Passport Card

KingBDS

I have a passport, a passport card, and a driver's license.

I always put my passport in the room safe so it can be found by RCL personnel, if necessary. I also put my driver's license in the safe.

I take the passport card ashore. If I'm going to lose something ashore, I'd rather lose the passport card than my driver's license. If I miss the ship, I'm relying on RCL to empty my safe and leave my stuff with the port agent.

For two Transatlantics stopping in Ireland, our passports were taken on embarkatation and not returned until the last days of the cruise. This meant doing a number of ports with no passport at all. I felt a lot more comfortable ashore knowing I had a passport card.

It's not perfect, but it works for me. I also buy private trip insurance.

Ok. I do understand that is what it says. Are you saying that if someone had a passport card, driver license, maybe even a copy of there birth cert and they were sick on a island somewhere, there is absolutely no way for them to get back into the us unless they rent a boat and float back in. I don't believe it.

Then here is my question. You're in Jamaica and the ship is gone. What do you do now?

They would need the assistance of the Consulate and what form that assistance would take depends in large part in what happened. The Consulate will do what they can to repatriate them as quickly as possible and again, how quickly depends on what has happened. A medical emergency will be handled differently than overstaying at Senor Frogs and missing the ship. The reason that no one can recount an experience in this regard is because people missing the ship for whatever reason does not happen very often. Bottom line is whether one has a passport or not added expenses will be incurred so having good travel insurance is a good thing to have.

I have a passport, a passport card, and a driver's license.

I always put my passport in the room safe so it can be found by RCL personnel, if necessary. I also put my driver's license in the safe.

I take the passport card ashore. If I'm going to lose something ashore, I'd rather lose the passport card than my driver's license. If I miss the ship, I'm relying on RCL to empty my safe and leave my stuff with the port agent.

For two Transatlantics stopping in Ireland, our passports were taken on embarkatation and not returned until the last days of the cruise. This meant doing a number of ports with no passport at all. I felt a lot more comfortable ashore knowing I had a passport card.

I also have a passport, passport card, and DL and I do the same thing as you.

I'd rather have a passport card when ashore in Europe than a driver's license (assuming I'm not renting a car, of course). The passport card is a US federal ID that has "United States of America" and "Department of State" emblazoned on it. It conceptually resembles national identity cards issued by certain European countries (e.g. France). I think it is more likely to be accepted than a driver's license.

Edited by dwjoe

Also, the passport card doesn't list your address, so I prefer it for privacy purposes vs a DL. You also don't need to update your address when you move.

True, and I do like that non-feature.. Shortly after getting my Card I used it as an ID when buying something. The sales person tried to not accept that and wanted another piece of ID, my driver's license. I glared at him and told him that this is a Federal ID, and that it trumps anything he could ask for. The manager took care of things. What I do get is people look it over and say they'd never seen this. I'm sure they are becoming more common.

Edited by Treven

True, and I do like that non-feature.. Shortly after getting my Card I used it as an ID when buying something. The sales person tried to not accept that and wanted another piece of ID, my driver's license. I glared at him and told him that this is a Federal ID, and that it trumps anything he could ask for. The manager took care of things. What I do get is people look it over and say they'd never seen this. I'm sure they are becoming more common.

About 7 million passport cards have been issued to date, 1M+ every year, so they are becoming more common. I used my PP card when renewing my DL. It got a few strange looks, but they accepted it.

Edited by dwjoe