Cairns: Visit Green Island or Marine World

We will be in Cairns for 2 days on RC Rhapsody. Trying to decide which trip we should do to see some of the GBR. We will dock in Cairns on Feb. 21, 2015 at 8:00AM, and stay overnight and leave on Feb. 22, 2015 at 5:00PM (17:00). I have narrowed it down to 2 tours and would like some feedback from anyone that has done either of these trips.

Tour #1 is to Green Island through Green Island Discovery: http://www.greatadventures.com.au/tours/green-island-discovery.html

Price is $106.00 pp, and includes transportation to Green Island, and back to Cairns. I think we should be able to make the 8:30AM time (as long as Rhapsody docks on time, and we plan to be first off the ship). We do love beaches and this sounds like a great day.

I am not sure if this will give us a true picture of the Great Barrier Reef.

Tour #2 is to Marine World through Reef Magic Cruises:

http://reefmagiccruises.tourstogo.com.au/tour/125-reef-magic-cruises-marine-world-outer-barrier-reef-cruise/

Price is $195.00 pp, and includes transportation to the Poontoon in the Great Barrier Reef, along with the glass bottom boat, among other things. This will give us the true experience in the Great Barrier Reef.

If anyone has done either or both of these tours, maybe some feedback would help me to decide which one we would like to do. DH like to snorkel, me, not so much. We both love the beaches and love to walk. We have done snorkeling in Hawaii, the South Pacific (Bora Bora, and the French Polynesia Islands), Belize and several places in the Caribbean.

On Day 2, we plan do visit the Kuranda Railway.

Edited by debshomespun

Marine world

Hands down

I have done both tours and found green island a little boring, if you want to see the reef you will need to go out to the pontoons, green island, whilst it has coral near the shore, has for wont of a better word bleached coral near the shore and very limited marine life to see.

I concur. Last time I was on Green Island I was seriously underwhelmed by the whole experience. The outer reef is far better IMO, having visited several over a period of years.

But, that is only if you are keen on seeing the reef. If you only want to "beach" it, Green Island would give you a bit of that.

Marine world on the pontoon has a lot to offer and from memory the green island your is a half day your

Not full day as marine world

Greg island is good for

Kids to run around on and go for walks

Marine world is snorkelling and diving

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The coral around Green Island is not what it used to be, so the snorkeling is less than impressive. It is nice to sit on the beach, although spots sheltered from the wind can get a bit crowded.

The downside of the pontoon is that it is very exposed to wind and waves and in relatively deeper water, which can make it very uncomfortable for inexperienced snorkelers in windy weather.