For all non-UK cruisers...

ItalianGuest

Hello,

have you ever booked through an on-line British travel agency?

They rate are often better but I don't know if they're suitable also for non-UK citizens.

Have you ever tried?

Any experience or comment is welcome!:)

Thanks in advance,

ItalianGuest

We typically book directly with Cunard, looking for good prices when we are booking. We live in the USA.

Comparing fares with people who live in the UK (after we are all onboard during a voyage), it seems like we all do about the same.

We did dine (on one voyage) with two people (she an American and he from England) who told us that he bought both of their tickets in England and they ran into Visa problems. Brazil requires a Visa from US citizens, but not from UK citizens. Because her ticket was purchased in the UK, there was no information passed on and she wasn't allowed to board the ship from Florida--because she didn't have a Visa. The QM2 sailed without her and she had to go to Miami, get an expensive "rush Visa" then fly to Grenada to board the ship two days later….

If her ticket had been purchased in the country where she was a citizen, the information about needing a Visa would have been passed on to her.

I think it can sometimes be very important to buy tickets in one's own country. Cost is one issue but there can be other issues regarding your country's relations with other countries, which a "foreign travel agent" will not understand…. May not apply to all situations, or all sailings, but could be an important factor on some voyages...

We typically book directly with Cunard, looking for good prices when we are booking. We live in the USA. Comparing fares with people who live in the UK (after we are all onboard during a voyage), it seems like we all do about the same. We did dine (on one voyage) with two people (she an American and he from England) who told us that he bought both of their tickets in England and they ran into Visa problems. Brazil requires a Visa from US citizens, but not from UK citizens. Because her ticket was purchased in the UK, there was no information passed on and she wasn't allowed to board the ship from Florida--because she didn't have a Visa. The QM2 sailed without her and she had to go to Miami, get an expensive "rush Visa" then fly to Grenada to board the ship two days later…. If her ticket had been purchased in the country where she was a citizen, the information about needing a Visa would have been passed on to her. I think it can sometimes be very important to buy tickets in one's own country. Cost is one issue but there can be other issues regarding your country's relations with other countries, which a "foreign travel agent" will not understand…. May not apply to all situations, or all sailings, but could be an important factor on some voyages...
Excellent points to raise, thank you for posting this informative and thought-provoking comment :)

In my opinion it is hazardous to rely on the advice of some travel agents regarding whether visas are required or not. I certainly would always check the requirements with the relevant government of the country in question if I had never been there before. I certainly wouldn't allow this issue to stop me booking tickets through another country.

Hello,

thank you very much for your valuable feedback!:)

Now I'm a bit worried about this possibility. I would not be rejected on the day of embarkation!:(

Once again thank you. Regards

ItalianGuest

I am UK based and have booked my next voyage with a US agent. I asked if it was OK to do it, and they said it was fine. They said some cruise lines don't allow or like it, but Cunard, for industry people, don't mind it.

Of course, I now have to try and get them to sort out my CWC number and benefits, which I understand involves creating a US based account and copying my cruise history on to it to attain the same benefits, or something like that… :-/

I am UK based and have booked my next voyage with a US agent. I asked if it was OK to do it, and they said it was fine. They said some cruise lines don't allow or like it, but Cunard, for industry people, don't mind it.

Of course, I now have to try and get them to sort out my CWC number and benefits, which I understand involves creating a US based account and copying my cruise history on to it to attain the same benefits, or something like that… :-/

My best wishes!

I really hope you will have no problems.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

But I do not fell to do the same!

Ciao

ItalianGuest

My best wishes!

I really hope you will have no problems.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

But I do not fell to do the same!

Ciao

ItalianGuest

Thank you. And I hope you have a wonderful time onboard!

T5

Be aware of the different T&C That apply to U.K. Bookings like!! the deposit is NON refundable & that many U.K. travel agents want final payment 120 days before sailing not 90 days.

On one Cunard cruise we sat at dinner with a couple who had their cruise booked by their daughter as a present and who lived in the USA and booked it in the USA, while the couple lived in the UK. At embarkation they were held up for over an hour because they were not resident in the country where the booking had been made. Apparently they were going to be refused to sail but after much discussion and telephoning various places they were eventually allowed to board.

Would it really be worth the trouble to book in a non-resident country to maybe save a few pounds, I don't think so!

Would it really be worth the trouble to book in a non-resident country to maybe save a few pounds, I don't think so!

In my case, we are not talking "a few pounds", we are talking several hundred of those pounds… And, whilst I know people mention on here a lot about "if you can't afford to do it, and pay for everything else onboard, you should not be doing it…", but, to hand over several hundred pounds more, for exactly the same thing, yes, to me, it is worth it.

In my case, we are not talking "a few pounds", we are talking several hundred of those pounds… And, whilst I know people mention on here a lot about "if you can't afford to do it, and pay for everything else onboard, you should not be doing it…", but, to hand over several hundred pounds more, for exactly the same thing, yes, to me, it is worth it.

Hi T5LHR. For obvious reasons, a trusted, experienced crew member such as yourself with international flight experience will not have to jump the same hoops as other non 'in-line passengers'. Therefore your booking status in terms of conditions or fares is not handled in the same manner as other passengers, so perhaps your experience differs?

On one Cunard cruise we sat at dinner with a couple who had their cruise booked by their daughter as a present and who lived in the USA and booked it in the USA, while the couple lived in the UK. At embarkation they were held up for over an hour because they were not resident in the country where the booking had been made. Apparently they were going to be refused to sail but after much discussion and telephoning various places they were eventually allowed to board.

Nor do I.

Hi T5LHR. For obvious reasons, a trusted, experienced crew member such as yourself with international flight experience will not have to jump the same hoops as other non 'in-line passengers'. Therefore your booking status in terms of conditions or fares is not handled in the same manner as other passengers, so perhaps your experience differs?

As far as I am aware, all the terms and conditions are exactly the same, it is simply an industry discounted rate. I have to abide by all the same conditions etc. It just happens to be that the agent I am able to use (after providing proof of my employment) is able to access lower fares etc. The confirmation information that I get is the same, I think the only bit that may differ is the part about the possibility of the line requiring ID at some point.

The non-UK booking status appears to be the same as a non-industry person booking outside the UK. WC number not recognised, Cunard UK not able to touch the booking, issues linking dining requests in the UK etc…