Weird EarlySaver Question

The cruise we have our eyes on has finally dropped to a price we're somewhat comfortable with so we plan on booking.

I'm going to book the Early Saver, but they have 2 rates going on now. The resident rate is a little cheaper but not much so I'll book the Early Saver for the price protection. I think the cruise will drop more.

My question is after I book the Early Saver can I submit the price protection form for the resident rate. You can still choose your own cabin for that rate too.

Usually I've had to wait and see for a price reduction, but they are offering a lower rate with the early saver now :confused:

I guess if they deny it, they do. The difference in price is only like $50 more or so total for all of us so why wouldn't I book the early saver. Cruise is 4 months out. Have a feeling they'll drop it more after final payment too. None of the cabins have sold even with this price drop. Been watching this cruise everyday since January.

Once you book ES, you can match any price you are eligible for.

I knew that but I've never seen (at least I haven't) a lower rate at the same exact time of booking that I could turn around and price protect against. Usually I wait for the early saver rate I booked to drop or when that disappears there's sometimes another lower rate being offered.

Unless carnival thinks that people will automatically book the lower rate unaware for just a few dollars more they can price protect. If people aren't aware, this saves carnival money.

I knew that but I've never seen (at least I haven't) a lower rate at the same exact time of booking that I could turn around and price protect against. Usually I wait for the early saver rate I booked to drop or when that disappears there's sometimes another lower rate being offered.

Unless carnival thinks that people will automatically book the lower rate unaware for just a few dollars more they can price protect. If people aren't aware, this saves carnival money.

It happens often with resident and military rates. Many people are unwilling to book ES because of the restrictions

I have learned to check the prices every single night after I booked my current cruise. You must be sure that the lower price is on a same category cabin or higher.

I booked about 4 months ago and I went up 3 decks and managed to accumulate $610 in on board credits due to price drops and one glitch I fell into which I was hoping to get $50 for a drop in price. I said ok let's do it and she had changed my room which I did not want because of the proximity to the lido and noise.Then was told I had to go up 2 more decks to get the $50. I told her never mind and to put me back into my original room and when she did that the price had fallen the night before and I received $150 in OB credit.

So make sure you do your homework. It pays off. It did for me!:p

Last year I changed my rate to Early Saver (which had been unavailable when I originally booked the cruise). I actually paid in additional money, because Early Saver was more expensive than the rate I had first booked, plus I needed to increase my deposit. Then I immediately applied for a Senior Rate, which was better than the Early Saver rate or my original rate.

It took a couple of extra minutes to get the Early Saver rate set up, as the customer service rep had a hard time understanding my logic and wanted to be sure she wasn't putting me in a bad position. As soon as I got off the phone with her, I filled out the online form for the Senior rate and got it.

Weird but useful stuff you learn on Cruise Critic....

Have a great cruise!

I believe if you do this you will change your booking to resident rate and be removed from Early Saver thus not being eligible for further price matches. If that is true you may as well start out booking the resident rate.

I believe if you do this you will change your booking to resident rate and be removed from Early Saver thus not being eligible for further price matches. If that is true you may as well start out booking the resident rate.

No. Once you are ES, you are always ES. You can price match to any rate you are eligible for including resident rates. Only exceptions are where Carnival selects your room such as Super Saver, Pack and Go, etc.

.....and this, folks, is why I am still so confused about ES and price drops myself :(

It's really not confusing. Book ES and if you see a lower rate that you qualify for where you (not Carnival) get to pick your room, call and get the lower price. Just be sure that you are getting a better deal by checking to see if the taxes amount went up. All this can be done by doing a mock booking. You will need to know what category your room is as you can only price match to the same kind - ie 6B to 6B. If there is a better category for the same price or less, you may be able to upgrade for free.

Also if you are currently booked with a reduced deposit offer and the new sale price you are switching to doesn't offer that, you MUST pay the additional deposit due no matter what the rep tells you or your room WILL be canceled, oftentimes without any notice.

I love ES. If it overwhelms you then I would either not book it or get a good PVP to help you. I check my rates for my upcoming October cruise at least 20 times a day. No, I'm not kidding. So far it has rewarded me with $70 in price drops so currently I'm at $389 for 7 days on the Glory in a 1A.

One your ES, your always ES.

Another thing we did last year was book under a rate that was refundable when we were on board to get the OBC for our next cruise. We got to pick the cabin we wanted. Then we had to wait until my kid's school calendar came out in January to verify we were booking the right week and we changed to the ES rate to get all future price drops.

Just to make it a bit clearer about price drops:

You can still get price drops if you book a resident rate or a senior rate or ANY rate! You just cannot get them after final payment! The only thing that Early Saver allows that is different than the other rates is that you CAN get price drops after final payment. We stopped using Early Saver when we realized that and just take the price drops we can get up to final payment and are satisfied with those and not having the restrictions that early saver offers.