Price Drop --Increase taxes?

lorim103

Interestingly, our base fare has not changed. But the taxes have gone up twice.

We booked early saver about 10 months in advance for a cruise in 2015. When we booked, the base fare was $1588 (total for 2 of us) and with taxes it was $1827. Very soon after we booked it went to $1847 with taxes, and in the last couple days it went to $1854 with taxes. Base fare is still unchanged at $1588.

We are hoping for price drops once the early saver booking period is over and after final payment period is over.

So I noticed a small price drop today for my December cruise. I called and was told yes there is a price drop but the taxes increased so the price drop was only $20 in total. I'll take it but I'm wondering how often this happens. On my last cruise I did get a nice price drop but don't think the taxes increased.

Anyone else experience this?

I've experienced both, a tax increase and a tax decrease when getting a price drop.

Thank you.

If it happens prior to the cruise, do we also get a fee drop? The cruise isn't until next year.

No. Price drops under ES are based on the base cruise fare alone. If the cruise fare does not change then you will not get a price drop. If the port charges/taxes drop at the time of the cruise, they will automatically adjust those at the beginning or during the cruise.

Hate to disagree with you, "out to sea", but I did get a price adjustment when the taxes/fees did drop. I do have ES and it was MANY months before final payment. And for any price drop with ES, you MUST include the taxes/fees. So, even if the rate drops, you need to factor in any deck upgrade costs and taxes/fees. They base the price drop on the "total cost", not the cabin category rate.

Thank you.

If it happens prior to the cruise, do we also get a fee drop? The cruise isn't until next year.

SoCal, as long as the "total price" is lower than what you are booked at, you can get a price adjustment. What I do is a mock booking to where I can select a similar cabin on the same deck. I then take the displayed cost and compare it with my current cost. If lower, I call Carnival and get the price drop.

Steve

Hate to disagree with you, "out to sea", but I did get a price adjustment when the taxes/fees did drop. I do have ES and it was MANY months before final payment. And for any price drop with ES, you MUST include the taxes/fees. So, even if the rate drops, you need to factor in any deck upgrade costs and taxes/fees. They base the price drop on the "total cost", not the cabin category rate.

And I have to disagree with you based on personal experience, information from my PVP and information provided through this site over time. I tried once to get an ES price drop when only the taxes had dropped one time. Filled out the form, it was denied. Called my PVP and she explained that the base rate had to change, not just the taxes, to make an ES claim. Same story has been told here on CC many times as well. You may have received an ES price reduction based on just the taxes being lowered but if you did, it was done by someone who doesn't understand their rules (granted, that is probably a good chunk of their staff) so sorry, no senior moment this time.