Ports of call advice

Hi can anyone tell me how to do these excursions yourself, how easy they are, how much they will cost, how far away please etc

Cartegena - La Manga strip (is this a beach area?)

Gibralta - The long tunnels and michaels caves

Ajaccio - Tortoise protection centre

Barcelona - cable car ( and where this goes to)St Raphael - St Tropez - Cannes

Thank you

Gibraltar, there are taxis just outside the terminal for £20 per person he will take you too a viewing point with Hercules column, st michaels cave, the apes and they the tunnels. Very good value. You get about 30 mins in each place :) they will they drop you off in the min street

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi can anyone tell me how to do these excursions yourself, how easy they are, how much they will cost, how far away please etc

Gibralta - The long tunnels and michaels caves

Ajaccio - Tortoise protection centre

Barcelona - cable car ( and where this goes to)St Raphael - St Tropez - Cannes

Thank you

Cartagena is easy to do DIY. La Manga strip is quite away and goes on for miles, I would say there's not a lot to see but there are lots of beaches.

The Barcelona cable car is right on the port area and well worth the trip, beautiful views at the top and easy to do DIY.

I've been to Ajaccio but I don't know about the tortoise centre.

Gibraltar is easy to do anything DIY.

You can get a train from St Raphael to St Tropez and Cannes, but I think I'd do a tour here.

Enjoy!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you

Personally I would stay in Cartagena as it is a lovely town. However, as you want beaches I hope that you find this info of some help.

La Manga is just a purpose built strip of high rise apartment blocks and over priced (IMO) restaurants but also good beaches; you will struggle to find many Spanish here! The marina area (on the Mar Menor side of La Manga) is attractive and, funnily enough, the bars there are generally cheaper than those by the beaches; you can take a very pleasant 40 minutes boat ride (4€ per person each way) from close to the Marina to Santiago de la Ribera which is a lovely little Spanish town with good beaches on the Mar Menor.

Going in the other direction from Cartagena, Puerto de Mazarron has lovely beaches and, being mainly visited by Spanish tourists, excellent value bars/restaurants. According to viamichelin.co.uk the distance from Cartagena to La Manga is 31km and 29km to Puerto de Mazarron. There is a bus service from Cartagena to Puerto de Mazarron but I don't have any details about one to La Manga (not that that means there isn't one); personally I would take a taxi to either place.

Enjoy your time in the Murcia region!

Edited by campolady

really recommend that in addition to the great advice here that you read the port boards, do a search to see who else did those tours and usually there are lots of tips on there re costs, companies to use etc.

I did it recently for Dubrovnik and found lots of great advice

The cable car runs from montjuic hill where the Olympic stadium is to an area beyond the port near the beach. There were long queues waiting to get on at the bottom station, but we have taken it twice from montjuic with hardly a queue. It's a bit of a trek back. Although there is a tower in the port the cable car doesn't stop there.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply with your advice. I will probably give la manga a miss as too far by the looks of it, hoping in Gibralta that we get to go into the caves and tunnels as have done the apes before. Can't wait now :)