Any tips or secrets for the Getaway?

lisamorg

We are traveling with 11 people. (3 generations) Kids are 8 (girl), 8 (boy) and 9 (boy). We are thinking of doing Maagen's Bay (St. Thomas), Orient Beach (St. Maarten) and may stay onboard in Nassau or go to Atlantis. (we have done Atlantis before).

I would greatly appreciate any tips you may have, especially for the kids. We have gone on Disney and there were so many things we wouldn't have known if it wasn't for pros like you.

Thanks!

Lisa

Make sure you sign the kids up for Splash Academy during the afternoon on embarkation day. Then be sure they are in the club when it opens that first evening, which is when all the get-to-know-you activities take place.

My family of four with two kids 13 and 11 were on the Getaway for March break 14, and have rebooked for March break 2015. The Illusionarium is a highlight of the cruise and not to be missed. Book early as it does sell out for the cruise quickly. Premium seats were worth the few extra dollars. Show up early to get as close to center of the stage. During the cruise they have two shows in the Tropicana main dining room that features the dancers from burn the floor. We enjoyed it very much arriving 15 min prior to the dining room opening and got a table next to the dance floor. Excellent if you enjoy that type of entertainment, but perhaps not so much the kids. The slides are excellent entertainment but the lines can be long. There were no lines when everyone got off at Nassau so if you decide not to get off it is an excellent time for the kids to use the slides. The 2014 spring break cruise was only the third from Miami as I remember and activities were still being worked out but the tee shirt colouring prior to the white hot party was an activity the kids really enjoyed. Enjoy your cruise, an excellent choice for entertainment for both the adults, and the kids.

Thanks so much! Signed up for premium seats and will sign up for kids club early. Can't wait! And, we will likely stay onboard in Nassau, so we can use the slides, etc. we did that on disney, but still had wait times of an hour. Craziness;)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

My son did the slides over and over again on embarkation day with no waits at all. He boarded the ship in his swim trunks and t-shirt so he was ready.

Also, the ropes course requires closed-toed/closed-heeled shoes.

My son did the slides over and over again on embarkation day with no waits at all. He boarded the ship in his swim trunks and t-shirt so he was ready.

Also, the ropes course requires closed-toed/closed-heeled shoes.

Barbie-how old is your son?

And di you do the plank thing?

My kids are bugging me to try it...

Nora

If they are going to be at the Glow Party with you, bring some cheap dollar store glow in the dark jewelry for the little girl to wear. It's very light for packing for flying. Or you could hit a dollar store in Fl before the cruise. Get some for the big girls(moms) too.:D Not sure what they have for boys, but you might find something for them too.

Mary Ann

Barbie-how old is your son?

And di you do the plank thing?

My kids are bugging me to try it...

Nora

My son is 11. He was on that darn ropes course sometimes for over an hour at a time. He loved it so much. No, I didn't do the ropes course or the plank. I'm terrified of heights, but I'd gotten up the nerve by later in the week, and then the timing just never worked out. My husband did it a few times and said it's more cool than scary. My son liked fake falling off the plank, and letting the harness catch him *sigh*. I'm glad I never saw that or he might have been grounded to the cabin. LOL!

If they are going to be at the Glow Party with you, bring some cheap dollar store glow in the dark jewelry for the little girl to wear. It's very light for packing for flying. Or you could hit a dollar store in Fl before the cruise. Get some for the big girls(moms) too.:D Not sure what they have for boys, but you might find something for them too.

Mary Ann

I bought this tube of 100 glow bracelets on Amazon for $8.85 (free shipping if you have Prime, or if your total purchase is over $25.) We loaded ourselves up with them, and then handed out the majority to others, which really brightened people's evening (literally and figuratively).

http://www.amazon.com/LumiStick-Brand-Glowsticks-Bracelets-Colors/dp/B000IZ9N78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405513858&sr=8-1&keywords=glow+bracelets

My kids are relatively the same age and we were on the getaway last week. Did coral world last week which was fun. We've done Magen's b4 so we did so,etching different. Kids had fun as did I. We did maho beach in st Martin too. Ok beach but great entertainment factor for the kids. The plane literally land on the beach. My kids loved it. On Nassau day, since it's the last day of the cruise, lines are short on everything.

Splash academy was great. They loved it. The staff is terrific. Don't miss them getting involved in the circus show which they do in the main theatre. They have the kids practice all week and it's super fun.

Do the ice bar. Cocktails are fun and it's great for picture taking.

Have a mojito flight at the sugarcane mojito bar. Two of them will surprise you! I will leave it at that.

Don't order pizza 24/7. Why pay $5 for something that isn't that good.

If you like to run and walk. Use deck 8 the waterfront for working out. You can go down one side go through the forward doors and out the other side of the ship and loop around the back of the ship. 4 laps is a mile according to my wife's fitbit. The regular track is crowded and in the direct sun. Gym is small and overcrowded.

Order a toasted almond frozen drink. Milkshake with booze in it. Fantastic.

I was surprised that I was able to buy a day pass to the Thermal Spa on the final sea day. They actually had a promo that got me a $79 2 day pass for the sea day and Bahamas day at port which I later decided to buy. I spent the entire morning leading up to the Bahamas arrival relaxing in the spa. A great way to wind down the vacation. Originally I had thought I would have to buy a spa service in order to then buy a day pass for the Thermal Spa. Not the case. Maybe the spa passes were slow that week due to great weather but I surely was pleasantly surprised.

I bought this tube of 100 glow bracelets on Amazon for $8.85 (free shipping if you have Prime, or if your total purchase is over $25.) We loaded ourselves up with them, and then handed out the majority to others, which really brightened people's evening (literally and figuratively).

http://www.amazon.com/LumiStick-Brand-Glowsticks-Bracelets-Colors/dp/B000IZ9N78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405513858&sr=8-1&keywords=glow+bracelets

Most Dollar Tree stores have a great selection of glow sticks, glow jewelry, etc. All of our local ones have tubes of 15 glow bracelets for $1, which comes out a bit cheaper than Amazon for the same amount. Also have the long ones that can be necklaces, halos, etc. There are a few locations in the vicinity of the Miami airport.

Most Dollar Tree stores have a great selection of glow sticks, glow jewelry, etc. All of our local ones have tubes of 15 glow bracelets for $1, which comes out a bit cheaper than Amazon for the same amount. Also have the long ones that can be necklaces, halos, etc. There are a few locations in the vicinity of the Miami airport.

That's a great option, as well. I wanted to make sure I put another idea out there for those of us who live an hour or so away from stores like that.

They also hand things out during the party, but not very much and people were diving and grabbing for them like it was some expensive prize. There is also glow paint at the entrance for anyone to use. Lots of options!

I also got my son these glasses for $3 which were a huge hit!

41RIZrShrTL.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

St. Thomas: I did a private day sail with Captain Max last month and it was AMAZING! She limits the sail to 6 passengers, so this would only work if your group wants to split up, but I really cannot recommend her enough. The sailing and the snorkeling were incredible.

I'm not sure what the age requirements are, but the Segway tour in Nassau is SO much fun! The guides were a blast and I felt very safe the whole time.

Looks like amazon prime delivery to our hotel for the glow party stuff!

Thanks, lrgPizza!!

I bought the same ones for a tech conference that I took a group,of teens to . Didn't even think to get an extra bunch for glo partly.

Leaving on Saturday!,,

Betty