Finga100: Gothenberg

Hello,

I see you are from that area and I have a question. I would like to take a transatlantic cruise that is really just transportation to get to Sweden and also Poland. I would likely take TA and go to Krakow or Warsaw first and then take a short flight to Gothenberg where I would either rent a car or take a train to Fjaras/ Kungsbacka to visit a cousin.

How easy is it to drive in your area? I doubt we would see Gothenberg and perhaps we would be connecting through Copenhagen. Our intention is to see my great grandparents' farm and village in Sweden.

I was in Helsingborg this spring so have just a bit of familiarity but it was only for one day in port.

Thanks so much!

Advice from anyone who has ventured around this region is appreciated!

[quote name='ConnieG']Hello,

I see you are from that area and I have a question. I would like to take a transatlantic cruise that is really just transportation to get to Sweden and also Poland. I would likely take TA and go to Krakow or Warsaw first and then take a short flight to Gothenberg where I would either rent a car or take a train to Fjaras/ Kungsbacka to visit a cousin.

How easy is it to drive in your area? I doubt we would see Gothenberg and perhaps we would be connecting through Copenhagen. Our intention is to see my great grandparents' farm and village in Sweden.

I was in Helsingborg this spring so have just a bit of familiarity but it was only for one day in port.

Thanks so much!

Advice from anyone who has ventured around this region is appreciated![/quote]

Driving is quite easy. Obviously central Gothenburg during rush hour might be a bit slow but other then that it shouldn't be a problem.
From what I can see, [URL="http://wizzair.com"]Wizzair[/URL] (low cost airline) flies to [URL="http://www.goteborgcityairport.se/index.php?lang=en&Itemid=195"]Göteborg City (Säve) airport (GSE)[/URL] so you don't have to connect in Copenhagen.

Rent a car at Göteborg city airport and drive south to Kungsbacka and Fjärås.[URL]https://www.google.se/maps/dir/G%C3%B6teborg+City+Airport,+S%C3%A4ve+Flygplatsv%C3%A4g,+423+73+S%C3%A4ve/Kungsbacka/Fj%C3%A4r%C3%A5s/@57.5807742,11.9710365,10z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x464f8a4e1a2e0dbd:0x105ebbcdfbb1199b!2m2!1d11.864629!2d57.777954!1m5!1m1!1s0x464fe78d5a2e4443:0x4187504495979894!2m2!1d12.076234!2d57.4874497!1m5!1m1!1s0x464fdd12dedb8ab1:0x7af7ae16a5a333db!2m2!1d12.1602232!2d57.4330005!3e0[/URL]

That looks totally doable. Have you ever had any experience visiting village areas with just the name from the old government/church records? We have Torklestrop and Estatorp and the numbers or are those archaic names?

[quote name='ConnieG']That looks totally doable. Have you ever had any experience visiting village areas with just the name from the old government/church records? [B]We have Torklestrop and Estatorp and the numbers or are those archaic names?[/B][/quote]

I have not and I'm not sure what what you mean with bolded part. However I assume that you wonder if the names are still in use or not?
If the villages or houses still exists I would guess that they still use those names.

I am no expert but the names could also be the names of individual farms or other individual cottages and not necessarily an entire village.
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torp"]Torp [/URL]is a Swedish name for an older small cottage or dwelling.

Torklestorp: [URL]http://kartor.eniro.se/m/c9W9e[/URL]
Estatorp does not give any hits.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='ConnieG']That looks totally doable. Have you ever had any experience visiting village areas with just the name from the old government/church records? We have Torklestrop and Estatorp and the numbers or are those archaic names?[/quote]
[B]
bet you are as excited as we are about going to sweden to find your ancestral farm !
[B]
my mother's parents emigrated from gothenborg separately
(married in boston in 1893) in the 1880's
[/B]
we are on regal princess april 15 to may 2, spending 2 nights in copenhagen,
train to gothenborg, stay 2 or 3 nights there-
going to hire someone or rent a car - hoping to find the farm
in fotskal and or surteby - southeast from goth.

then train to stockholm for 5 or 6 nights before flying home on icelandair[/B]
[B]
would like to hear about your plans/your success[/B] [B]in the search[/B];) Edited by loma linda ca a & j

My grandparents married in Sweden (I found their marriage bans and records) and finally immigrated in 1892 but separately. I do genealogy and then write stories after I collect enough info from the records and read and study ethnology of the region. We went to an ethnographic museum in Helsingborg and I highly recommend you find one around your grandparents' region. It will give you a sense of life in Sweden in the 1800's.

Our trips are a bit more complex because we consider our European destinations more important than the TA, but flights within Europe are relatively inexpensive so going from port to a city isn't a problem.

We are still looking at which TA to do and haven't decided between cheap with few interesting ports or a bit more expensive with some ports of interest. Ultimately, we will likely do Poland first and then venture to Sweden only to give the northern area a bit more time to warm up. We were there in mid- May this year and the weather was quite warm and very nice with little rain.

Send me a private message with your email if you want to know anymore about the genealogy aspect. Sweden's records are very accessible and readable even if you don't know Swedish, which I don't. I went back to the early 1700's and will continue to do more work on this but I have other more pressing genealogy and writing pursuits right now.

[quote name='ConnieG']My grandparents married in Sweden (I found their marriage bans and records) and finally immigrated in 1892 but separately. I do genealogy and then write stories after I collect enough info from the records and read and study ethnology of the region. We went to an ethnographic museum in Helsingborg and I highly recommend you find one around your grandparents' region. It will give you a sense of life in Sweden in the 1800's.
[COLOR=Red][B]
fortunately, my mother had a lot of info written in my baby book re her parents, grandparents, w/ the parishes & dates so when i went
to salt lake city in 1988 i was able to find a lot of records going back to early 1700s[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]
we plan on spending a whole day in skansen while in stockholm which is supposed to be the oldest open air museum on 75 acres with 150 dwellings brought in from all over sweden from the 18th & 19th centuries so even if i don't find the farm i'll have a real sense of how my ancestors[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red][B]lived[/B][/COLOR]

Our trips are a bit more complex because we consider our European destinations more important than the TA, but flights within Europe are relatively inexpensive so going from port to a city isn't a problem.
[COLOR=Red][B]
notice from your list of cruises you like norwegian - we love princess -
their TA on the new regal is only 1349 each for inside cabin - which is
what we always choose - the total for 2 including 270 port fees and
215.84 insurance is #3,183.64[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red][B]- a few others are also interested in genealogy so we shall have lots of fun chatting on the 11 sea days
[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=Red]there are 5 ports - halifax (where we are taking excursion to the wolfville & grand pre area where my acadian ancestors lived before the 1755 removal), cork, le havre, rotterdam (excursion to keukenhof to see the tulips), hamburg[/COLOR][/B]

We are still looking at which TA to do and haven't decided between cheap with few interesting ports or a bit more expensive with some ports of interest. Ultimately, we will likely do Poland first and then venture to Sweden only to give the northern area a bit more time to warm up. We were there in mid- May this year and the weather was quite warm and very nice with little rain.
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B] hoping that we do not have much rain - we do not mind if it is cool[/B][/COLOR]

Send me a private message with your email if you want to know anymore about the genealogy aspect. Sweden's records are very accessible and readable even if you don't know Swedish, which I don't. I went back to the early 1700's and will continue to do more work on this but I have other more pressing genealogy and writing pursuits right now.[/quote]
[COLOR=Red][B]
hope to hear more from you - perhaps you will join us on the TA next april !!! ann & jim jimesther @aol.com[/B][/COLOR]