Port or Starboard for viewing Statue of Liberty

Jemnibabe

When doing a westbound TA on QM2 from Southampton, is port or starboard the best side for viewing the Statue of Liberty? Thanks for your help. Also, which side is better for sunsets when going west?

Judy from SW Florida

When doing a westbound TA on QM2 from Southampton, is port or starboard the best side for viewing the Statue of Liberty? Thanks for your help. Also, which side is better for sunsets when going west?

Judy from SW Florida

When heading westbound across the pond the port side is the sunny side

Somewhat the reverse of POSH

; -)

Sara

When doing a westbound TA on QM2 from Southampton, is port or starboard the best side for viewing the Statue of Liberty? Thanks for your help. Also, which side is better for sunsets when going west? Judy from SW Florida
Hi Jemnibabe,

Make sure you're up on Deck 13 for the arrival into New York Harbor and sailing under the Verrazano Narrow Bridge, an experience not to be missed. Seen at the end of this set:

You can then stay up there to see the Statue of Liberty (great views to port at first and latterly to starboard), or make your way down to Deck 7 and the Port Promenade rail at first, but the QM2 will rotate through almost 180 degrees and the statue will then be off the Starboard Promenade. Seen toward the end of this set;

Whatever you do, be prepared to get up VERY early, I mean VERY early.

Or, if you miss it on the way in, Lady Liberty can be seen after you've had your breakfast from the Starboard side of the ship.

There are photos of arrivals into New York Harbor, sailing under the bridge, and the statue via the link below.

As for sunsets, best place in my opinion, is the Commodore Club.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

Pepper, Would your advice be the same for departing from Redhook? Well, except for the hour ; -)
Hi sarafinadh,

More difficult as I enjoy the sailaway parties at the stern (Deck 8 Terrace Bar and Pool).

So I'd take any photos of Lady Liberty from the starboard rail of the Promenade Deck early on during the afternoon, then later go aft to soak up a bit of party atmosphere (and a glass or three of something refreshing ;) ) and, when the ship begins to move, make my way up to Deck 13 for the sailing under the bridge. If you don't mind missing the party then the views of Manhattan, Lady Liberty, and the Verrazano Bridge from Deck 13 are amazing!

I hope this (and the photos) help a little :)

Best wishes to you!

Edited by pepperrn

Pepper,

Would your advice be the same for departing from Redhook? Well, except for the hour ; -)

If I may butt in, after docking the Statue of Liberty is on QM2's starboard side (as a result of the 180 degree turn described in pepperrn's post) and remains to starboard as she leaves the harbor.

Statute of Liberty is on the port side while the ship is coming up the river into Brooklyn, but then (I believe) the ship turns around before docking--so then the Statute of Liberty is on the starboard side.

I agree with Pepper. Get up early (not a chore with the time zone changes) and go up on top deck to see everything from there as you approach New York.

Great views as the daylight breaks and lights go off. Easy to see Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge, etc.

Have a great crossing!

Great views as the daylight breaks and lights go off. Easy to see Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge, etc.

Have a great crossing!

Here is a 90-second silent video I took at 5:17AM July 27, 2013, as QM2 was backing into Buttermilk Channel by Red Hook.

I agree with Pepper. Get up early (not a chore with the time zone changes) and go up on top deck to see everything from there as you approach New York.

Even in pea soup fog it is pretty amazing and well worth the early start. On our WB TA in June we arrived in thick fog - we were just about under the bridge before we saw it and it whooshed overhead and disappeared into the fog immediately .. awesome.

And it was days later that we found that the Statue of Liberty had a head ...

Even in pea soup fog it is pretty amazing and well worth the early start. On our WB TA in June we arrived in thick fog - we were just about under the bridge before we saw it and it whooshed overhead and disappeared into the fog immediately .. awesome.

I was on that crossing also :)

xgaa92.jpg

My memory is that the Captain will announce the docking time during the noon report the day-before, but actually it was earlier than the time announced….

Unfortunately, going west your body will think it is later than it is, so getting up at 4:30 isn't an arduous as it sounds.

We too were on that June crossing. Unfortunately, thick fog has been present on 2 out of our 3 crossings coming into New York.

In the fog, we noticed that we could hear the traffic on the bridge before we could see the lights on the bridge. That was a little spooky the first time.

Bob