Odor on QM2

DarCrav

We just finished a cruise on the QM2 - our second trip on the ship. While we had a wonderful time, we did notice a strong odor when we took our walks on the Promenade Deck 7. It was quite noticeable as we began the walk aft to starboard. It started out almost like a type of gas smell and then became quite noticeable like a port-o-potty. By midship the smell was gone. But it did get stronger every day and by the last day we noticed it inside the ship outside the Britannia and at the entrance of the Queen's Room. Not the most appetizing for the afternoon tea. Just curious if anyone has noticed this before. We were not aware of this on a June 2010 crossing.

We just finished a cruise on the QM2 - our second trip on the ship. While we had a wonderful time, we did notice a strong odor when we took our walks on the Promenade Deck 7. It was quite noticeable as we began the walk aft to starboard. It started out almost like a type of gas smell and then became quite noticeable like a port-o-potty. By midship the smell was gone. But it did get stronger every day and by the last day we noticed it inside the ship outside the Britannia and at the entrance of the Queen's Room. Not the most appetizing for the afternoon tea. Just curious if anyone has noticed this before. We were not aware of this on a June 2010 crossing.

This has been discussed here before and if I remember correctly there is a vent on deck 7 from the area where the ship's waste is sorted. If it isn't that, it is something similar.

Yes - this happens very often at the starboard aft end, especially under the enclosed area. It's from the galley vents located there. You're smelling everything on that night's menu. I don't know why it would get stronger each day since they are cooking for just as many passengers. That part may have been anticipation on your part. (Oh no... we're getting close to the odor again.)

Yes - this happens very often at the starboard aft end, especially under the enclosed area. It's from the galley vents located there. You're smelling everything on that night's menu. I don't know why it would get stronger each day since they are cooking for just as many passengers. That part may have been anticipation on your part. (Oh no... we're getting close to the odor again.)

I don't know why they have not handled that problem. I have actually felt coated with cooking grease after passing under the vent.:eek:

I don't know why they have not handled that problem. I have actually felt coated with cooking grease after passing under the vent.:eek:

Sorry to disagree, but nothing we ate on board the ship tasted like this smell. This was definitely NOT a cooking smell. Frankly, it smelled like a porta potty that needed to be emptied or a baby's dirty diapers. Kitchen waste it was not - sewer waste, yes. By our last day at sea it was even noticeable at the entrance into the afternoon tea. If the ship is going in for retrofitting in 2015 I certainly hope they can do something about this.

Sorry to disagree, but nothing we ate on board the ship tasted like this smell. This was definitely NOT a cooking smell. Frankly, it smelled like a porta potty that needed to be emptied or a baby's dirty diapers. Kitchen waste it was not - sewer waste, yes. By our last day at sea it was even noticeable at the entrance into the afternoon tea. If the ship is going in for retrofitting in 2015 I certainly hope they can do something about this.

I didn't say it smelled like what was cooking, just that I felt covered with cooking grease. The smell was, as you say, unpleasant. I assume they dispose of cooking grease in the same place they dispose of other waste products. The black water (sewage) is supposed to be totally separate from all other waste and in a sealed system. All systems need some type of vent though. I also hope something is done about this. We avoided walking in that area after a few days. Too bad as that is where you can put your nose up against the glass and see what the Grills passengers are doing.:eek::D:D

Here is a quote from Roland's thread about the ship's tour:

"....We got to tour the ships “trash room,” which has a powerful extractor fan, which blows exhaust out a vent up on the promenade on deck 7. This explains some of the weird smells, on the starboard aft exterior part of deck 7 near the inflatable raft storage..." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058095"

I don't think that explains (nor was intended to explain) the odors that sometimes are detected in other interior areas of the ship, as the OP indicated.

Edited by Salacia

Back in the day maybe, but now a photo is just a very high quality inkjet print. No smells from that...

Ah but I do remember the smell wafting out of the dark room...

You are dating yourself lol

The aft end smell on deck 7 has been present for years but is quite different to the aroma in the photo and art galleries, which on the 24.6 crossing was more akin to very bad drainage problems, or to be quite frank, rotting flesh. I wondered how the people working in those areas could stand it as it appeared persistent throughout the voyage.

I couldn't agree more as the smell of sewage in the photo gallery was pretty disgusting when we were last on QM2 in April/May this year. I am sure that this must affect photo sales as you don't really want to search for your photos with that smell around!

We also noticed this same smell in some other parts of this ship on occasions such as the main corridor outside the MDR on deck 2.

Interestingly, the exact same smell was noticeable on QE a couple of years ago outside the Queens Room and this was explained as being due to a leak in the plumbing.

We just completed our 3rd TA on the QM2.

Yes, there was a terrible smell in some of the hallways!.

We also had MAJOR problems with our (same) room on our returning TA trip.

The room had an unbearable smell that kept my wife up all night!

We soon found out that the carpets were soaked due to a previous flood.

They did NOT bother drying them and just gave us the room! My socks

were always soaked walking in the room!

Their solution was to put towels on the floor! These also soon got soaked!

We had to complain 3 times over 6 hours before they would believe us. We wanted our room changed which shouldn't have been an issue since they had plenty of empty rooms.

we finally got a new room.

Our major complaint: HOW CAN THEY GIVE A FLOODED CABIN TO GUESTS WITHOUT ANY PRIOR CLEAN-UP!!!

Yes, unfortunately I know that porta potty smell. It seems to happen as these ships age. QE2 had a distinct odor sometimes during her last years. I suppose it's the plumbing that is wearing out. With thousands of passengers and continuous crossings/cruises, I guess it's difficult to keep on top of it. Although, really, on a supposedly high end line this should never be an issue.

I have also noticed mildew smell occasionally in the bathrooms, for which I have sometimes brought my own little can of Lysol spray (needs chlorine bleach really).

... We also had MAJOR problems with our (same) room on our returning TA trip. The room had an unbearable smell that kept my wife up all night! We soon found out that the carpets were soaked due to a previous flood. They did NOT bother drying them and just gave us the room! My socks

were always soaked walking in the room! Their solution was to put towels on the floor! These also soon got soaked! We had to complain 3 times over 6 hours before they would believe us. We wanted our room changed which shouldn't have been an issue since they had plenty of empty rooms. we finally got a new room. Our major complaint: HOW CAN THEY GIVE A FLOODED CABIN TO GUESTS WITHOUT ANY PRIOR CLEAN-UP!!!

Hi BP99,

Was this cabin 10011 ?

I ask because that was going to be my cabin on June 22nd (Hamburg-Southampton).

But, when I went to the Purser's Desk (around 8.15 in the morning) to get my new "key/charge card" (I was already on board but changing cabins in Hamburg), I was approached by one of the senior pursers and told about a "flooding problem" in my new cabin (10011).

I didn't even see the "flooded" cabin was was automatically given an alternative cabin without me requesting it, it had been all set up for me in advance of my visit to collect my card.

I left the Purser's Desk armed with my new card and went to see my new home. The new cabin was larger and on a better (as far as I was concerned) deck. And they had already begun transferring my hanging clothes and suitcases from my old cabin whilst I was chatting to the purser.

Now that's what I call service :) .

All best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi BP99,

Was this cabin 10011 ?

I ask because that was going to be my cabin on June 22nd (Hamburg-Southampton).

But, when I went to the Purser's Desk (around 8.15 in the morning) to get my new "key/charge card" (I was already on board but changing cabins in Hamburg), I was approached by one of the senior pursers and told about a "flooding problem" in my new cabin (10011).

I didn't even see the "flooded" cabin was was automatically given an alternative cabin without me requesting it, it had been all set up for me in advance of my visit to collect my card.

I left the Purser's Desk armed with my new card and went to see my new home. The new cabin was larger and on a better (as far as I was concerned) deck. And they had already begun transferring my hanging clothes and suitcases from my old cabin whilst I was chatting to the purser.

Now that's what I call service :) .

All best wishes.

Hi Pepperrn,

WOW!!!!

My room was 10013. Next door to your room!!

Why did you get a new room (without asking) and I got a flooded room??

They MUST like you!

I also heard a rumour (from other passengers) that they had 100 empty

rooms. When I checked online the ship only had 1600 passengers.

Why give me a flooded room that had a horrific smell when they could

have easily moved me?? Why did I have to complain 3 times!!

NOW THAT's NOT WHAT I CALL SERVICE!!

Best regards.

..I also heard a rumour (from other passengers) that they had 100 empty rooms. When I checked online the ship only had 1600 passengers. Why give me a flooded room that had a horrific smell when they could have easily moved me??..

How does one check the ship capacity? This would be very useful information should a serious problem like the one you encountered arise.

How does one check the ship capacity? This would be very useful information should a serious problem like the one you encountered arise.

I start an innocent conversation with the concierge:rolleyes:

Hi Pepperrn, WOW!!!! My room was 10013. Next door to your room!! Why did you get a new room (without asking) and I got a flooded room?? They MUST like you!
Thank you, but I've no idea about that, sorry. I wish I could answer that one :o .
I also heard a rumour (from other passengers) that they had 100 empty rooms. When I checked online the ship only had 1600 passengers.
Never believe shipboard rumour or gossip. If there were 1600 passengers, that would mean something like 500 empty "rooms".

Please, please, please :) post the website address here on CC where one can check the past passenger count of cruise-ship (and QM2 ;) ) voyages, that would be VERY useful information (esp to other cruise lines, and I'd love to see it as well) thank you. What a useful site you've discovered :) . Please post the address (do I sound keen?).

Which sailing were you on when you had the flooding issue, may I ask?

Thanks in advance for all your help, sorry you were unlucky compared to the service I received.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Go to the Muster drill and count quickly :) .

On the 10th Ann crossing to NYC they actually had a sign on the Pursers Desk stating that all staterooms where booked, so maybe if that's the norm, as long as there are no notes assume they have spares.

On the 10th Ann crossing to NYC they actually had a sign on the Pursers Desk stating that all staterooms where booked, so maybe if that's the norm, as long as there are no notes assume they have spares.
Hi scifisteve,

Yes, I believe that sailing really was "sold out".

But the signs that say the same ("the ship is full, don't ask for a change of cabin") at the check-in desks in the terminal are always there.

I presume this is to speed the check-in process along (otherwise the Mrs. Buckets of this world would spend an hour each at check-in selecting "The right replacement cabin, near the captain" and then arguing about the price of the up-grade "It should be free, don't you know who I am dear?").

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn