what to do by myself in Cozumel

ep1080

HI, I will be coming to Cozumel. The rest of my family is going on ATV.

Because I have neck and back problem, I am hesitant to go on ATV as

I expect it to be bumpy. Is that correct?

What can you expect for me to do instead. I am not into water sports

( like swimming, beach, snorkel etc) . We will be going to Mayan ruin in

Costa Maya, so I do not plan to go on another maya ruin in Cozumel.

Since I will be by myself, security is also a concern, Is there anything

around the cruise terminal that I can do , or can you suggest a tour that

I can go on ?

thanks so much

HI, I will be coming to Cozumel. The rest of my family is going on ATV.

Because I have neck and back problem, I am hesitant to go on ATV as

I expect it to be bumpy. Is that correct?

What can you expect for me to do instead. I am not into water sports

( like swimming, beach, snorkel etc) . We will be going to Mayan ruin in

Costa Maya, so I do not plan to go on another maya ruin in Cozumel.

Since I will be by myself, security is also a concern, Is there anything

around the cruise terminal that I can do , or can you suggest a tour that

I can go on ?

thanks so much

It is difficult to make suggestions without knowing a little more about you and what you like to do. Obviously you could take a ship sponsored tour but taxis are plentiful and regulated on Cozumel (check price before getting in) or team up with fellow cruisers at taxi dispatch for savings and safety. General suggestions, you could take a taxi to do - cozumel photo tour (Google), cooking with Josefina, food tour, Cozumel bar hop, or numerous beach clubs if you just want to relax.

Which ship you are on will determine which pier you stop at and what there is to do within walking distance. Also depending on whether your family are on a ship sponsored tour, or independent, may offer other alternatives for you to hang out at depending on their meeting place.

Hi we are coming by Carnival Glory, my family is not joining a cruise's tour,

they are joining a local ATV tour. As I mentioned, I do not want to do ATV

I am also not particularly fond of water activities ( so do not prefer going to beach and stretch out there, or snorkel. swimming, parasailing etc) , if there are places around the cruise terminal to shop, or a garden or museum

not too far from the cruise terminal, I would be interested. Also, as I said,

we are doing mayan ruins in Costa Maya and tubing in Belize, so want to

find something different in Cozumel. If you can recommend a place or tour

name, I would greatly appreciate it.

Since you are arriving on carnival you will almost certainly arrive at Puerta Maya, the southernmost pier of Cozumel's three piers. There is a shopping area right at the port with restaurants, bars and a small beach area I believe - others will be able to provide more details since I haven't been to that pier.

If you want somewhere to look around Discover Mexico is quite close to this pier, exhibition ground with optional tequila tasting http://www.discovermexico.org/eng./services.cfm.

You can do this independently, or through the ship and sometimes with a combined ticket including transfers to Chankanaab National Park http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm. I haven't personally visited these sites yet but you can google, or search on this forum for further reviews.

Short taxi ride to old town area will bring you to shops, old church and small museum.

Short taxi ride to town would also bring you to the meeting place for:

Cozumel photo tour http://cozumelphototour.blogspot.com;

Cozumel Bar Hop http://www.cozumelbarhop.com;

Cooking with Josefina or food tour with Cozumel chef

http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/authentic-mexican-cooking-classes/

I and husband spent 5 days in Cozumel and we got a private tour of the southern end of the island via a taxi driver recommended on trip advisor.

His usual tour included downtown and the east side of the island but we had already done that in previous visits.

We had a nice clean van and he made stops along the way to visit el Cedral the first established town, some beaches, punta sur eco beach park with the Celarain lighthouse museum too. Then headed to El Mirador lookout with the most amazing rock formations.

Closer to your pier is Chankanaab Park and it has botanical gardens.

Edited by ISLABONITA

Hi Islabonta, if you do not mind, can I have the name of the taxi driver that

you mentioned or the internet site. I also like to see if you mind my asking 'how much is the cost . I do not know if cruise critic allows name to be

mentioned in the forum, if not , can you e mail me at id43862003@yahoo.com

thanks

Linda

Hi Islabonta, if you do not mind, can I have the name of the taxi driver that

you mentioned or the internet site. I also like to see if you mind my asking 'how much is the cost . I do not know if cruise critic allows name to be

mentioned in the forum, if not , can you e mail me at id43862003@yahoo.com

thanks

Linda

Taxi tours from the pier should run around $70 for 3 hour tour for up to 4 people. You may be able to negotiate slightly if you walk outside pier and stop a taxi. Bear in mind you may or may not get a good experience, driver may, or may not speak English, (if that is important)and unless you know where you want to go in advance you will be taken on a standard route. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/TAXIPUERTAMAYA

Private drivers can be arranged in advance. Read the thread on this forum "hiring a driver for the day" for recommendations of where to visit and drivers. The rates are usually about $100, for minimum 3 hours for up to 4 people. These drivers will also act as private tour guides. We have enjoyed numerous tours with Tours Plaza as have many others on the aforementioned thread. You will also find a list of suggestions of places to visit on their website. We have also enjoyed trips to Punta Sur and the east side, (more remote area away from the crowds good for photo ops, some natural coastal formations and rustic beach bars). More on Punta Sur in above "parks" link for Chankanaab that I suggested The good thing about a private driver is that you can completely customize the day to your needs. There is also a tequila factory or chocolate factory to visit, if interested, although you are obviously limited in what you can see and do in only 3 hours.

Many people would consider it an expensive day for one person, the cost becomes more reasonable for multiple passengers, perhaps you can team up with others from your roll call.

Edited by c-leg5
Added info