Internet connectivity on Voyager

My wife and I will be travelling along with some relatives on 8/26 and there are a few of us who for numerous reasons must stay in touch with relatives and work. Can anyone explain how the internet works on the Voyager? I have read that there is now availability in the staterooms for a price. Is this true and roughly how much is it? I also read that there is wireless available. Does anyone know of the price / availability of that? I sailed on the Enchantment 2 years ago and the only connectivity was in the internet cafe. It was hit and miss, but did enable me to stay in communication once a day for email without spending $8 per minute on the phone. Any information from recent cruisers will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Bob & Carol

This is what I have on onboard internet, which I have used extensively. I am thinking of using the wireless capability on our upcoming Brilliance cruise.

If you use the internet lounges, then check the speed on a few machines because there are always some that are faster than others. Also, check for stations outside the lounges, as they are more private and usually no one is there. Like being in a sound booth.

Internet Pre-Paid Packages (wireless included)

$25- 60 minutes

$35- 90 minutes

$50- 150 minutes.

Cyber-cabin: (for dial-up)

$125 for 12 nights plus a $25 refundable deposit for the cord, for unlimited use. I believe it's $100 for a 7 night cruise.

Wireless:

There are hotspots all over the ships that are equipped, and check the RCI web site for the ships they have rolled it out on. I think they are all supposed to be done by this Fall.

The per minute charge is 50 cents if you don't purchase a pre-paid package or use cyber-cabin. This per minute charge is applicable to wireless and using their internet lounges, both.

AOL chronically does NOT work well on board ship. Use a "public" email site, like hotmail or yahoo. You can configure them to pick-up and send via your usual email provider. I had trouble with my local telphone DSL provider's webmail site, but have no problem with Yahoo.

So the connection in the rooms is dial-up? Not a network connection to the same bandwidth offered at the internet cafe or wireless hotspots?

I really don't care about speed as long as I can check e-mail 1-2 times daily and avoid the ship to shore phone charges.

Yes, cabin is dial-up and not the fastest, depending on the ship. If your cabin is in a good location, you might be able to get wireless from a nearby hotspot.

We have a cabin on the Brilliance that appears to be very close to the internet lounge, so I might be able to use wireless from the cabin.

I've used internet email from the ship for several years. Very convenient, just not with AOL.

Enjoy!

We were on the Voyager in July and they had several wireless hotspots around the ship. The connection was fast. It did have the 802.11X/X /X compatability. We purchased the bundled minutes which worked out to be about I believe 39 cents a minute. I like the idea that I was able to go different hotspots around the ship enjoy the scenery and use my laptop.

Archived