Summit

hampshire

Norwegian does offer a formal night but it is not mandatory and trust me my cruises on NCL have been pretty darn good! In addition, I find people on NCL to be dressed very nice, casual but nice and clean.. Most people do not wear shorts in the dining rooms but to be honest I have spotted a few…

Dressing formal on formal night is not a rule on Celebrity, it is a request. Perhaps if they made it a rule or a requirement they could enforce it..

I had nice cruises on NCL as well. On The Pride the formal night was vague so it left people sort of confused as to what was expected. It is better for the cruise line to make it clear what you are supposed to wear. IMO Nothing really worse than feeling out of place due to being either underdressed or overdressed. Celebrity ought to decide what it wants people to do.

As a note, NCL was very clear that men were not to wear shorts in the fancier dining room. They were sent off to the "other' dining room if they turned up in shorts.

Totally agree note that the true high end cruise lines have gone country club casual all the time.

In today's society formal is pretty much passé so why keep it alive on a cruise ship. To me it is just a waste of luggage space.

Thankyou everyone for all your input. After reading all the messages it does sound like the majority of passengers sailing to Bermuda do NOT wear jackets on formal nights.

And what do people do when they are invited to a black tie event and don't have he appropriate garments to wear?

1) Go get the garments necessary

2) Rent the garments necessary

3) Don't attend the event and go someplace else that evening

These 3 options work as well for cruising, however cruisers just seem to make a new option:

4) Go wearing whatever the heck I want to wear, wishes of my host and policies in place be damned. I'll never have to see those people again anyway.

There lies the problem - your number 3 comment… Celebrity does not want them to go someplace else which is why they are not forcing people to dress in formal attire. Its their decision… If they turned people away at the door they might not return to Celebrity Cruise Line especially when there are so many other choices and good lines out there…

Renting or buying these garments necessary, as you say they should is also very expensive and might effect other things people could do on their vacation…

I'm one who doesn't follow the rules about dress code and my main and only reason is I feel very unconfortable with a jacket and ties.... I don't wear jeans and t-shirt...

If the maitre D tell me I can't enter, I had 2 choices either go get my jacket and enter then take it out and put it on my chair or go eat other places....

But on all my cruises on Celebrity, they never stop me....

But you said that you went to the club elite event in short, what would you do if the person didn't stop you ????

Cassanova, that was a brilliant question you asked Curt…. My guess if he walked into the Captains Club event in shorts and no one stopped him at the door, nothing would have happened BECAUSE THE REST OF ARE TOLERANT OF EACH OTHER. Why would he even think of doing such a thing in the first place if he finds it so offensive?

Whatever he dressed in would not have effected me at all and I think I share the opinion of many on these boards. How the heck could my clotting effect his overall cruise experience..

Cassanova, that was a brilliant question you asked Curt…. My guess if he walked into the Captains Club event in shorts and no one stopped him at the door, nothing would have happened BECAUSE THE REST OF ARE TOLERANT OF EACH OTHER. Why would he even think of doing such a thing in the first place if he finds it so offensive?

Whatever he dressed in would not have effected me at all and I think I share the opinion of many on these boards. How the heck could my clotting effect his overall cruise experience..

Its the first time I ever went to an elite event in the middle of the day - I always thought they were at 5pm daily, but this one was early. I never went to any actually until my TA this spring, so it's new to me. I was completely unaware of the policy requiring a dress code in the middle of the day in the sky lounge. I just stumbled across the event when I was planning on just going to the lounge to look out the windows.

I walked in, shook hands with Captain said hello to a couple others (CD and GRM), talked to the F&B Director about the buffet changes and then went to the bar to get a drink (I had no drink package on this cruise as it was a last minute booking so I was looking for the free drinks at the event for a change...).

Anyway, the CC hostess came by 15 minutes after I was at the bar drinking and let me know of the policy saying others in the room had asked her to say something, I could tell by looking it past her it was a table of 4 in the corner the way the were all staring, and motioning this way as the hostess spoke to me. I finished my drink and left for another bar out of respect to the passengers at the event.

The rest of the week I came in proper attire, having not known there was one in advance, out of respect to the others in the event.

I do feel there is a grey area on many things. A "sliding scale" of appropriateness I guess one could say.

Extensions cords and power strips don't seem to encroach upon the experiences of other cruisers - I keep them out of sight and well hidden and don't go flaunting it about the ship. I've have had my bags searched on embarkation, and had security folks allow them to pass anyway. I do take care to ensure they are in good repair, and proper gauge wiring to ensure safety.

Dining attire does encroach on other cruisers evenings, as some here in this thread have noted.

And I have also brought 4 bottles of champagne aboard one one cruise too, 2 in carryon 2 in packed luggage. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience. In fact the person who enjoyed them with me found their experience enhanced.

And I have used elite coupons on a sailing after the one I was on that they were issued on. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience.

And I have shared my Captain's Club elite drink vouchers when I had the premium drink package already. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience, in fact it enhanced that person's experience.

And I went to a captain's club elite event in shorts, but when reminded of the policy prohibiting them, I left and came back the rest of the week, following the dress code so as not to encroach on the desire for the others to have an enjoyable experience.

But if you like, ok "I'm a bad and terrible person. Bad Curt, bad, bad Curt."

So you choose to follow some rules and not others? But you choose what you want others to follow? Really? Power strips can cause a fire which intern can ruin other guests trip or possibly more. Not wearing a jacket on formal night will cause no bodily injury to anyone.Keep your mouth and eyes closed

Thankyou everyone for all your input. After reading all the messages it does sound like the majority of passengers sailing to Bermuda do NOT wear jackets on formal nights.

While the subject has been beaten to death, your conclusion isn't accurate. Having sailed three times on Celebrity to bermuda, most men do wear jackets, dinner jackets and or a tux on formal night.

Many change after the show, but for dinner do dress.

Enjoy your cruise.

So you choose to follow some rules and not others? But you choose what you want others to follow? Really? Power strips can cause a fire which intern can ruin other guests trip or possibly more. Not wearing a jacket on formal night will cause no bodily injury to anyone.Keep your mouth and eyes closed

I beg you to provide a link to a single cruise ship fire caused by a powers trip or extension cord. I researched for another thread and found none, much to my surprise actually.

So enough with the rhetoric.

I can provide several by cigarette smoking yet it's still allowed. I can provide several from engine issues, yet we still allow engines.

I beg you to provide a link to a single cruise ship fire caused by a powers trip or extension cord. I researched for another thread and found none, much to my surprise actually.

I can provide several by cigarette smoking yet it's still allowed. I can provide several from engine issues, yet we still allow engines.

So you feel that it's ok, you can justify breaking the cruise rules by bringing power strips on because of the research you have done. Were you able to find out if any small fires were started and quickly put out, anything that could have possibly led to a catastrophe? I bet you have no information on that because things like that are not always reported… It is silly to think you have all the answers in regard to that!

Bottom line, the guy who doesn't wear a jacket on formal night in the MDR is offensive to you but that same person should not find you offensive if you do something to risk a fire onboard…. Is that what your saying?

Edited by antsnanny

So you feel that it's ok, you can justify breaking the cruise rules by bringing power strips on because of the research you have done. Were you able to find out if any small fires were started and quickly put out, anything that could have possibly led to a catastrophe? I bet you have no information on that because things like that are not always reported… It is silly to think you have all the answers in regard to that!

Bottom line, the guy who doesn't wear a jacket on formal night in the MDR is offensive to you but that same person should not find you offensive if you do something to risk a fire onboard…. Is that what your saying?

Yes.

I have said similar things in past and just can't help myself from time to time.

I wonder if other cruise line threads have similar threads that are repeated. (Dress code, can I make early flight, mdr food quality, etc)

Yes, it happens all the time…

so you choose to follow some rules and not others? But you choose what you want others to follow? Really? Power strips can cause a fire which intern can ruin other guests trip or possibly more. Not wearing a jacket on formal night will cause no bodily injury to anyone.keep your mouth and eyes closed

ditto……..

Here you go cle-guy... this is a long read so I will supply the link in case you care to read the whole thing... My source :

The U.S. Coast Guard has issued a Marine Safety Alert regarding the risk of fire from Surge Protective Devices sometimes called power strips. The link is here Surge Protective Devices Aboard Vessels. (pdf file)

Heres the link, it even shows a stateroom fire which, hopefully convinces you that you might be not only risking damage to the ship but loss of human life…

http://www.uscg.mil/TVNCOE/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

In the future I will check your signature line for your future cruises because I do not choose to cruise on the same ship where a person has no regard for the wellbeing of the ship and the safety of others onboard..

So while your risking others lives, these same people should be dressing to please you.. You scare me!!!!

]nspections and Compliance Directorate

April 30, 2013 Washington, DC

03-13b

Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels (correction with additional information)

We’ve all seen them and used them. Surge protective devices (SPDs), more commonly known as surge protectors or power strips help protect our expensive electronic devices from being damaged from excessive currents and allow us to simultaneously deliver power to multiple devices. This safety alert addresses the use of certain electrical protection devices onboard vessels and the inherent risks they may cause. Most commercially available SPDs are designed for use ashore and will interrupt only the hot conductor when a surge occurs. What does that mean for the ship owner/operator? It means that while these devices may provide protection in our homes and offices, these same devices may be a fire risk onboard vessels.

A marine casualty investigation of two separate
stateroom fires onboard a U.S. Flag Container
ship revealed that the sources of the fires were
attributed to the use of SPDs plugged into a
lighting circuit. It was discovered that a ground
had developed on another circuit that was
connected to the same distribution panel
providing power to the staterooms. This ground
created an imbalance of voltage between the
two power conductors supplying the SPDs
which caused excessive currents, overheating,
and subsequently, a fire. In this instance, even
if the SPDs automatically tripped as designed,
only one power conductor would have been
secured while the other would continue to
provide power, possibly shorting to the device’s ground wire and the structure of the vessel.

For shipboard applications, it is critical for a device to interrupt both power conductors. Underwriters Lab Standard - UL Marine 1449 – addresses this issue and applies to the use of SPDs.

The Coast Guard recommends that vessel Owners, Operators, Class Society Surveyors, Insurers, and other inspection personnel examine the risks associated with the use of SPDs aboard their vessels, and if necessary ensure their organizations have policies and procedures relating to their use. Vessels should have defined procedures for checking the condition and grounding capabilities of personal/portable electrical equipment, and trained shipboard personnel should be assigned to check and approve all SPDs in use or brought on board for compatibility with the vessel’s electrical distribution system prior to use. Routine checks of switchboard and distribution system 120 VAC ground detection systems are necessary to detect the presence of grounds that may cause similar circumstances with non-marine type SPDs. These recommendations are not mandated rather just an advisory based on lessons learned from the casualty.

[/size]

Edited by antsnanny

Most commercially available SPDs are designed for use ashore and will interrupt only the hot conductor when a surge occurs. What does that mean for the ship owner/operator? It means that while these devices may provide protection in our homes and offices, these same devices may be a fire risk onboard vessels.

Thanks for researching this. I've been wondering why the various cruse lines have been "cracking down" on these. It's not just Celebrity. I always assumed it was something to do with frayed cables. Who knew that there is actually an incompatibility between surge protectors that are fine on land, but turn out to actually be a danger when plugged into marine power systems.

Thanks for researching this. I've been wondering why the various cruse lines have been "cracking down" on these. It's not just Celebrity. I always assumed it was something to do with frayed cables. Who knew that there is actually an incompatibility between surge protectors that are fine on land, but turn out to actually be a danger when plugged into marine power systems.

Your very welcome… My research started with DH who is an electrician, he said that the cheap dollar store stuff can and does cause fires. I set out on the internet to learn more, it took only a minute or two to come upon what I posted. We all live and learn.

Edited by antsnanny