Has anyone had a bad experience with Randi Happy Horses?

MAN86

I have searched these boards high and low and have yet to read one single bad word about this excursion - Great! I want to do it so bad, my husband is on the fence (However, I already put our names in :D )

For my own curiostiy I was just curious if anyone out there has anything negative to say. :confused:

Nothing negative at all. We have ridden with Randi, Tony, Maria and the gang several times and had no problems. We have never observed any problems. I know that they have horses for every level of rider. Just be honest with them. If you have never ridden before or are timid about it, tell them and they will match you up with a calm 'bulletproof' horse and will stay with you to make sure tht you have a good time.

I suspect that more than once instance of bolting has to do with a rider who had little real riding experience, but styled himself or herself as an 'expert'. My husband and I own 4 horses and ride often, but do not consider ourselves 'expert' riders by any means. We see people overstate their abilities frequently on these shore excursions and end up with a horse they can barely handle. Remember, horses are living creatures, each with a different temperment. The goal is to have a good time ahead not kill yourself by being 'macho' or whatever. While noting is ever perfectly safe, I feel Randi and her crew go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great day.

By the way Victor's, the restaurant where you stop at the end of the ride, is awesome. Randi buys the first beer. Their lunches are terrific. My husband and I ordered grilled fish, they walked to the dock, bought the fish, cleaned it, cooked it and served it. Yum! The garlic shrimp looked terrific as well. One of my favorite places!

Linda

Randi uses the Mexican saddle exclusively. You are essentially sitting right on the wooden tree. They are similar to a Western saddle. If you have a decent seat, they are surprisingly comfortable, even for long rides (though I find it much easier to post the trot rather than sit the trot as I do at home--I ride western/gymkhana with some English thrown in for training purposes).

Your daughter will do fine as long as you both think of it as a recreational ride rather than a training ride. By the way, if you ask Randi, she will be happy to give your daughter some pointers. She spent a many years doing cutting and reining and most everything else there is to do on a horse. Even though she has a mostly Western background, good riding is good riding no matter what the discipline.

Enjoy!! If your daughter is anything like I was as a kid, she will be in heaven just being on or near a horse.

Linda

I did have a bad experience with her "many" years ago. The problem is that if you say anything negative about her on this board, you get ripped a new one by her fans or you get acccused of being her "competition" Its not worth it.

We did not have a bad experience ... had a great time. My daughter (who was 11 at the time) got scared, and her horse acted up just a bit. So one of Randi's assistants tied her horse up to his and he walked her slowly down the beach and pointed out all kinds of interesting things. She was able to relax and really enjoyed herself. Randi knows the locals, and made the trip a success!

Bajalover: All opinions are welcome on every one of our message boards and personal attacks on those who post negative reviews will not be tolerated; however we do ask that if you do have a less than positive experience with any tour op on any cruise that you state why.. not just a post "I had a terrible time, not worth it, they are awful.." type post...

Hello Man86, We had a good day like many others... however I do have a differing opinion than many about Victor's (the post-ride restaurant) - I have posted my 'opinion' which you can find if you quickly search the threads of my profile - (I have to agree with Baja's comment) The day itself isn't just about 'horseback riding' - it is a very insightful day into 'real Mexico' (I don't know how else to say it - maybe someone else can describe it better). Go and enjoy - BUT - be prepared for a very exhausting day, find another way back to the ship from Victor's and be prepared for VERY persistant vendors (regardless of what Randi's 'fans' say) - You WILL have a day full of memories and will be very glad to get into that tiny ship shower!!! ;) Jayna K

Host Caroline, I was not trying to be rude. I HAVE posted my opinion previously and it was not honored here. I have posted many other opinions on other topics with no problems, but it does seem that this one on the Mexican Riviera is monopolized by some that cannot tolerate other peoples opinions.

Host Caroline, I was not trying to be rude. I HAVE posted my opinion previously and it was not honored here. I have posted many other opinions on other topics with no problems, but it does seem that this one on the Mexican Riviera is monopolized by some that cannot tolerate other peoples opinions.

Didn't take it as being rude at all!! Like I said, every excursion isn't for everyone and that's okay...

*snip*

Go and enjoy - BUT - be prepared for a very exhausting day, find another way back to the ship from Victor's and be prepared for VERY persistant vendors
*snip*

I'm confused about finding another way back to the ship from Victor's. I thought that Randi provided transportation back to the ship?

Iggi- sorry to confuse you - yes, she certainly does deliver you right back to the ship (well as close as she can get you there!) We just thought the time spent at Victor's was way too long for us and we hadn't researched any other way to get back. You go back as a group on a tractor, then a boat, then a truck - after spending a LONG time at Victor's where you are given plenty of opportunity to buy lunch and misc from the vendors. Pls don't get me wrong, Victor's is fine, but 45 min there would have been loads of time for us. The beach is not lovely to lay and you can't sit for a minute any way because the vendors come - despite what the 'fans' say!!!! (maybe the day we were there Randi wasn't up to chasing them away - I don't know but it didn't happen for us ...)

I did read somewhere that you can arrange for a water taxi to pick you up right from Victor's and avoid the long trip via "planes-trains-automobiles" back. Jayna K

My kids are 5 and 7 and really enjoy beach time. We are conflicted about whether to do Randi's or go to Las Caletas or some equally nice beach and just play - how long is the ride part? Is there a time to play on the beach? :confused: Thank you.

For the poster with a daughter - my grandkids still talk about Randi and the horses and the beach. The kids played in the water - Randi had to walk out and "encourage" them to come in as we were leaving. I think she even had to get my husband. I have seen somewhere on this board about how to get back if you don't want to stay at Victor's - those instructions came from Randi. I know not everyone has a pleasurable time on all tours and I respect that. Sometimes when we are called "her fans" it sounds like a bad thing when in fact we have had such a great time and find it hard to understand anything said negative about her and her tour. I, for one, will work on that.

Hello Doc - your 8 and 10 yr olds will LOVE it! The 5 year old may be a little young but perhaps they could double- up with you?? - not sure on that, but if you e-mail Randi she would let you know. The horses are just lovely - definately 'fat and happy' and certainly nothing for any child to be nervous of - but by the same token they're not dull and boring either! They do a fantastic job of matching rider with horse (they must have e.s.p. or something??) and if there is a small, quiet, gentle horse for your 5 year old, Randi would save it for them. Just e-mail her...

Each ride is different - ours was about 90 minutes. I didn't want to gallop so my horse was usually bringing up the rear. When we got to the beach he wanted to cool off so he walked in the surf (not too far out) and it felt so good. At the turn around point Tony takes pictures with everyone's camera - ours in the blown up and on the wall. We stayed at Victors until 2, talking to Randi, eating, drinking and swimming the warm water. I know we will visit Randi next time we are in Mazatlan. It is our favorite stop now.

Do you think two 50ish people would enjoy this trip? Looking for excursions for this October cruise

Everyone is different, but I think you would thoroughly enjoy Randi's Happy Horses. I am not 50 (yet ;) ) but my husband was 65 when we took Randi's tour (and had just had a 5-way heart bypass 6 months earlier). He thoroughly enjoyed it, and we are planning to go again in November.

The original poster asked for any negative remarks. Our experience was overall positive; however, this is my very candid opinion of our tour:

We enjoyed the ride for a variety of reasons: First of all, the "planes, trains and automobiles" that others have referred to was one of the most interesting parts of the tour. We rode in the back of a converted pickup to a small harbor area that was overrun with pelicans (and I mean that in a good way). We had a few minutes to look around and take pictures. Then we boarded small boats that took us to Stone Island. There we climbed onto a wagon that was pulled by a tractor, which took us to where the horses were waiting. The entire trip to get to the horses was quite rustic, but in our opinion, very interesting and enjoyable.

I am a very inexperienced rider and Randi gave me the perfect horse. I was comfortable with him (once I got over the jitters :eek: ). My husband requested a horse with a little more "personality". It ended up that he lead the pack most of the time, and my horse was lagging toward the back, stopping for "snacks" at every opportunity. :D

As to lunch at Victor's: We enjoyed it, but we were there a little longer than I would have liked. It seemed to me that it took a very long time to get our orders placed and then a longer time for lunch to arrive. However, keep in mind that Victor is cooking everything fresh (for 20ish people), so it will take some time. We had the shrimp platter and it was excellent. The onion rings looked great also and I was wishing I had ordered them. If you have never been there, visualize long plastic picnic tables and chairs in the sand, under a straw-type awning. It is very rustic and "outdoorish". The vendors were indeed very persistent. Randi did shoo them away every time they came around, but that didn't stop them from coming back.

I am not very active and I have to say, I was so sore I could hardly walk for a couple days! :D Even so, it was well worth the pain and I'm ready to go again!

we just came back from the disney magic last week. and we booked w/Randi's happy horses. our DSs were 3 & 6. we are not horse people, DH & i have never ridden on a horse...our DSs too, for that matter! was a bit hesitant at first...especially for our DS3. thru various emails...Randi reassured us that if he was any bit uncomfortable riding on his own, he can ride w/us, and that would be fine...but we can see once we get to the horses...sorta like "play it by ear".

the ride itself was long! add that w/the heat & humidity (which no one could have helped w/) our DSs were tired! DS3 was really falling asleep!! they tied a rope around him, kinda like a "seatbelt"...but i was still a bit worried. we told Tony's father, who was "pairing" you up w/the horses, that we have never ridden on horses, our first time, etc. DS3 rode on his own horse, along w/another little girl (maybe 7/8?) and a boy that worked w/for randi. so he was basically right there, riding w/the other girl & our DS3.

every horse sorta go on its own pace...however fast or slow. so our family was basically "separated"...although i had a sight of both our DSs. (but nowhere close to get to if anything should've happened...like falling off his horse...DS6 did not have the seatbelt thing on!) but we went on this excursion w/other families that were on the same cruise...and we've met them prior on the ship...so we were all sorta "watching out" for each other's children...which made me feel someone at ease. knowing that my DSs were way ahead/back...that someone was calling to them...and i was doing the same!

anyways...we did have a great time. and the time at the beach was just right. our boys got to play in the water, and that was a nice treat after such a long tiring ride!

any questions...i'd be happy to answer! cuz i had tons before we went!! :)

We rode with Randi this past Thursday and all I can say is do it!

We had a four year old in our group who rode and did great and a lady who was quite nervous about the ride. Randi's crew stayed right with her the whole way so the horse wouldn't run off to keep up with the rest of the pack.

My two daughters (14/13) loved the ride although we all were a little sore in the back yesterday.

Plan for about 4 - 5 hours total time for the excursion including lunch at Victor's afterwards. The shrimp kebab was delicious!

Don't forget the bug repellent!!!

Archived