What wines would you bring onboard-5 nights

dfwguy

We sail on a 5 night repositioning cruise; lax-yvr in April 2015. We wish to bring 3 or 4 bottles of really good wine for our dinner enjoyment. We are aware of corkage fees and are OK with that. Anyone willing to share your 'essential' wines to bring? Considering a Cab, Chardonnay. Riesling, Rhone, chianti, etc. to make our dinners more enjoyable - Planning on bringing a vintage port to enjoy for desserts and a nice champagne (bringing a champagne stopper) .

We sail on a 5 night repositioning cruise; lax-yvr in April 2015. We wish to bring 3 or 4 bottles of really good wine for our dinner enjoyment. We are aware of corkage fees and are OK with that. Anyone willing to share your 'essential' wines to bring? Considering a Cab, Chardonnay. Riesling, Rhone, chianti, etc. to make our dinners more enjoyable - Planning on bringing a vintage port to enjoy for desserts and a nice champagne (bringing a champagne stopper) .

We enjoy dry reds. My husband makes his own wine, so we usually drink his. But why not try wines from your port area? We are sailing from Seattle so we want to try cabs and Merlots from the Columbia Valley.

Save the corkage few by opening the wine in your room. We carry on 2 wines (only 2 are permitted by RCI, so check your cruise line policy). And we buy a 5 bottle package for 7 nights, taking the extra wine back to our room or enjoying a glass while watching a show.

Still waiting for ships to carry microbrews.

Most ships only allow 1 (ONE) bottle of wine per person so two of you can only bring one bottler each. They MUST be taken on with your carry-ons or they may be taken until the last morning from suitcases. Consider the wine package. I believe you can state the wines you want and when you want them. Check this out on line for your ship.

Thanks, Cardomon. We have an overnight in LA (arrive from TX), so scoring some really good (and hard to find outside of West Coast ) CA wines is a great idea. We are on Coral princess.

Edited by dfwguy

When we bring 2 bottles of wine with us, we usually bring a red zin. call "Plunger Head."

We discovered this wine when I was invited to a "Crazy Label" party. Everyone brought a bottle of wine with the craziest label. I asked our local wine shop owner (it helps that he is a neighbor), and he recommended that one. It is our go to everyday red, and the best part is that you don't need a cork screw to remove the cork. It is a strippable (not sure that is a word) wax seal, and then you can remove/replace the waxed top cork.

Totally depends on your preference. While I prefer a cold crisp sweet Riesling, other folks would turn up their nose and want the driest red they could find. When folks ask "what's a good wine?" I always reply, "the one you like".