Booking kids & swapping rooms

bassspanker

We're taking the quick Baja cruise out of Long Beach next week. First time to bring the kids along on a cruise.

I just read another thread that got me thinking about how we booked the kids. I booked 2 staterooms online, and didn't want to run into any problems with how the automated system would interpret 2 minors booked in one room. So I just made the reservation with one adult and one kid in each. We chose 2 staterooms next door to each other.

Of course, when we board we intend for the kids to take one room and my wife & I will take the other. This is OK, right? Is Carnival going to care who sleeps in which room once we're boarded? Or should we ask them to switch our room assignments around so nobody gets confused?

I'm also wondering about keys. I'm sure we can get extra keys upon request if needed. But I'm wondering if they can code our key cards so Mom & Dad's keys can open both rooms? That would make things a lot easier.

Or maybe I'm way over-thinking this, and none of this will be a big deal. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

How old are the kids? Are they old enough to go to the cabin by themselves?

If not, do nothing. If they are go to guest services and get room keys. The only problem is now two of you will have to carry around two cards.

if they are your own kids they could be booked in the cabin alone. Especially since it is next door. Ask your agent to make the switch. BUT if you are buying the drink program I would leave it alone.

But if you are taking a friend-- thats different.

We're taking the quick Baja cruise out of Long Beach next week. First time to bring the kids along on a cruise.

I just read another thread that got me thinking about how we booked the kids. I booked 2 staterooms online, and didn't want to run into any problems with how the automated system would interpret 2 minors booked in one room. So I just made the reservation with one adult and one kid in each. We chose 2 staterooms next door to each other.

Of course, when we board we intend for the kids to take one room and my wife & I will take the other. This is OK, right? Is Carnival going to care who sleeps in which room once we're boarded? Or should we ask them to switch our room assignments around so nobody gets confused?

I'm also wondering about keys. I'm sure we can get extra keys upon request if needed. But I'm wondering if they can code our key cards so Mom & Dad's keys can open both rooms? That would make things a lot easier.

Or maybe I'm way over-thinking this, and none of this will be a big deal. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

We have moved people to different rooms on a few cruises. The sign and sail card will only work for the room that person is reserved to, but you can get key cards made at guest services so you all have keys to both rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by StaceySteveDMB

AHOY SHIPMATE,

RELAX, HOW OLD ARE KIDS? EACH PERSON GETS A KEY TO ROOM THEY ARE BOOKED IN. IF KIDS GENERALLY ROAM TOGETHER , JUST KEEP ONE OF THEIR KEYS YOURSELF AND PLAY IT BY EAR. DON'T BOTHER FRONT DESK UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. ALSO DON'T BE IN A HURRY TO MAKE CHANGES ON DAY OF BOARDING. YOU CAN GET A LOT MORE DONE EARLY ON NEXT MORNING.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE, SPEND LIBERALLY i HAVE SOME CARNIVAL STOCK

We always book with one adult in each room. Then once on board, we go to Guest Services and tell them my son and husband need to switch rooms. They issue both of them new S&S cards and the switch is done. Never a problem.

They don't code room keys the same for multiple rooms anymore. At least they didn't on the Dream 2 weeks ago. They did give us door keys only though. I booked adults in a balcony with kids across the hall in a inside room so I can't answer about switching rooms but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Kids are 6 & 11. The 11 year old will need his own card for cabin access. The 6 year old will always be with someone else, so the key card isn't a big deal.

So if getting the SS cards straight is the only issue, it sounds like it won't be a big deal at all.

One follow-up question-

I don't plan on giving my 11yo any charging privileges on his card. But I did notice that you can set up a cash account. But it looks like they require a minimum $100 deposit. There's no way I'm giving him $100. But I thought it might be convenient to be able to load smaller amounts on his card for allowance or reward money if he earns it. Does anyone know if they can do this for kids?

I'm thinking he should be happy enough with all the free stuff on the ship. But it might be a nice incentive to let him earn some money for a souvenir or video games, or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback. Kids are 6 & 11. The 11 year old will need his own card for cabin access. The 6 year old will always be with someone else, so the key card isn't a big deal.

So if getting the SS cards straight is the only issue, it sounds like it won't be a big deal at all.

One follow-up question-

I don't plan on giving my 11yo any charging privileges on his card. But I did notice that you can set up a cash account. But it looks like they require a minimum $100 deposit. There's no way I'm giving him $100. But I thought it might be convenient to be able to load smaller amounts on his card for allowance or reward money if he earns it. Does anyone know if they can do this for kids?

I'm thinking he should be happy enough with all the free stuff on the ship. But it might be a nice incentive to let him earn some money for a souvenir or video games, or whatever.

You can set a daily limit for spending on their accounts and leave them on your CC.

You can set a daily limit for spending on their accounts and leave them on your CC.

but ya know-- kids can go over. and because they are minors you are stuck with that bill.

At 11 years old he should know what his limit is and stick with it.

Arcade charges can really rack up the dollars. Not much they can spend for onboard stuff, soda, frozen drinks.

stuff in the store is uber expensive

So, do you mean you can have guest services cap the spending on the card? Or are you just suggesting that I enforce the limit & tell him what he's allowed to spend?

At 11 years old he should know what his limit is and stick with it.

Yeah, you would think, but this kid, I don't know...

Thanks for the feedback!