Conflict between Shore Excursion and 6 pm Dinner Seating

AnnArborGirl

Two of us will be on and Alaskan cruise on the Century in August. One of our shore excursions ends at 6 pm, which is the time of our dinner seating for this cruise. Are we still able to eat in the main dining room (later in the evening) if we can’t make our reserved time? Thank you for sharing any similar dining/excursion time conflicts and how this is handled.

When that happens with us we notify our waiters that we will not be at dinner the next night. Then when we get back from the tour we don't bother changing for the MDR but make it a Buffet night. If you do want to eat in the MDR I would check on the possibility of Select Dining.

On a couple of our cruises where a port day was long and excursions were arriving back to the ship into the dinner time the dining was made open seating for all on those nights, so this may happen. If it does not, as other posters have said you need to be in the MDR for traditional dining within a reasonable amount of time from when your seating begins. If you're worried choose the buffet that night or treat yourself to a later reservation in a specialty restaurant.

Since you already know the exact date of this excursion, talk to the Maitre d the night before and tell him the situation. He may be able to find you a few seats in the late seating. Similar thing happened to me before, while I was not the one late, we did dine with a woman and her elderly mother. They were supposed to be at early seating but missed it for whatever reason. They were able to still eat at the late seating. We only had 5 people seated at an 8 top so there was room.

Also tell your waiter the night before you won't be there.

DW and I were on the same ship on the same cruise with the same request. The host at the Select dining area directed us to the host at the main dining room who accommodated us at the 2nd seating. He did first look to see if there were openings at a table serviced by our usual waiters, but there was none. So we were given a two top in the back of the dining room (was ok with us) and provided with the usual impeccable Celebrity service.

And yes, we did tell our Tablemates and regular waiter that we would not be there at the regular time.

We had this issue once so in the morning, we told our room steward we needed the MDR menu, then we our room steward delivered the food all at one time. We had the drinks package so on the way back to the cabin we stopped and picked up glasses of white wine (for our first course) and stuck them in the cooler-fridge. Then after placing the order, my husband went to Cellar Masters and got two glasses of red wine (with both cards) while I waited in the cabin. We had our first course on the balcony, then the main course inside since it was getting dark. It was a good solution, particularly since we were tired out from running around all day. No dressing, in fact, I think we ate in our robes.

The Room Service menu doesn't mention that you can get the MDR food as long as the MDR is still serving.

Other times we have booked the Specialty restaurant on days like this, but the time mentioned above, we would have been too tired to enjoy the Specialty restaurant.

Beth

On a couple of our cruises where a port day was long and excursions were arriving back to the ship into the dinner time the dining was made open seating for all on those nights' date=' so this may happen. If it does not, as other posters have said you need to be in the MDR for traditional dining within a reasonable amount of time from when your seating begins. If you're worried choose the buffet that night or treat yourself to a later reservation in a specialty restaurant.[/quote']

We hoped they would have open seating our last two cruises when there were several long days in port. Didn't happen and were told select wasn't an option. Fine with us as the buffet was decent.

As noted, you do have other options.

Very often the shore excursions arrive back to the ship earlier than posted. You may want to contact the operator, if other than Celebrity, to inquire.

The MDR door generally shuts 15-20 minutes after most have been seated.

Please inform your waiter and tablemates that you may either be late or be dining elsewhere so that their service is not interrupted.