The lonely roll call

writer100

Preparing for our 6th SB cruise, this one on Quest, September 11th, Boston to Montreal. What is odd about this cruise is that the Roll Call has five posts--2 of them mine--and two (mistakenly) from posters from the September 21st cruise. That's it. The absence of posts on the roll call is strange, and is very different from our roll call experiences with other SB cruises. Our hoped for plans for independent shared tours appear to be in jeopardy. Any suggestions for stimulating some posts would be gratefully received.

Preparing for our 6th SB cruise, this one on Quest, September 11th, Boston to Montreal. What is odd about this cruise is that the Roll Call has five posts--2 of them mine--and two (mistakenly) from posters from the September 21st cruise. That's it. The absence of posts on the roll call is strange, and is very different from our roll call experiences with other SB cruises. Our hoped for plans for independent shared tours appear to be in jeopardy. Any suggestions for stimulating some posts would be gratefully received.
Hi Writer 100! We almost sailed with you, decided to do long Med cruise instead but will definitely do this itinerary next year...not sure it will be Seabourn tho. Will wait and see. We usually save Seabourn for non/domestic. Let us know how it is, and I do hope you can talk your lovely wife into an international destination one of these days!!

Hi Writer 100! We almost sailed with you, decided to do long Med cruise instead but will definitely do this itinerary next year...not sure it will be Seabourn tho. Will wait and see. We usually save Seabourn for non/domestic. Let us know how it is, and I do hope you can talk your lovely wife into an international destination one of these days!!

Hello RN:

Well, I have had mixed success on the cruise/travel front. We are signed up for the May 2nd Viking Star, Barcelona to Bergen. The lure--other than my scintillating company at sea--was the newness of the ship, or more accurately, a new cruise ship experience. That also explains our presence on a Crystal Caribbean venture this January. Again, though we could lecture about most of these islands, the Crystal Symphony, while far from new, will be new to us. (And we just got back from London-Berlin-London-Cotswolds, though no vessel was used.)

But, I have been unable to persuade She Who Must Be Obeyed of the wisdom of, for example, cruising BA to Valparaiso. I did get a copy of a book on freighters that also carry passengers and dangled it before her. Alas, the proposal was met with derision--despite the promise of dining every night at the Captain's table. (Often, the only table.)

We haven't been on SB for a bit. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, has changed.

I trust you and the family are well, and Vandy's prospects are bright.

I'd be on that if I could. Unfortunately, you'll have to deal with relatives of mine that have BTDT. As a Seabourn cruiser on the smaller ships I'd recommend NOT relying on SB.

Writer 100: You still have had some great trips. We will be in London for four days before we sail on the Legend. Anything you did that you so loved we should do? We have been spending a good bit of the winter in Florida (Naples) hence our cruising in the fall and we always love the Med. Yes we almost went to Omaha for the baseball championship Vandy won....not sure of their football this year...we will be in the Med but they have really improved to the point we actually like to watch them and go to games! Grandchildren are keeping us busy with their events...some of it is fun and some of it is a real duty (like watching a grandson graduate from high school with 750 others in a cramped stadium with bad air conditioning). Hope we get to cruise with you again one day. Next year maybe will be a transatlantic on the big girls. Hi to "she who must be obeyed". I miss MarionH....where did he go?

Edited by redheadednancy

Hello RN--Yes, the "kids" of all ages do keep one busy.Well, assuming you have gotten all the cliched (but often quite worthwhile ) London activities out of the way, I shall venture a couple of suggestions. We took a food tour, err, Food Tour, of the East End and despite my apprehension--what could go wrong; bad weather, a boring guide, irritating other members of our little safari--it was a most satisfying experience. Takes three and one-half hours, and you do trudge a bit. But really fun. The company that runs it also does a parallel thing in Rome, if that helps to identify them. And if you go--and you should register quite a bit in advance as the groups are quite small, no more than 12, I believe--ask for a group led by Hanna. She was intelligent, very knowledgeable and quite amusing. If you planned to buy a bottle or so of wine to bring aboard, you might want to saunter down to Berry Bros. & Rudd, the oldest wine shop in London, at 3 St. James. I can offer two restaurant suggestions. A new Indian restaurant, Gymkhana, that feels very, um. colonial, and the food is very good. (You will inevitably over order, but so what.) Ask for a booth. They are on Albemarle St. in Mayfair. I would also suggest toddling --the verb a friend used--out to Chelsea (really not that far) to Medlar on the Kings Road. No pretension, but the very good food, wine and service earned it a Michelin star. Ah, now, as to Marion H. He might be found outside 221B waiting for other Sherlock worshipers to arrive.Although as it happens we had dinner with Lady M and Himself, and he is just as droll in person as he is in print. I mean to write to him, and shall include your kind reference. And yes, it would be nice to sail with y'all again, though probably not on a freighter.

Hello,

Trying to connect with anyone interested in connections on private tours on Seabourn Sept 11 Boston to Montreal cruise but having no luck. Anyone out there?

please join the roll call- we would love to have more members!