Millennium cancellation and Future Cruise Certificate

Wilde_37

Last year Celebrity cancelled a number of cruises on the Millennium because of engine trouble. Those affected were given Future Cruise Certificates.

Has anyone who received a Future Cruise Certificate, because of the Millennium cancellation, been able to apply it to a cruise which is not taking place this year?

On my FCC it states "Cruise must be taken by 11/15/2014"

We had applied both our certificates to a cruise in October but now one of us cannot sail - so Celebrity will not allow us to apply the cert for the person who is not sailing.

I have read some comments saying that people contacted travel agents and were told that they only had to have booked by 11/15/2014 - even though it clearly states that it must be "taken".

So has anyone managed this?

I would call Celebrity, explain the situation and hope! The worst that can happen is that you are told "no".

A few years ago, we were verbally offered a FCC over the telephone in connection with a different issue. I replied that I had not contacted Celebrity because I was looking for compensation and we had already booked all the cruises we could take during the usually validity period for a FCC so it would be a waste to send us one. I was immediately offered a certificate that was valid for three years rather than two.

Hi Gary,

We were on the August 16th sailing of the Millennium to Ketchikan (where the ship broke down for the second time and where we had to stay and be evacuated from) and received four FCCs for our party. After speaking numerous times with various people at Celebrity, I have been assured that, for those affected by the Millennium debacle, the "taken by" date is being understood as "booked by." In other words, you must book and have the credits applied to a cruise by the 2014 date and sail within a year of that (or some magic timeline that's escaping me). The forms that we were given are really just future cruise certificates, rather than future cruise credits, so the wording does not match our situation.

We're using one person's FCC in a few weeks as we attempt Alaska again and then are using the remaining three next summer in the Mediterranean. We have yet to apply to credits to our booking only because we may cancel and re-book onboard while in Alaska. Once we come home, we'll be applying our credits to the Med cruise. It's quite simple to do- just call Celebrity and ask to speak to someone in the FCC department and they'll apply the credit right over the phone. It's very quick and they'll send out an updated reservation showing the discount.

My advice would be to call Celebrity, explain the situation (they know it well, having dealt with many customers trying to do the same thing), and then have whoever you speak to email to you what they've said. That way, if any problems do come up, you have in writing what you were promised. It's just a good way to cover your tracks and protect yourself. We're found the reps to be more than happy to email us a summary of our conversations.

My experience with the FCCs has been a positive one, but not without a few scares along the way...like when I read that "booked by" wording and thought that I wouldn't be able to apply the credits to my Med cruise. I had a meltdown, then we called Celebrity, and they assured us that we would be fine. Ultimately, they are doing what they can to make the customers happy, so hopefully your experience will be similar to mine. Good luck!

Hi Gary,

We were on the August 16th sailing of the Millennium to Ketchikan (where the ship broke down for the second time and where we had to stay and be evacuated from) and received four FCCs for our party. After speaking numerous times with various people at Celebrity, I have been assured that, for those affected by the Millennium debacle, the "taken by" date is being understood as "booked by." In other words, you must book and have the credits applied to a cruise by the 2014 date and sail within a year of that (or some magic timeline that's escaping me). The forms that we were given are really just future cruise certificates, rather than future cruise credits, so the wording does not match our situation.

We're using one person's FCC in a few weeks as we attempt Alaska again and then are using the remaining three next summer in the Mediterranean. We have yet to apply to credits to our booking only because we may cancel and re-book onboard while in Alaska. Once we come home, we'll be applying our credits to the Med cruise. It's quite simple to do- just call Celebrity and ask to speak to someone in the FCC department and they'll apply the credit right over the phone. It's very quick and they'll send out an updated reservation showing the discount.

My advice would be to call Celebrity, explain the situation (they know it well, having dealt with many customers trying to do the same thing), and then have whoever you speak to email to you what they've said. That way, if any problems do come up, you have in writing what you were promised. It's just a good way to cover your tracks and protect yourself. We're found the reps to be more than happy to email us a summary of our conversations.

My experience with the FCCs has been a positive one, but not without a few scares along the way...like when I read that "booked by" wording and thought that I wouldn't be able to apply the credits to my Med cruise. I had a meltdown, then we called Celebrity, and they assured us that we would be fine. Ultimately, they are doing what they can to make the customers happy, so hopefully your experience will be similar to mine. Good luck!

This sounds like excellent advice! I have already used my certificates from our cancelled cruise, but I would think Celebrity would try to work with passengers from the cancelled Millennium sailings, especially since those cancellations were on very short notice and not everyone has the flexibility to cruise within a year given other obligations and plans.

I wouldn't just call reservations and take my chances with an agent...try calling Captain's Club, or e-mail the executive office. I've had very quick responses in the form of a phone call by sending mail to celebrityguestrelations@celebritycruises.com and/or contactmichael@celebrity.com. The people I've spoken to have been very knowledgeable and eager to help.

Edited by Cindy