Golden Alaska - Questions for those that have done it this year

jsiegel

I have questions about on board programming during the seven night Alaska cruise round-trip from Seattle this season.

How often was Zumba offered on your sailing?

Which days was the MDR open for lunch? Any day besides the one full sea day?

Were there daily naturalist lectures? Worth attending?

Thanks,

Jackie

I just returned yesterday from an Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess! Inside passage with Glacier Bay. It was fabulous. I don't remember seeing Zumba on the daily events in the Patter but that's not to say it wasn't happening. I didn't check out the fitness schedule at the gym (maybe I should have!)

I think at least one of the main dining rooms as open every day for lunch. My in laws used to go there for lunch, we usually had pizza or buffet. The pub lunch was offered in the Crown Grill at least two days. We went on the first sea day and the day we docked in Ketchikan (set sail around noon)

They had a naturalist speaker (first name mike). He was fabulous. His presentation on Alaskan wildlife encounters was very informative and entertaining. I would recommend it. He also did commentary pointing out whales that was heard throughout the ship as we were leaving Glacier Bay. I also saw another presentation scheduled about Alaska but I didn't attend it. I did see the presentation given by the lady who won the Iditarod dog sled race. It was very good as well. I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise, you will love if!

New were on the week before last.

No Zumba but they did have a "Zumba Like" session the first sea day - can't remember if it was done again. I'm guessing they don't have a certified Zumba instructor onboard the Golden. Do other ships still do it?

The Naturalist was excellent.

Not this year, but I've done that itinerary a few times. You won't find lunch in the MDR on the day you are in Skagway, but I think every other day. You get in late to Juneau, and leave early from Ketchikan, so I'm pretty sure the MDR has been open those days. Also the day you get into Victoria. I mostly consider that to be a "sea day" anyway.

I've seen Zumba in the past, but as someone else said, they may not have an official "Zumba" instructor so may not be able to officially offer it.

The naturalist is good but has a "unique" manner of speaking. We've had him 4 times. The first year we enjoyed him. After that we were a bit annoyed by him, and by last year, we'd gotten used to him again. He does 4 different lectures throughout the week. IIRC, they are about 1) glaciers, 2) wildlife, 3) native people, and 4) ummm... Alaska in general? I'd have to look back at my patters. Be sure to go to one of his shows and pick up the flyer about when to look for whales.

Thank you all. Guess I'll have to take extra stairs because of no Zumba. Glad to hear that the MDR is open most days for lunch. I had expected it to be closed for Juneau and Ketchikan. That's two more leisurely lunches.

Jackie

New were on the week before last.

No Zumba but they did have a "Zumba Like" session the first sea day - can't remember if it was done again. I'm guessing they don't have a certified Zumba instructor onboard the Golden. Do other ships still do it?

The Naturalist was excellent.

We had Zumba most every day on Star Princess to Alaska from San Francisco a few weeks ago.

We had Zumba most every day on Star Princess to Alaska from San Francisco a few weeks ago.

I was on that sailing with you. It's true about the Zumba on the Star, at least until the instructor hurt her leg. I was there every day it was held. Then when they cancelled it, boy was the gym room crowded as we all tried to get some sort of substitute workout.

On my Hawaiian cruise they had three certified instructors on the CD staff. Two were great, one was awful, he had no rhythm, yet they also had him teaching the dance classes.

Vexorg: I'll check out the posted patters, great to see they are PDFs so I can download them and send them on to my friends who will be cruising with me.

Recently back from the Golden and I had lunch in the main dining room nearly every day..except Skagway where we had an excellent lunch ashore at a Thai restaurant frequented by the crews of all the ships in port.

As far as Zumba..They offered a "Zumba Like" exercise class every day except port days in Skagway and Ketchikan and Glacier Bay. My daughter teaches Zumba and I can tell you the exercise classes offered were extremely close to what she does.. probably, as someone mentioned before, they just didn't have a certified Zumba instructor, so can't call it Zumba.

Recently back from the Golden and I had lunch in the main dining room nearly every day..except Skagway where we had an excellent lunch ashore at a Thai restaurant frequented by the crews of all the ships in port.

As far as Zumba..They offered a "Zumba Like" exercise class every day except port days in Skagway and Ketchikan and Glacier Bay. My daughter teaches Zumba and I can tell you the exercise classes offered were extremely close to what she does.. probably, as someone mentioned before, they just didn't have a certified Zumba instructor, so can't call it Zumba.

Great news on both counts. I'll get a workout and lunch. I've heard about that Thai restaurant. May give it a try.

Thank you,

Jackie