Canyon Ranch spa-questions re various services

maina

We didn't avail ourselves of Canyon Ranch spa on our first crossing on the QM 2, but hope to do so this time. We'll have more time because it's an 8-day crossing. I have questions from users of several services as to what they thought of the services (worthwhile, helpful, value for cost, etc.?). The services we might be interested in are: canyon ranch massage; chiropractic session; personal training session; basic fitness assessment. The massage and personal training session can be given for 2 at once, which lowers the cost if done separately. We are in the "elder" demographic, and reasonably healthy. Presumably the staff at the spa are used to dealing with folks like us, given Cunard's typical clientele. :D

Besides the services I mentioned here, are there other (non-beauty-related) ones that people particularly liked, especially the gentlemen out there? How about exercise classes? What's the typical age range of people who participate in those? Our shoreside experience is that most places that offer classes, fitness assessments, exercise equipment, etc. are geared toward a younger and already fitter clientele.

Maina,

I used the Canyon Ranch Spa on the 24 June sailing from Southampton. I did not use any of the services you identified, e.g., massage. I bought the week long "spa" pass for $105 instead of paying $40 per day. This pass gained me access to the steam room, sauna, relaxation/quiet space, and hydrotubs. I also bought a spinning class for $15 for a 45 minute class. In general I was disappointed. The staff was pleasant but I am not sure they are qualified to "train" anyone. The space was pleasant but again I question whether it was worth $40/$105.

The "free" classes offered by Canyon Ranch were NOT held in the spa area but in spaces available at the time e.g., Queens room for a 30 minute morning stretch. The schedule changed daily, so I could not plan on going to stretching, or spinning, or to another class until the next days programme became available after dinner. Also, some of the classes were held in small, dark, spaces, e.g., Knightsbridge room. Finally, guests were to sign-up the night before for either the paid or free classes. The challenge was finding the sign-up notebook. Sometimes I thought I was on a scavenger hunt.

The negatives aside, the exercise equipment, e.g., bikes, treadmills, was in excellent condition. The space has windows, it is well ventilated, spotlessly clean, and I happily put in my "exercise" time to prevent voyage weight gain.

I know I did not address your questions about services, but I hope I helped you understand a little more about the spa facility on the QMII.

Have a wonderful crossing, I LOVED my experience on the QMII.

Julie

I did think the spa was worth the $105. We enjoyed it especially the hydrotherapy pool and the quiet area. Can't comment on the classes though but the place was spotless. It handy for an extra shower as well when you are both getting ready for dinner. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I purchased a spa pass for a week and only used it once. I normally spent vast amounts of time in cruise spas but not on the QM2. The women's locker room had many broken lockers and I had to hunt to find a robe. The hydro therapy pool was not up to part. Most hydro pools have built in steps so you gradually enter- not this one. It was five feet deep everywhere and constructed like a small swimming pool with entrance via a steep ladder. since I am short; and neglected to read the dignity displaying the depth, it was quite a surprise to have to swim in a hydro pool to use the center jets. I looked around for heated stone loungers but there were none.

The quiet,relaxing room was very pleasant but the rest was not.

• 2 weeks later...
gratuities, gratuities ,,,,, when I signed up for classes an automatic "discretionary" gratuity was added to my bill. fyi,

My understanding is that only the Hotel and Dining charge is discretionary. Spa and Salon services, beverage service charges, etc, are not discretionary. But what classes did you sign up for that included a gratuity?

BTW, I just read that the H&D charge on Carnival ships has been increased. Surprised I would not be to see Cunard H&D charges also increased.

Edited by Salacia

How about exercise classes? What's the typical age range of people who participate in those? Our shoreside experience is that most places that offer classes, fitness assessments, exercise equipment, etc. are geared toward a younger and already fitter clientele.

I found the classes I attended were not really for the fitter clientele at all. Pilates is usually the thing I go for and it was more of a beginner's class. I understand that as many said they hadn't done it before and also the average age was 60s-70s. But at home the age range is the same in my class and the instructor gives a variety of "levels" to the exercises so everyone can choose which level suits them best. Also gives some alternatives for those with back or knee problems, which is great.

That being said when I mentioned this to someone else who had attended spinning, they said it was a good workout and they attended classes regularly at home. Although of course with spinning, you can adjust the resistance yourself on the bikes so you can make it as easy or difficult as you like.

My understanding is that only the Hotel and Dining charge is discretionary. Spa and Salon services, beverage service charges, etc, are not discretionary. But what classes did you sign up for that included a gratuity?

BTW, I just read that the H&D charge on Carnival ships has been increased. Surprised I would not be to see Cunard H&D charges also increased.

That is my understanding too. I had a service charge for pilates.

I've not used any of the training sessions but have used the aromatherapy massage. They'll make it as gentle or as deep as you want it. For me, I wanted it gentle and didn't want to come from the session as if I had undergone a beating. But others prefer a deep tissue massage.

If you specifically ask for a masseur you'll get one but I've never had any uneasiness with an opposite gender operator. They're very good at keep you "covered" and maintaining modesty.