Lufthansa Coach Boarding

purduemom1

LH does First, business, elites, back of plane to front of plane, but most non US carriers are VERY strict on cabin baggage and don't have near the problem as US based carriers so there isn't this huge scramble to store the kitchen sink. In all my years of LH travel I have never had trouble stowing my LH regulation size carry on, which is smaller than US domestic standards. In most LH gateway cities the ticket agent will inspect and weigh your cabin baggage and then tag it as acceptable. If you arrive with un-tagged larger cabin baggage you most likely be directed to check it.

Thank you for this info. Back to front makes so much sense. We flew Jet Blue recently and after reading on their web site that they board from back to front, we chose seats in the back. We had no problem stowing our carryon, we only had one between us. However, those in the front did have problems even though Jet Blue checks one bag free.

We are taking a much smaller carryon when we fly LS due to their restrictions on weight. I would not want to be forced to check it so glad to know that probably won't happen. We will be on their 747-8. Not sure what those overheads are like. I am aware that space under some seats is limited. I am guessing that many if not most on our LS flight will have coats and jackets as it will be Nov. Right now we have seats nearer to the front of coach and I'm trying to figure out if I should move us back. Just not sure how far back we might need to go!

Just FYI, Lufthansa's 2-letter code is "LH", not "LS". The latter is the code for Jet2, a UK discount airline. Not to be picky but the wrong code or terminology at the wrong time can result in very unintended travel consequences!

Thank you for this info. Back to front makes so much sense. We flew Jet Blue recently and after reading on their web site that they board from back to front, we chose seats in the back. We had no problem stowing our carryon, we only had one between us. However, those in the front did have problems even though Jet Blue checks one bag free.

We are taking a much smaller carryon when we fly LS due to their restrictions on weight. I would not want to be forced to check it so glad to know that probably won't happen. We will be on their 747-8. Not sure what those overheads are like. I am aware that space under some seats is limited. I am guessing that many if not most on our LS flight will have coats and jackets as it will be Nov. Right now we have seats nearer to the front of coach and I'm trying to figure out if I should move us back. Just not sure how far back we might need to go!

Most people will tell you absolutely must pick the most forward seats so you can be first off the plane. Which it is true that the nearer you are to the front the quicker you will be off. If you aren't one of those folks who must be the first passenger off then pick something "nearish" the middle. The economy cabin on the 747 has two sections. I would pick something near the front of the second cabin. You don't want to go to the "way" back as you will be last for immigration and too close to the lavatories.

I have never had a problem finding space for cabin baggage on LH, but it is a different mentality on foreign carriers.

Just FYI, Lufthansa's 2-letter code is "LH", not "LS". The latter is the code for Jet2, a UK discount airline. Not to be picky but the wrong code or terminology at the wrong time can result in very unintended travel consequences!
While I agree that using the correct terminology is always a good idea, it should be noted that LS doesn't fly internationally from the US, so unlikely that there would be a mix up.

Thanks for the correction. I meant LH and have no idea where I got LS.

Most people will tell you absolutely must pick the most forward seats so you can be first off the plane. Which it is true that the nearer you are to the front the quicker you will be off. If you aren't one of those folks who must be the first passenger off then pick something "nearish" the middle. The economy cabin on the 747 has two sections. I would pick something near the front of the second cabin. You don't want to go to the "way" back as you will be last for immigration and too close to the lavatories.

I have never had a problem finding space for cabin baggage on LH, but it is a different mentality on foreign carriers.

While I agree that using the correct terminology is always a good idea, it should be noted that LS doesn't fly internationally from the US, so unlikely that there would be a mix up.

Thanks for the advice and your actual experience with LH-I do appreciate it.