Scooter Rental for Guest with mobility issues

paulypride

Scooter rental is done through a company that cruise line uses.

Call Princess to get the information. Hopefully the person has used a scooter in the past. Nothing worse than inexperienced person using these. We have been backed into, feet rode over etc.

When we rented an oxygen concentrator for a 10 and for a 20 day cruise there was not a lot of difference in price. It would seem that the delivery and pickup fee is a big part of the pricing. That fee may vary from port to port? Best to call or email.

Scooter must be rented from the cruise lines approved vendor if wanting it delivered to and picked up from the ship.

Rental costs based in the following for both companies therefore you must call the company directly for pricing.

[*]Weight and Height of the user

[*]Weight capacity of scooter

[*]Number of days needed

[*][*]Embarkation Port*

[*]Disembarkation Port*

[*] *If round trip the same port it's generally less expensive that beginning and ending in different port

[*]If purchase insurance.

Equipment classification/types and prices vary between companies so it's important to check with both companies if cruising other than NCL.

A scooter with a 350 LBS weight capacity is a full size scooter and generally will not fit through a standard cabin doorway. You will need to have booked and accessible cabin as regardless of cruise line Scooters MUST be stored in the cabin at all times. This is a Maritime Safety regulation under SOLAS, the Coast Guard and the cruise line . If left out in the hallway you impair the safety and movement of all regardless of disability or not.

Edited by xxoocruiser

A scooter with a 350 LBS weight capacity is a full size scooter and generally will not fit through a standard cabin doorway. You will need to have booked and accessible cabin as regardless of cruise line Scooters MUST be stored in the cabin at all times. This is a Maritime Safety regulation under SOLAS, the Coast Guard and the cruise line . If left out in the hallway you impair the safety and movement of all regardless of disability or not.
This is very true. You must book a handicapped cabin as there's no way to get the scooter through the door and it cannot be stored in the hallway or any public place. Nor can your steward store it for you. There's no place to put it.

This is very true. You must book a handicapped cabin as there's no way to get the scooter through the door and it cannot be stored in the hallway or any public place. Nor can your steward store it for you. There's no place to put it.

If I booked a S6 or S5 suite on the coral would it fit, or does it have to be a handicapped room? Thanks

If I booked a S6 or S5 suite on the coral would it fit, or does it have to be a handicapped room? Thanks

An S5 or S6 Balcony suite on the Coral Princess will have enough interior room for a full size mobility scooter. However the real question is whether or not the scooter will fit through the main cabin entry door ? Most standard cabin doorways are on average 23" wide frame to frame. 2" must than be deducted for the debt of the door as it does not open flush to the wall leaving inly 21" of clearance for a mobility scooter to fit through. Though depending on the ship the doors for full suited may b wider.

Typically a full size 3 wheel scooter is on average 23" at the base and depending on how far apart the arm rests need to be set the actual with may be wider. You need to call Princess Cruise Lines to ask what the door width is for a Balcony suite. Remember that you need to deduct 2" from the number that Princess.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. My sister can walk out to balcony and bathroom, just getting around ship would be difficult. Sorry another question, going on the upper decks for the glacier viewing, I assume you have to take the stairs?

Thanks, I'll give them a call. My sister can walk out to balcony and bathroom, just getting around ship would be difficult. Sorry another question, going on the upper decks for the glacier viewing, I assume you have to take the stairs?

Based on your assumption you obviously have not looked at the deck plans for the Coral Princess . There is elevator access up to and including Deck 15 - Sun deck which is the deck most often used for glacier viewing. The only deck that has no elevator access is Deck 16 - Sports deck .

Link to deck plans http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=CO

Edited by xxoocruiser

Call Princess . I believe your biggest problem is the width of the door

For what it's worth the width of door being an issue has already been brought to the attention of poster "hollon". Also "hollon" advised in post # 13 that they would call the cruise line.