Best Ship To Try

My wife and I have been on several cruises in the past with Royal Caribbean and have always had a blast but we are wanting to try Carnival and I was wondering:

1) In your opinion, what is the best ship for someone new to the line to start with?

2) For those of you who have sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, what are some of the major differences between the 2 (if any) that could catch someone that is used to Royal of guard?

I can't address your first question very well, but as for #2...

Not much. People like to get caught up in Royal Caribbean vs Carnival debates all the time, but at the end of the day the lines are pretty similar. After you sail with Carnival you'll probably notice some things here and there that Carnival did better, and other things that Royal did better. And then you'll read a thread on these forums where somebody had the exact opposite experience as yourself and swears to never cruise with a particular line ever again. But you're getting roughly the same service, nothing major that is any different.

Your question is difficult to answer, without knowing you, and what's important to you while on a cruise. Without that input, I'd have to recommend sailing on "Breeze", out of Miami, or if it's more convenient, "Dream" out of New Orleans, or perhaps Liberty out of Port Canaveral. All are excellent ships, with outstanding crews.

Give us a bit more information, and I'm sure the good folks here will come up with some suggestions.

Welcome to Carnival!

"SKY"

1. I'd recommend trying a similar size ship class that you like in Royal.

2. Carnival doesn't have a flow rider, ice rink or climbing wall and the decor is brighter themed in the public areas.

Carnival bathrooms have shower curtains instead of glass and the late night parties are out on the lido deck.

Have only done one Royal cruise, but for us the two lines are very similar in everything else.

We usually like to have some pool time and wet love to take in shows. Wet prefer bigger ships that have a lot of options for restaurants (both paid and complimentary) and we like variety when it comes to activities. We don't usually spend a lot of time at clubs or bars (minus sports bars, comedy clubs and piano bars).

If you're looking for similar amenities, then you'll be disappointed. Royal Caribbean wins out of the amenities.

But that being said, both cruise lines excel at providing a great vacation. I've been on both.

I loved the Carnival Pride (Spirit Class) and the Carnival Liberty (Conquest class). I have not had the fortune to sail on a Dream class yet. The Fantasy Class was okay. The Holiday class was fun, but they no longer exist.

On Royal Caribbean, i've been on the Jewel of the Seas (Radiance Class) and the Independence of the Seas (Freedom Class).

For me, I felt i had more "fun" on Carnival, but I think Royal Caribbean was of higher quality. I felt service was consistently better on Carnival, but Royal Caribbean seems be able to hit higher standards, but the trade-off is that they slip and fall on that same service as well.

As someone else said, they are a very similar product with different priorities. Royal Caribbean seeks to dazzle you with their technology and novelty. Carnival dazzles you with more energy in their service. I feel they are more people oriented than Royal Caribbean.

That being said, what ship do you want to try? Well, I loved the conquest class. Its the Carnival Liberty that rated "my best cruise" in my opinion, though many others came close. If you want more comparable amenities, go with Breeze as that's their latest ship, but sizewise, it barely measures against the old Voyager class of Royal Caribbean. But as we all have heard, size does not matter. In this case, I believe that to be true. When i was on the Independence, I actually felt like it was too big. One day, I will try the Oasis Class.

Edited by Rogueperson
grammar

I'd strongly recommend the Breeze based on my experience sailing her last week. May not be all the bells and whistles of RCCL but you will be paying 50% less. The value you get for the $$$ is fantastic and the service is awesome. The Breeze knocked the wind out of me and I can't wait to go back on her. Tons of dining options on a sparkling and immaculate ship. The Lido buffet has a cool layout with more than enough seating spread throughout, along with a fun Caribbean theme. No gaudy decor at all. The Dream is also very nice but didn't have sushi, Guy's burgers or Blue Iguana Cantina. The adults-only Serenity was also a bit bigger on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

Our best Carnival cruise was on the Liberty and we're going on her again in Sept. :D We also really enjoyed the Breeze and it's newer, so that's a plus.

I would stay away from Pride, Miracle, etc...those ships feel much more closed in and dark to me.

That being said, Royal is our cruiseline of choice...mainly because we love their ships with the royal promenade and their entertainment is far better than Carnival's. Nightly shows were a disappointment for us on Carnival, but if shows aren't important to you, then that won't matter.

We also like Carnival's food better ;)

Seems to me you're right on the money with "Breeze" or "Dream". I think you made a comment about enjoying the SHOWS, so I'd recommend "Dream". That ship still has what Carnival calls 1.0 shows, and they are much LARGER shows, with 8 female dancers, 4 to 6 male dancers, 2 production singers, and a live band. Much better shows, IMO, than the 2.0 shows offered on most of the Carnival ships. I have no doubt that you'd enjoy either ship, but if you like big shows, go "DREAM".

"SKY"

My wife and I have been on several cruises in the past with Royal Caribbean and have always had a blast but we are wanting to try Carnival and I was wondering:

1) In your opinion, what is the best ship for someone new to the line to start with?

2) For those of you who have sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, what are some of the major differences between the 2 (if any) that could catch someone that is used to Royal of guard?

I've done the Liberty and Explorer with Royal, and will do the Allure, Oasis or Quantum next year sometime. I love both cruise lines equally, but like the entertainment, especially the ice show, and the Royal Promenades for snacks, drinks or socializing. I think you'll like the Breeze. I haven't done the flow rider, or water courses on either, but have watched from on deck, and both look like fun. I loved Chops on Royal, but haven't been to the steakhouse on Carnival yet. Reading reviews, pictures and YouTube videos, I don't think Carnival has a ship that compares to the newest ones of Royal, but I think you'll have a good time, and enjoy yourself on the Breeze. I'll follow up with my thought on the Sunshine next month.