Working on my Cruise Reading List

biga92

I'll be heading on a 7 day cruise soon (Aug. 26th!!!) and the one thing I have been thinking about the most while getting ready is what book(s) I should take with me.

Last time I went on a cruise, I read Stephen King's Needful Things and it took me the entire 7 days to get through it (731 pages). When I went on my week long beach vacation last year I read J.K. Rowling's detective novel, The Cuckoo's Calling (434 pages) and made it through most of one of Stephen King's short story collections. All this is so you can get an idea of the pace I read in a week of relaxation.

After much deliberation, I have decided to take Stranger in a Strange Land as it has always been on my list of books to read but have been putting it off. I'm thinking I should probably take another book with me to be safe, but I have no idea. Part of me is leaning towards On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers only because of the whole pirate theme of the novel, but there are some bad reviews on Amazon.

So anyways, I guess what I'm saying is, I need help developing my cruise reading list.

Bonus: for those of you using e-readers on your cruises, do you worry about getting it wet?

Edited by biga92

I bring my e-reader for reading on the plane, in the airports, and onboard the ship. I buy paperbacks at yard sales and second-hand shops and save them to bring along for pool days and beach days. When I'm done with those ones, I leave them on the ship for anyone else to enjoy.