QM2 not up to the standards presented

Nclbella

After 14 Princess, 2 HAL and 2 Costa cruises I've been wanting to try Cunard. That is, until I read threads like this one and My First QM2 Experience - More Themed Than Reality

It seems Cunard is all icing and no cake. I think I'll stick with Princess.

After 14 Princess, 2 HAL and 2 Costa cruises I've been wanting to try Cunard. That is, until I read threads like this one and My First QM2 Experience - More Themed Than Reality

It seems Cunard is all icing and no cake. I think I'll stick with Princess.

Very Good! Probably the best for all parties concerned. Happy sailing to you.

@brigittetom: How disgraceful. Do you happen to remember if it was Ambassatours, Grayline, Trius, or another bus company? I would like to report this to the BBB and Tourist Bureau. This needs to be stamped out.

Any details you can provide would be useful, as of course I wasn't there myself. If you have details that you prefer not to post, please e-mail me at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Kings Court has been an issue from day one and l agree with Pepper here that it's going to be a huge task to alter it now because of the structure.

We always referred to it as 'MOTO' which is akin to our motorway service areas here in the UK.

It is just a glorified canteen and not what one would expect to find on a so called luxury liner and imho it's also too near to the Grills which doesn't bode well for those passengers who have forked out mega bucks to be exclusive.

It's all rather sad for those who wish to enjoy the Ocean Liner experience, having said that we must remember that QM2 is no more than a transatlantic ferry.

DH and l enjoyed every moment on her, she is a wonderful ship that has sadly in recent years lost her way.

Judy

I agree with you about the MDR and the QM2.

When we went thru the terminal in Halifax, the tour bus was sitting there waiting for passengers. The driver asked if we were from the ship and told us the cost would be $60. for two. A lady came up to ask the price....he asked her if she was from the ship, she said no. He whispered the price to her. I couldn't resist asking her......she was told the price would be $30. for two. That was totally discouraging and says alot about Cunard tours. My guess was that Cunard had to get their cut so the price doubled. I now wish that I had told the driver what I thought about his practices.....but we had done the tour a few years ago, so didn't really care that much. :rolleyes:

A couple at our table had the same issue in Halifax in 2010 being charged more than passengers on a RCI cruise for a local bus tour bought on the quay side. They complained at the pursers desk when back on board and had the difference refunded by Cunard. This surely suggests that Cunard are receiving a cut on tours they don't even organise, what a con!

Very Good! Probably the best for all parties concerned. Happy sailing to you.

I knew my post would rile some Cunard 'loyalists'. The truth of the matter is -

Princess isn't much different (none of the lines are)... it's all about the bottom dollar.

I knew my post would rile some Cunard 'loyalists'. The truth of the matter is -

Princess isn't much different (none of the lines are)... it's all about the bottom dollar.

Actually, I have yet to sail with Cunard. But I have sailed with pessimistic, critical people before, and I am happy that at least one less will not be on Cunard when I do finally get to sail with them.

These 3 to 5 day mini trips are often disappointing as has been reported on here ad nauseam. Assuming that new passengers have done some research it should be easy for them to find the relevant threads. I must ask how the OP can make the highlighted statement when they didn't personally experience it. Considering that the trip was to celebrate July 4th, is it surprising that the dining venue was an American Bistro? I've never seen it or heard of on any of my QM2 trips so I think that it may have been specially created for the famously eclectic American palates.

The American Bistro is now one of the alternating alternative dining venues in the evening Kings Court (along with Lotus, Coriander and Italian). I have to say the standard of food and service I experienced on my 7 day WBTA in the Britannia the other week was quite poor; I sent back/couldn't eat two main courses, which is unprecedented in my experience. We took to eating in the alternatives in the evenings and the American Bistro was good.

Missfrankiecat--So sorry to hear of your very recent first-hand experience in Britannia. We had generally fine food there in 2012 on our EB transatlantic. We're doing WB in October, and hope things are up to the 2012 standard and not what you encountered recently. Would you mind alerting us as to which meals had to be sent back? There's of course no assumption those very same meals would be bad on our crossing, but it might give others some idea of what they might (potentially) want to avoid. Since we so much prefer the atmosphere in Britannia to that in Kings Court, and prefer not to pay extra for specialty dining, we'd certainly much prefer to stick with Britannia at the risk of an occasional less-than-stellar meal.

I was on the QM2 5th June westbound and 13th June eastbound and the food and service in Britannia was excellent. Our waiters were very friendly and helpful. I didn't like the gumbo soup and just one meat dish was a bit tough which I think was the duck. The Maitre d' muttered some excuse.

Linda, maybe your expectations weren't too high...sounds to me like this cruise it was just not all it could have been. Sorry about that. Do you think you will give Cunard another try - or are you completely turned off? -S

We probably won't. We have reached a point in our lives where we like to cruise 2-3 times a year. We also like to take our kids and grandkids sometimes. We really didn't feel like this line would be a good value for us. Not just this short cruise but we compared prices on other cruises.

We had been to Halifax and Boston a few times so we weren't upset about the weather and of course want to be safe. We came because we had some other family members who wanted to do this cruise. We rarely take such short cruises. But we didn't feel the negative issues had anything to do with the length of the cruise.

Thank you for asking.

Linda

Well, QM2 is an international ship pretending to be rather English. For those who understand a steak beeing the nicest food to be served the MDR and the Grill could be dissapointing. From a rather European view a steak is the worst way of preparing decent meals, followed by burgers. Todd English is also more US orientated and frankly dissapointing because the menue doesn't change for centuries.

I am quiet happy with the Grills. If guest treat the staff as high professionals and not as if they were student waiters at the crab shag or illegal immigrants I promise that all meals there will be a nice experience.

But those NYC ladies who try to teach the waiters on how to cook will certainly have a mixed response.

I'd be interested to know who you mean by the phrase "those NYC ladies".

@brigittetom: How disgraceful. Do you happen to remember if it was Ambassatours, Grayline, Trius, or another bus company? I would like to report this to the BBB and Tourist Bureau. This needs to be stamped out.

Any details you can provide would be useful, as of course I wasn't there myself. If you have details that you prefer not to post, please e-mail me at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Yes, it actually made me feel bad.....I took it personally and no one likes to be discriminated against. A few dollars wouldn't have bothered me...but double?

I can picture the bus and driver but I don't remember the name or even if the bus was red or blue. It was sitting right outside the terminal. With any luck, we'll be there again in Sept. and I absolutely will test it again. I guess the way to fix it is to say that we aren't from the ship....then tell all the other passengers on the bus that we only paid half price. Sounds like a fun afternoon to me. :D

A couple at our table had the same issue in Halifax in 2010 being charged more than passengers on a RCI cruise for a local bus tour bought on the quay side. They complained at the pursers desk when back on board and had the difference refunded by Cunard. This surely suggests that Cunard are receiving a cut on tours they don't even organise, what a con!

I went to the tour office on board and told them what we had expierienced. She looked a little flustered then said that the bus was only supposed to take Cunard passengers. I don't know how that was supposed to make me feel better but since we hadn't lost anything, I moved on to cocktails. :)

We probably won't. We have reached a point in our lives where we like to cruise 2-3 times a year. We also like to take our kids and grandkids sometimes. We really didn't feel like this line would be a good value for us. Not just this short cruise but we compared prices on other cruises.

We had been to Halifax and Boston a few times so we weren't upset about the weather and of course want to be safe. We came because we had some other family members who wanted to do this cruise. We rarely take such short cruises. But we didn't feel the negative issues had anything to do with the length of the cruise.

Thank you for asking.

Linda

Hi Linda. Thanks for your response. I agree with you about the negative issues having nothing to do with the length of the July 4th cruise. My husband and I have taken that cruise several times in the past, most recently in 2013.

Frankly, that five night cruise compared more favourably to a 22 day back to back QM2 Caribbean cruise we did one year. My experience is that every voyage is different - and from my limited experience, that is true of several cruise lines.

But my feeling is that QM2 is built better than any other ship when it comes to dealing with an angry ocean. Of course, any ship is only as good as its' Master and crew. My guess is that Cunard isn't going to place authority on those who haven't proved their abilities. And for those reasons, I prefer to sail on QM2 rather than any other ship when it comes to sailing on the high seas.

Good food, I can get on land. For entertainment, I go to Broadway (or hang around with some really entertaining friends when they'll let me :)). But when it comes to being on the open seas, I'll take an ocean liner.

And while I realize I might be excoriated for this, but I have recommenced that family members and friends (young and old) give primary consideration to the safety of the vessel itself rather than amenities.

Linda, I wish you and your family all the best on your next cruise. Maybe someday, you'll give QM2 another chance - it not, I understand.

Regards,

Salacia

I'd be interested to know who you mean by the phrase "those NYC ladies".

Oy, Sweetpea, don't ask. It seems that any nationality other than his own is to blame for the faults of the world, and any dig he can post makes him feel better. I say, let him have at it -if that improves his day.

But I wonder if secretly he isn't working on a new script for Monty Python and the Flying Circus, searching for new material. :D Cheers from a NY woman. -S.

Missfrankiecat--So sorry to hear of your very recent first-hand experience in Britannia. We had generally fine food there in 2012 on our EB transatlantic. Would you mind alerting us as to which meals had to be sent back? There's of course no assumption those very same meals would be bad on our crossing, but it might give others some idea of what they might (potentially) want to avoid.

How is this not heresay? So "asking" an opinion on the internet and possibly avoiding menu options is ok, but if you are trying to avoid a bad experience, and do not go because of other bad experiences, here we go around in circles AROUND, AROUND!

Although there were a lot of wait staff in Todd English, the food was slow coming from the galley. Even though the room was only 20% occupied at the time we arrived, the wait staff were telling people their food was not arriving quickly because "it is full tonight.":confused: By the time we were having pudding the room was indeed full. There was only one sommelier for the entire room. She did a superb job and remained efficient and friendly even when the room did fill up.

One strange thing about the location of the room is the access it provides to and from the outdoor area of Deck 8. Notwithstanding the notices (on a pedestal at the interior entrance to the room and the sign on the outside door) asking people to show respect for those dining and use alternate entrances/exits, there was a steady stream of casually dressed people coming and going to the smoking area.

The best thing about Todd English was being able to chose a time for dinner. When travelling Britannia we find the first sitting too early and the second one too late. So Todd English makes sense. But when we are in the Grills I won't bother.

I agree. I also thought that it was tacky to have the restaurant in this location. This is also the only place handicapped people can access the deck. There is no other way to an elevator...... I feel badly for them.

Isn't that how most foods get from the kitchen to your table ? Mine certainly is.

I've never had it delivered by say a knight in shining armour on a white stead or a had it flown in by a flock of doves or even something a bit boring like being it resting on a jet pack three inches above my table.

No, someone always carries it and then puts it on the table.

Seriously, can I ask you a question?

Why do you seem so cranky? Please by all means, defend your ocean liner, but do not put people down and make fun of them in the meantime. You are actually coming across, to me, as an unhappy person. Maybe you have not had a vacation in a while? I am sorry for that, but please note that everyone does jot feel,the way you do about this ship.

Happy sailing!

I was on the QM2 5th June westbound and 13th June eastbound and the food and service in Britannia was excellent. Our waiters were very friendly and helpful. I didn't like the gumbo soup and just one meat dish was a bit tough which I think was the duck. The Maitre d' muttered some excuse.

That is great that you had good food and service in the Britannia!

I find the service there to be overbearing and obsequious. At one point I said to one steward "if one of you comes to the table once more to ask if "everything is alright" I shall walk out and won't expect to be charged". This was after being asked this question at least three times with each course. They try too hard.

We sailed on the TA of 5 June this year. As first time passengers on this or any other ship we cannot make comparisions with previous voyages but feel compelled to agree a little with Pepperrn's comment above. During our two meals taken at Todd English, we were asked more often than usual whether we were happy with the meal. Having seen the discussions here about falling standards and the rumoured plans to replace TE with another operator perhaps they feel a little insecure .. it certainly came off that way.

It is unfortunate as we enjoyed our meals there enormously, the food and service were very good and we were disappointed to not be able to do the wine tasting run in the TE as we had a conflicting event.

Most of our meals were taken in the Britannia Club restaurant and were also very good with mostly good selections available and excellent service by staff juggling tables of people at different stages of their meal (not fixed time seating).

Although there were a lot of wait staff in Todd English, the food was slow coming from the galley. Even though the room was only 20% occupied at the time we arrived, the wait staff were telling people their food was not arriving quickly because "it is full tonight.":confused: By the time we were having pudding the room was indeed full. There was only one sommelier for the entire room. She did a superb job and remained efficient and friendly even when the room did fill up.

One strange thing about the location of the room is the access it provides to and from the outdoor area of Deck 8. Notwithstanding the notices (on a pedestal at the interior entrance to the room and the sign on the outside door) asking people to show respect for those dining and use alternate entrances/exits, there was a steady stream of casually dressed people coming and going to the smoking area.

I believe we were on the same crossing. Perhaps that sommelier was Irina? We thought she was the standout staff member in Todd English - very pleasant and enthusiastic about the wines. We had a lunch there and a dinner and enjoyed both very much. We had no issues with service times or quality aside from the slightly overanxious enquiries as to our state of happiness I mentioned in my previous post.

During lunch the proximity of smokers directly through the window was not the best complement to the meal but sadly due to the position of the restaurant there are only three, maybe four tables with nice ocean views rather than views of the pool and smoking area. Luckily at night it seemed too cold and wet for the smokers.

Hi Pepper,

How nice to hear from you! I always enjoy reading your comments, which are well observed and analyzed :cool:, thank you!

It goes without saying that I prefer the Britannia Restaurant to the Kings Court. I love the elegance, the music, the table neighbours (most of the time :D), the waiters who even remember me :), the well-dressed, happy passengers, just simply the ambiance as a whole.

What makes me use the Kings Court for breakfast and early lunches is to be on time for the excursions. I can help myself easily without having to wait to be served, that's all!

Anyway, as I am always happy to be on my unique ship, I have no problem with dishes that are not what they could be. In the end, what is food compared to this ship!?

Happy sailings to you

and greetings,

Cats2010:)

Hi Pepper, How nice to hear from you! I always enjoy reading your comments, which are well observed and analyzed :cool:, thank you!
No, thank you Cats2010
What makes me use the Kings Court for breakfast and early lunches is to be on time for the excursions. I can help myself easily without having to wait to be served, that's all!
:o And there you have caught me not thinking things through :o . I've also used the Kings Court this way, but it has been a while (many years) since I was on an excursion off of QM2. Of course, to save time the Kings Court is sometimes the only answer, if you're going to make that coach! Thank you :) .
Anyway, as I am always happy to be on my unique ship, I have no problem with dishes that are not what they could be. In the end, what is food compared to this ship!?
What indeed, well said.
Happy sailings to you and greetings, Cats2010:)
And to you, always a pleasure, sincere best wishes :) Edited by pepperrn

I went to the tour office on board and told them what we had expierienced. She looked a little flustered then said that the bus was only supposed to take Cunard passengers. I don't know how that was supposed to make me feel better but since we hadn't lost anything, I moved on to cocktails. :)

Brigitte, I may be missing something here; you paid the bus driver rather than being given a ticket and being charged by Cunard to your account? I wonder how Cunard could account for how many people took the trip.