Fantasy vs Fascination

paulypride

Hi Everyone!

I am going to take my Mom on a cruise at the beginning of December.

Considering the Fantasy and the Fascination since they are the closest ships to my Mom in Roanoke, Va.

I have been on the Fascination, never on the Fantasy

Would love to get some feedback/ideas...

crew?

lounges?

shows?

the itineraries are pretty much the Nass/Freeport ones.

Thanks!

I have cruised on both and don't prefer one over the other. Was on the Fantasy in February, and will be on the Fascination again next month. The ships are nearly identical, with the only major difference being that the Fantasy didn't have the extra balconies installed when she was upgraded.

Okay, this will probably sound very biased because I have only sailed the Fantasy. It is the oldest ship, but well cared for. The service was some of the best we have ever had. The layout made getting around the ship very easy. The one thing that would sell me over the Fascination is the opportunity to visit Charleston a day before or after the cruise. I can tell you it's a beautiful city and a must see.....and I'm not just saying that because I live here. ;)

We have sailed on both the Fascination and the Fantasy. In my opinion, even though they are identical, the Fantasy wins hands down. The crew was much friendlier, the ship seemed better maintained, and the food seemed to be much better. Even though they both have the same itinerary and the Fascination may be a few dollars cheaper, we keep going back to the Fantasy.

Our November trip will make 10 on this ship, with the first when she was out of Port Canaveral in '96.

Charleston is the best port but has one of the most unusual processes to get you on-board. None of this is BAD or a negative, it's just one of those times when you think out loud "who thinks up this ****"

You are on-board just as fast as any other vessel at any port but it is "totally odd" {or that's what your teenage daughter would call it}.

As for the vessel, yep she's the oldest in the Carnival fleet. Yep she's the smallest. Do you know that she is the top rated ship in Carnival time and time again? The nice part is that she is not so large that you visit your Cruise Critic group one time then you never run into any of them again. You will see your friends daily. It's very pleasant.

Her open spaces on deck are huge, even larger than on the Dream class as I remember. I've always felt that if you are on a cruise and want to be "in the open" then go to an open deck! The balconies are just too sheltered, no sun, no moon, no etc...

I think it has to do with the clientele. You have quite a few "southerners" that take her voyages. Yes we talk to strangers, yes we socialize in elevators {not staring at the floor}, yes we help each other, etc.

As for the port, what can I say? Condé Nast top city in the USA three years in a row!

WrhIXE8tz2E

You decide!

Our November trip will make 10 on this ship, with the first when she was out of Port Canaveral in '96.

Charleston is the best port but has one of the most unusual processes to get you on-board. None of this is BAD or a negative, it's just one of those times when you think out loud "who thinks up this ****"

You are on-board just as fast as any other vessel at any port but it is "totally odd" {or that's what your teenage daughter would call it}.

As for the vessel, yep she's the oldest in the Carnival fleet. Yep she's the smallest. Do you know that she is the top rated ship in Carnival time and time again? The nice part is that she is not so large that you visit your Cruise Critic group one time then you never run into any of them again. You will see your friends daily. It's very pleasant.

Her open spaces on deck are huge, even larger than on the Dream class as I remember. I've always felt that if you are on a cruise and want to be "in the open" then go to an open deck! The balconies are just too sheltered, no sun, no moon, no etc...

I think it has to do with the clientele. You have quite a few "southerners" that take her voyages. Yes we talk to strangers, yes we socialize in elevators {not staring at the floor}, yes we help each other, etc.

As for the port, what can I say? Condé Nast top city in the USA three years in a row!

WrhIXE8tz2E

You decide!

Great video!

AHOY SHIPMATES

I have only sailed on the FASCINATION recently, about once a month in the past year. I live about 20 minutes from the port. It is very easy to get to and the " natives" are friendly. I have found the crew & Staff to be VERY friendly,

food is good, entertainment is standard Carnival. Best meal I have had on cruise ships is the Mongolian BBQ at noon each day on the LIDO deck. Coffee on lido is terrible but great if mixed with hot chocolate. Coffee in MDR is very good. 5 day cruises are usually less wild that the 3 n 4 day ones. Half Moon Cay is much nicer than Little stirup Cat if you have a choice of which time to go.....they alternate. Any more specific questions just ask.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

I too am trying to decide between Fantasy and Fascination. Fantasy is closer but Fascination is cheaper. One thing I love about the Fantasy is the inside relaxation area with the chaise lounge chairs. Great retreat after a long day in the sun. Looking through review pictures, I have not seen this on the Fascination.