Shady areas at Cable Beach?

mcarney

Our family of 8 will be in Nassau from 8-5 in August ... We wanted to spend the day at cable beach ... Don't need all of the amenities that comes with a day pass, except my 87 year old father will just need a place to sit in the shade. Are there any shady area with a bench or chair where he can chill out without buying a day pass? He won't be swimming or going in the water ... He doesn't even own shorts much less a bathing suit. The rest of us just plan on swimming in the water and chilling on the beach.

Thank you!

Our family of 8 will be in Nassau from 8-5 in August ... We wanted to spend the day at cable beach ... Don't need all of the amenities that comes with a day pass, except my 87 year old father will just need a place to sit in the shade. Are there any shady area with a bench or chair where he can chill out without buying a day pass? He won't be swimming or going in the water ... He doesn't even own shorts much less a bathing suit. The rest of us just plan on swimming in the water and chilling on the beach.

Thank you!

The Free parts of Cable Beach have NO amenities, not even a chair. There's no concessions, noone selling water or drinks, and the beach is natural.. not raked or cleaned up

As for shade, it depends on the time of day. It's on the north shore, so after noon sun is behind you, and so are the buildings and trees that would shade the beach. Mornings and Mid day, there is no shade.

Thank you scubagirl ... That's what I was afraid of ... I'm guessing that the beaches are roped off so that the free beach goers cannot access the day pass folks? Maybe buy dad a day pass, but don't want to be too far apart...

Was looking at the Hilton, but many people are saying the water isn't the best ... Heard that snorkeling off of cable beach is the best ... Idk --- very frustrating to figure out what to do in Nassau without spending a lot of money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you scubagirl ... That's what I was afraid of ... I'm guessing that the beaches are roped off so that the free beach goers cannot access the day pass folks? Maybe buy dad a day pass, but don't want to be too far apart...

It's not like there is a clear path between the hotel property and the public beach. You won't be dragging a chair to the edge of the property for dad then enjoying the public part. there are rocky walls and other "obstructions" along the beach. Plus security.

Was looking at the Hilton, but many people are saying the water isn't the best ...

Hilton is NOT an open beach.. it's enclosed on both sides with no public access. It's $60 per person (including a $40 lunch voucher). I've never had a problem with the water here.. it's one of my favorite spots.

Heard that snorkeling off of cable beach is the best ...

There is very little snorkeling from shore along cable beach (or cabbage beach). The former sheraton (now melia) created there own small reef for their patrons on their section of the beach.. it's not public.

Otherwise, there is sandy bottom and some light grassy areas, no reefs close to shore with beach access. . So I wouldn't let this determine where to enjoy a few hours at the beach.

Idk --- very frustrating to figure out what to do in Nassau without spending a lot of money

Hope this helps

Is Cable Beach next to Cabbage Beach? I went to Cabbage Beach once- do you recall the bus # that takes you to the bridge? As I recall the undertow was pretty strong but it was gorgeous. I'd like to go there again. Am I wrong in thinking it's right next door?

Is Cable Beach next to Cabbage Beach? I went to Cabbage Beach once- do you recall the bus # that takes you to the bridge? As I recall the undertow was pretty strong but it was gorgeous. I'd like to go there again. Am I wrong in thinking it's right next door?

Cable beach is on the main island and is located approx 5 miles west of the port. It is accessible by the #10 jitney. Cabbage Beach is located on Paradise Island about 2 miles Northeast of the port. There are no buses allowed on the island.

There are several buses that will take you to the foot of the bridge, you can find them on Bay Street loading in front of the Royal Bank. Don't remember the #, but the jitney's have the locations posted on them. Look for Paradise Bridge. Coming back is a bit tricky, as it's harder to find a jitney going back to town. You need to go up to Shirley street and wait for a jitney.

I'd recommend you take a cab back. It's $4pp.

And yes, Cabbage Beach has an undertow. We have had dozens of near drownings here this season... and no lifeguards or help.

Cable beach is on the main island and is located approx 5 miles west of the port. It is accessible by the #10 jitney. Cabbage Beach is located on Paradise Island about 2 miles Northeast of the port. There are no buses allowed on the island.

There are several buses that will take you to the foot of the bridge, you can find them on Bay Street loading in front of the Royal Bank. Don't remember the #, but the jitney's have the locations posted on them. Look for Paradise Bridge. Coming back is a bit tricky, as it's harder to find a jitney going back to town. You need to go up to Shirley street and wait for a jitney.

I'd recommend you take a cab back. It's $4pp.

And yes, Cabbage Beach has an undertow. We have had dozens of near drownings here this season... and no lifeguards or help.

Thank you so much. IIRC Cabbage Beach is the #2 jitney. Maybe we'll head to Cable Beach instead. Does the bus take US single dollars? I recall taking a taxi back from Cabbage Beach last time. Yeah- not trying to deal with that undertow at all. Is Cable Beach "safer"?

Thank you so much. IIRC Cabbage Beach is the #2 jitney. Maybe we'll head to Cable Beach instead. Does the bus take US single dollars? I recall taking a taxi back from Cabbage Beach last time. Yeah- not trying to deal with that undertow at all. Is Cable Beach "safer"?

Cable beach has a much milder surf. (it's protected by a reef about 1 mile out).

Unless there's a storm, you shouldn't have a problem at Cable Beach.

As for jitney's.. there are many that stop at the base of Paradise Bridge, you don''t have to look for a specific number.

Scubagirl .... What about Breezes day pass? For $65/pp for unlimited seems like a good deal ... My son who is active duty wants so e good drinking time as he hasn't vacationed (much less cruised) in a long time ... My bf will most likely join in the libations ... I'll have some too ... My dad will just chill out and people watch ... What kind of water activities do they have?

We were thinking of the British colonial Hilton, but the prices of food and drinks probably would surpass the vouchers ... Idk ... So frustrated.

Hope this helps

Scubagirl, do u find one beach like cable, cabbage, paradise cove (I think that's what I heard it was called) or any other better then the other. I really want clear sandy bottom, will I be looking at sea weeds and/or needing wet shoes here? This will be my first time and I'm trying to compare it to Grand Cayman

Scubagirl, do u find one beach like cable, cabbage, paradise cove (I think that's what I heard it was called) or any other better then the other. I really want clear sandy bottom, will I be looking at sea weeds and/or needing wet shoes here? This will be my first time and I'm trying to compare it to Grand Cayman

While I can't recommend one over the other, I can tell you that both Cable and Cabbage has soft sandy bottom. Cabbage has boulder size coral rocks imbedded in the sand which can "stub" your toes, and is far rougher than the others.

Don't know which beach you are thinking of as Paradise Cove, they change these names every season ... but if you are thinking of the one thats inside the breakwater at Atlantis, it's very rocky, calmer than elsewhere, and for Atlantis guests and pass holders only.

As for sea weed, it can happen anywhere.. it comes with the weather and if one beach has it.. the others will as well.

The only beach I recommend beach shoes for is Junkanoo beach where it's rocky on the beach getting to the water. But the water has a sandy bottom.