings and the conversation was all about Punk Music, Video Games and and Moto-X racing...

Sure, we can all hold our own in a variety of topics...and there are always areas of commonality...BUT, that isn't always the case...When anyone finds themselves in a group where EVERYONE else is 30 or 40 years off their own age group--in WHICHEVER direction, it typically does not make for the most enjoyable or comfortable experience...

I am not saying all of this to insult or demean anyone...just to point out the "Emperor's New Clothes", so to speak...something most people seem unwilling to come out and say...

Do you REALLY all feel that much differently? Who do you associate with when you are NOT on a cruise? Are your friends mostly in an age group other than your own? When you throw a Wedding or other affair where you are required to assign table seating, do you put together tables of people in similar age groups...or do you put together, say, a table with nine octagenarians and one 30 year old and another table with nine 20-somethings and one elderly retired person (and remember, for a cruise, we are not talking about related people, like sitting a grandmother with her grandkids)? Clearly, if you REALLY believe age makes absolutely no difference, those are the sort of things you would be doing...

It's really nice to say age is irrelevant...but, seriously, tell me where I am wrong...

And yes, these are generalizations

When I read your post last night, I thought you must have been very tired to post your feelings about those of us "older" Oceania passengers. Now, I read your post that you thought their hotel package was expensive and offensive. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, why would you even think about taking a cruise on Oceania and subject yourself to the older generation and to whatever policy about Oceania you don't like?

Sheila,

I know my writing style, at times, can be a little sarcastic...but, I really wasn't espousing "my feelings" about "older" people in any specific form...just trying to rebut the notion that "age doesn't matter"...It doesn't in MANY respects, but it does in some...I can even understand why, say, a couple of twenty-somethings wouldn't feel quite as comfortable on a cruise if every other passenger was MY age...

Something I guess I learned back in Law School--playing Devil's Advocate...

The reason for my initial response was that the OP was a 20-something and was concerned about everybody being "over 50"...Everyone's responses were that it didn't matter...I sensed it did to the OP...Maybe he was looking for some reassurance...but maybe he was looking for some honesty...If he thinks it matters, maybe it does...So, my response was really aimed at him...NOT aimed at offending you...

As to my posts regarding Oceania's hotel packages, though...I completely stand by those...Their hotel packages ARE overpriced...The good thing is that they're only an option...I'd guess MANY Oceania cruisers DON'T opt for them due to the price...

I said they were "offensive" because that's how I reacted to them...I CAN afford them...I just have trouble, philosophically, with paying rates that are not even in accord with what other lines charge...

But, it's not any "policy" of the cruise line that I have a problem with...I have no problem with any of their "policies" that I know of...And I don't have a problem with whoever cruises on their line, whatever age or any other demographic...Of course, I truly don't expect the ship to be filled with all octagenarians either...I will take my chances that there is somewhat of a spread on board...and though it is undoubtedly slightly skewed towards "older" (as so many others pointed out as well, for various reasons), I REALLY don't have a problem with that...

Peace...

I know a lot of younger folks who get irritated being on Shore Excursions that move along slowly because the folks on the tour with them just don't quite get around as well anymore...And I'll imagine some folks in their 70s or 80s wouldn't care that much to be on a tour that was maintaining a rapid pace with everyone else being in their 20s and 30s and willing to literally run everywhere...

I know my in-laws, who are in their 80s, would be absolutely lost if seated at a table with a group of 40-somethings and all of the conversation revolved around Rock Music, Computer programs and cultural icons of the Baby Boom generation... They'd be more lost--and so would I--if seated with an entire group of 20-somethings and the conversation was all about Punk Music, Video Games and and Moto-X racing...

I think you may lead a sheltered life!

Many people we met on the cruise were not slow moving or boring quite the contrary. A lot of people do the treadmills and the track as well as many port intensive tours without signs of slowing down.

We are in our mid 50's and there were many people a lot older than us were still up in the bar or lounge well past my bedtime at 11pm

We met a man ( not on O) but he is 84 and takes 3-4 cruises a year, he usually walks into town and does his own tour ...he has a cane to help with his artifical hip, a metal rod in his back and other bits of metal in his body but he has more energy than I do!

The nice thing about O dining arrangements is if you get a table with people that you cannot carry on a conversation with you are not stuck with them ( or them with you) the whole cruise.

Each night is a chance to meet a new friend or not, it is up to you.

Keep an open mind you may be pleasantly surprised.

My first thought Steve when I read your initial post was to say, that I betya you are older than many of us who are loyal O cruisers..and the owner too!

I didn't...

but now........

so you will find people from 20's up.. meet who you want to , hang with your wife or your new friends.

I will tell you that if you also are looking for 2 am disco ain't gonna happen on these ships.

I would never ever again do a ship board bus type tour, even if it was free, for exactly the same reason you stated. We always

hire our own drivers and guides in advance, or grab a taxi..

Some folks take ship bus tours because they know they will see what they came to see and they can take their time, and the bus will wait for them.

You will love Oceania if, you have a real love for travel, love for beautiful surroundings that will be your home for about 10 ( or more days)

great food and like to meet or not but to be with at least intelligent well traveled people.

Bruin Steve,

I agree with some of your sentiments and also Iwish there were more "40 somethings" on our Oceania cruises. I do enjoy the friendship of people of all ages and we have friends that are 30 years older than us. However, when we go up to the disco and there's 10 people there, it's just not as much fun.

And like you, we're not going to put up with activities like wet tee shirt contests and singing waiters just to have a younger overall demographic.

BTW, on our Princess cruise to the Baltics last summer, there were many teenagers onboard and the disco's and bars were hopping at night. Sounds like you hit on an "off" week.

Jane

This was our experience on a two week Oceania Voyage - Venice to Lisbon in 2004....I have to say that B.S. (oops, Bruin Steve) is right on in his analysis.

Just be aware that since itineraries are so port intensive that the crowd that goes may not be as important where the on board experience is the primary draw.....

Crowd that goes - we are a well traveled professional couple in our mid 40's and found that the majority of the crowd was much older than us. Some interesting and friendly but many others not so. Seemed like some people always wanted to tell you want they had as far as assets, designer goods etc. One incident that I remember is that we were asked by another couple if we were "still working". When we said we were they just kind of looked down their noses at us. Whatever. Some passengers were very demanding of staff; not with requests but absolute demands. After a while we tried to stick to 2 tops for dining but sometimes the tables are so close it did not help.

Would I go again - Of course, in a heartbeat but would carefully compare other lines as to value and crowd that goes..

Hi. I am an 18 yr old (19 when we cruise) and my sisters will be 16 and 12 when we go. We are going to take the Insignia July 10, 2006 London-Stockholm with my family. So there were no kids at all on board? Would we be miserable?

Hi Lilmermaide,

We have taken over 20 cruises -- almost all without our children. When we took our children, it was on RCCL so they would have other children around to socialize with. Oceania is not geared for children's activities. We have a 16 year old granddaughter and would take her on Princess or Celebrity which do the Baltic Cruises. Oceania runs a port intensive cruise which means maybe two days at sea during the 12 or 14 day cruise. There are no movies shown except in your own cabin on the DVD player. I suggest you talk to your parents -- maybe they are not aware that Oceania is not a cruise line that caters to children. If you and your sisters are really interested in the history of all the ports and would just like to share this wonderful experience with your parents, it could be a wonderful bonding experience before you go off to college. You could also go on the Princess or Celebrity board and ask the same question about those cruiselines.

Sheila

Guest Jancruz

Sheila, that was a wonderful thoughtful answer..agents that dont know better book children on this cruise and that is always a mistake unless the parents are told upfront there are NO activities for young people and usually no other young people on board..

Jan:)

Hi. I am an 18 yr old (19 when we cruise) and my sisters will be 16 and 12 when we go. We are going to take the Insignia July 10, 2006 London-Stockholm with my family. So there were no kids at all on board? Would we be miserable?

Hi Lilmermaide,

I have 4 stepchildren who range in age from 10 - 17. They love cruising, but when we take them on a cruise with us, we go on RCCL (Royal Caribbean), as there are lots of other children on board.

When my husband and I go by ourselves (I'm late 30's and the DH is mid 40's), we like Oceania because of the ports.

Have your sisters and you thought about what you were expecting from this trip? If you wanted to see lots of interesting parts of the world, this is a great itineray (we leave in 2 days to do the same trip and I can't wait). However, if you want to hang out with other kids you may be disappointed. How well do the 3 of you get along? Have you done trips before where you were the only kids? You will not have the normal "kids camp" type activities that you would on other cruiselines, but I'm guessing at 19 you might not want that anyway.

Now, for a big plus, the food is way better on Oceania then on RCCL, so if you like fantastic food, you would like it. The other plus is that there are not thousands of people getting on and off the ship at the same time. The library is good, there is internet on board (warning it is really expensive...like almost $1 per minute), and depending on what cabin type you get there are DVD players on board. There is also a nice pool and jacuzzi tub.

Personally, we would not take the kids on Oceania as they like being around other kids (especially the 10 and 13 year old).

Whatever your decision, I think that you are very lucky to have the opportunity to see a wonderful part of the world.

Good luck with your voyage.

Elin

Archived