Seward to Anchorage- Which Side of the Bus?

gretnagirl

Quick question for everyone: My family will be taking a bus/van from Seward to Anchorage in a few weeks and we're wondering which side will afford us the best views? I'm not sure how often we'll be stopping so we want to ensure that we'll have the most scenic drive possible.

Thanks so much!

The water is on the left side of the road for the end of the trip and is really pretty, if you google a map of Seward and follow the road you can see Kenai Lake is on the left and then as you get closer to Anchorage the bay/water is on the left

Even though the left side is more scenic, we were on the right side and saw several bear cubs along the road and could still see the water on the left. Those on the left could not see the cubs so scenic is not always better. :D

Mary Lou

Even though the left side is more scenic, we were on the right side and saw several bear cubs along the road and could still see the water on the left. Those on the left could not see the cubs so scenic is not always better. :D

Mary Lou

That's awesome! Did you have the opportunity to take a picture?

the best way is to go up and down twice.....:) :D

Trust me, if that were an option, we'd be all over it! This is actually our second attempt at Alaska as we were on last summer's "Cruise to Ketchikan," or as I saw one person refer to it as, "A Millennium in Ketchikan." We're hoping we make it to at least Icy Strait Point this time around...

To all the posters- thanks for your input! Since we're more water and mountains-type people (don't have too many mountains here in the prairies!) and actually have a good deal of wildlife where we live (it's not uncommon for us to have multiple eagle and bear sightings when we go sailing), it sounds like the left side of the bus is the place for us!

That's awesome! Did you have the opportunity to take a picture?

No, as luck would have it the camera was not ready and the bus could not stop. We did get a good pic of a bear in a parking lot in Talkeetna prior to our nature walk around the lake.

We understand there are beluga whales in Turnagain Arm between Anchorage & Seward so hope to spot one next week.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

We understand there are beluga whales in Turnagain Arm between Anchorage & Seward so hope to spot one next week.

Mary Lou

We looked for Beluga whales on our round trip bus transfer, but didn't spot any. My wife had her camera ready but was very disappointed.

If you get a picture, I hope you will post it. That would be fantastic. I've never seen a picture of a Beluga whale taken by a Cruise Critic member.

Happy cruising!