More cruises to Bermuda in 2017?

islegroove

The Tourism Authority is going to try to recruit the cruise lines to reposition some ships IF Bermuda hosts the America's Cup as a way to get more visitors here for the event.

They are going to five lines but the article only mentions four: Aida, Silversea, Oceania and Viking.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Pitch-to-cruise-lines-for-America-s-Cup/24/270/79083

Edited by islegroove

Since they are now 1 of the 2 last cities in line to host the event, I bet they are planning ahead :)

I am sure those re-positioned cruise would be "theme" cruise. Since lodging could be limited on the Island, having the ship serves as floating hotel is a great idea...but a complete mess for ferries, buses, taxis, etc....

Remind me to NOT book this cruise ;) I like my Bermuda a little calmer...

One of the things I found interesting was the talk of anchoring a ship in the Great Sound. I imagine that would be spectacular if you wanted to watch the race, being in the middle of the course. Not so great if you wanted to leave the ship, although I guess they could manage that when the AC boats were on the far ends of the course.

I imagine you would anchor the ships over on the dockyard "side" of the course, so you could see all the action, but still be able to take a tender into port. This seems to be about the location that ships anchor, when they are the 3rd one in port at Dockyard.