RCCL Drinks packages worth it?

Hi all,

I've been looking into drinks packages for our radiance cruise next year and I'm wondering, at $68aud per day is it really worth it for the ultimate package? This will add an extra $1000 to our trip and we are wondering if we should splurge or not

Hi all,

I've been looking into drinks packages for our radiance cruise next year and I'm wondering, at $68aud per day is it really worth it for the ultimate package? This will add an extra $1000 to our trip and we are wondering if we should splurge or not

$68 per day is a lot and do you think you can drink that much everyday and still enjoy yourself

Edited by rkmw

Go for it. You don't need to be drunk everyday to enjoy the package. With cocktails (alcoholic & non) ranging from $6-10, fresh juices $3.75 and glasses of wine $7-15 even getting a bottle of wine at dinner sets you back $30!! Throw in some beers or frozen drinks and then sodas and before you know it you're close to daily amount. I'm not recommending you go mad drinking but it does allow you to get adventurous and try different drinks without wasting money if you don't like them. We loved having no expenses (other than a trip to paid restaurant)...in the end you know what you like and your budget!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Forums mobile app

$68 per day is a lot and do you think you can drink that much everyday and still enjoy yourself

To get the cheaper alcohol package I would need to forgo fresh juices and milkshakes etc

Not something I'm keen to do because during the day I don't tend to drink alcoholic beverages

Edited by kirst123

I have read on the main RCI board that you can buy any of the drink packages on board but you don't have to buy it for all nights BUT you have to buy it on board at least before the last 4 nights. Hope that makes sense.

So you could just buy it for the last 4 nights and drink like crazy - not encouraging that but if you want to save $$

Hi all,

Depends on how much you drink remembering most people drink more o. Holidays

Sea days give a lot of drinking time but not so port days so look at numbers of sea days

Some people make very good use of the package others it is wasteful

Totally personal

Work out realistic alcohol consumption on a night out and add that up plus daytime drinking for sea days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all,

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you or not, it completely depends on your drinking patterns, and yes drinks do add up quickly especially when you factor in stuff like coffees, bottle water, soft drink, milkshakes and then add the alcoholic stuff onto that! :cool:

Just remember that the $68 a day is every day! This is the catch where I think they are able to make their money as even heavy drinkers that could easily get their $68 worth and then some on most days it's like that they will have to have at least one or two quiet or dry days so to say.

I got the premium package on Celebrity and it definitely has pros and cons, it's great being able to order absolutely anything whenever you want and not have to worry about signing a slip to pay for it, you end up having things like afternoon cocktails that you otherwise might skip to keep the bill down if you were paying individually.

The big con for me is that my bill ended up being about $300-400 more than what I would usually spend on a cruise of that length in drinks. So while I enjoyed myself and did a lot of things I normally wouldn't do drinks wise like coffees and fancy cocktails/wines, getting great value from my package, the cruise line still wins at the end of the day with more $$$.

For me personally if I went again I would probably opt for one of the lower packages as a lot of the stuff in the premium wasn't worth it for me as I'm not big on super premium spirits or martinis so the classic would have done me fine. Molecular bar cocktails are great but was so popular that it took forever to get served and a lot of the time even though I could have ordered really expensive drinks for free all I wanted at the time was a simple Corona or Jack and coke:p

Also keep in mind that things like milkshakes, smoothies, super premium spirits etc probably aren't as readily available as you might hope they are, the bars tend to stock pretty mainstream stuff anyway which makes using a high end package hard, well I thought so anyway.

Personally, and I believe generally, it's not financially worth it.

But some put a value on the convenience, or prepayment or options you might try, so find value that way.

If you're happy to pay the price, then enjoy the flexibility. But you can still buy drinks and will most likely come in under that amount, without difficulty.

We have looked at the package on several occasions but could not warrant the expense.

In every case we have come out in front by not buying the package. Mind you we are not heavy drinkers but still enjoy our daily drinks and dinner drinks. We also have 2-3 coffees p day.

These packages are designed for the cruise line to come out in front.

Now that we are Diamond level with RcL i just cannot see the benefit in the alcoholic drink package.

Another observation. Since the intro of drink packages, i have seen more and more glasses left behind in places they shouldnt be, such as stairs and promenade decks. Even seen them trying to be sneeked out to muster. Seems to me that this is just introducing a yobbo type of attitude.

Some may not like this observation, but that is what is happening.

Hi all,

Hi,

I agree totally with the comment made about sea days. The last cruise we went on we had a total of 7 sea days out 10 & well & truly made good use of the drinks package. Spent WELL OVER the 10 day figure. In 2013 we did Alaska & because there was so many port days 4 out 7 it was not good value.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

I would call myself a bit of a drinker on a cruise but I soon learned I wasnt:D

We had the premium package for a 14 nighter last year and early on the 5th morning we cancelled it! I was happy to splurge the US$55pp a day but by the 5th morning we both realised we were overdoing it by drinking drinks we would not normally drink! and the measures were way bigger than we were used to.

On a short cruise it would be worth it but on longer trips I doubt it would be. We saved quite a lot by cancelling as between us we couldnt drink anywhere near US $110 a day.

The 5th morning the beverage manager allowed us to cancel but we were charged for the 5th day, we actually wanted to go "Dry" that day as we both needed to:)

People must also realise that friends and even partners can grow horns lol when you can drink as much as you like! We met a few couples who were no longer eating together as one would be too drunk, hungover or up all night drinking in the Disco;)

Many people (Us included) just cant help but chase the daily dollar value, so ask yourself would you really spend that much money on drink each and every single day:) we learned we couldnt.

We did the package for our 2013 cruise in April to Hawaii. This was an 18 night cruise. We actually prepaid for the package before we embarked on the cruise. By doing this it was paid for well in advance of the cruise, and therefore not a “surprise” on the end of cruise account. Just to give you an idea I paid roughly $1800 for the 2 of us.

Also by partaking in the package there is no surprise on the account in regard to the amount of drinks you have had during the cruise.

Was it worth it you ask, well… for us it was. We found the convenience of the package was good, tips are included in the package, so no need to worry about extra tipping should you wish too. (note: 15% gratuity is already added to your drinks bill anyways) and as stated no “surprise”.

The way I looked at the package and if I would get value out of it was this. On an average “at sea day” and depending on your drinking habits (DW and I are not big drinkers) but being on holiday, we could (and most days did) have a cocktail before lunch, maybe a beer/wine/drink or 2 during lunch, in the afternoon by the pool enjoy a drink or 2 or 3 (come now we are on holidays). Then dinner time, again beer/wine/drinks (generally 2 or 3). And finally of course, evening times, whatever drinks take your fancy. So would we get $55(package cost at the time) worth of drinks a day? If you look at it the way we did, I would say YES. This also includes premixed soft drinks from the bars, so throw in a few of them as well during the day it all adds up. But we paced ourselves so that we were never staggering around or had hangovers the next day.

Also, if there is a drink you always wanted to try, but never thought to do so due to wasting it or buying it and not liking it, this is the time to experiment without the guilt part as you have already paid for it in the package.

Some people obviously go crazy because it is “unlimited” and try to get plastered every night and by day 4 are suffering for it, and then don’t want to drink anymore, so they stop and waste the package.

On port days you obviously won’t drink as much, but that does get offset by sea days, and on this cruise there are more sea days than port days.

Are we going to get the package again, you bet ya! It is one less thing to worry about at the end of the cruise.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I thought it would be good for you to get a perspective from someone who has had the package. I am happy to answer any questions regarding this.

We also got the packages on our cruise in feb 2014. I got the $20 replenish pack which included non alcoholic cocktails and coffees ect, hubby went the basic wine/beer package $45 and Mr5 had kids soft drink at $4.50. I found it to be really worth it. I tried lots of drinks and it was nice not to have the bar bill at the end of the cruise. It made for an all inclusive package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the premium drinks package on our last 15 night celebrity cruise and I don't think I would do it again. Yes it was nice to order a drink and not worry about how much it was costing, however we certainly didn't drink our monies worth. We like wine every night and had coffees etc through the day, cocktails each day. Still we couldn't drink enough to make if worth while.

Cost it out, search for the drinks cost on the ship you're going on and price out what you think realistically you would drink in a day and see for yourself.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

We also has the $55 premium package on our voyager 14 night cruise. It was great in the fact that we bought it quite a few months before when the dollar was good (the people that waited and bought it onboard paid quite a bit more) as it was $55US and the dollar had dropped by then plus the ships conversion is a shocker. It was so nice not having to sign slips and order whatever you wanted. I don't drink much but found myself trying different cocktails and if I didn't like them, no problems just get a different one or if they got a bit warm from being in the sun just get another fresh cold one, would never do that if you were paying $12 a pop. Another convenient thing was getting some bottles of water to take off at ports with you. As the ship is American they make the drinks soooooo strong as well. I would ask for a bailys on ice and would get a medium size glass full to the top and with crushed ice, if purchased at a land hotel I would think it was a triple/quadruple :eek: and probably cost $15-$20. There was 6 of us (3 couples) we all had the package and the staff knew so we would just order whatever and they would remember and keep bringing. The husbands would also get like a 6 pack of beer/Guinness and take back to room. We had heard you couldn't do that but they did many times and it was actually the bar and suggestion in the first place. Lol. It was good that even though we obviously had to pay for it, it was quite a few months before, and at the end of the cruise to have a drinks bill at $0 was great.

We went on the Mariner last year for a 10 day cruise and bought the drink package, well worth it as it does not take long for the bill to run up without the package. Better the devil you know thank keep looking at your account and watching it add up.

There was so many people who came up and said they wish they did the drink package.