RCI WiFi Package Questions

Hi All,

I finally joined the era of technology and got a IPhone 5. This will be the first time that I will be taking it with me on board ship. We are sailing on EOS July 31st. I plan on calling Verizon to see what packages they can offer me while on the 9 night cruise etc.

Bear with me because this is ALL new to me. I know that I would turn my phone to airplane mode if I'm not making calls or sending texts to avoid roaming charges. But while on board EOS, I can purchase their WiFi package to be able to check email, post here to CC, Facebook correct? How does it work, once I purchase the package I get a logon and password for my WiFi account? OK make me smart on this because it's all above my head. :rolleyes:

Should I not bother to purchase RCI WiFi, would Verizon plans cover that? So confused....Share your stories please.

Thanks!

Anne,

You leave you phone on but turn off the Data. Verizon charges .05 cents per text received and .50 cents per text sent. This way you'll be able to receive texts/calls while you're on the cruise without incurring data roaming charges. Also, leave WIFI enabled on your phone that way you can use the ship/port wifi for FB, Emails, Pics etc.

Anne,

You leave you phone on but turn off the Data. Verizon charges .05 cents per text received and .50 cents per text sent. This way you'll be able to receive texts/calls while you're on the cruise without incurring data roaming charges. Also, leave WIFI enabled on your phone that way you can use the ship/port wifi for FB, Emails, Pics etc.

Thanks Takesha! I think since I already get 60 minutes free internet service while on board, will just buy the package when I run out of the minutes. I just want to make sure I can keep in touch with my pet sitter, my family and the young lady that is traveling with us, Mom too. Plus I promised photos of the Cape Liberty pier progress, lol. It's nice to be able to check email and just post to CC or FB while away. Will definitely take advantage of the free WiFi in the places when we stop too. Thanks so much all...you have ALL been very helpful. As always CC'ers are the greatest people!

I think since I already get 60 minutes free internet service while on board, will just buy the package when I run out of the minutes.

Double-check what coupons you have available before you do this.

During our last cruise on Independence of the Seas, my Crown & Anchor coupon sheet showed that I had two coupons available: a free hour and 20% off a package. My plan was to use the free hour, try out the speed and if it was acceptable, buy a package. The 20%-off coupon didn't apply automatically and I had to get a credit back to my credit card after returning home. Guest Services onboard wasn't able to resolve the missing credit and commented that my coupon sheet was in error and that there was only one coupon available for Diamond members: a free hour OR $29.95 (the cost of an hour) off a package.

Since Independence of the Seas had an unlimited package, I would have simply chosen the unlimited package to start off with if I had realized that there was this coupon confusion in their system.

Double-check what coupons you have available before you do this.

During our last cruise on Independence of the Seas, my Crown & Anchor coupon sheet showed that I had two coupons available: a free hour and 20% off a package. My plan was to use the free hour, try out the speed and if it was acceptable, buy a package. The 20%-off coupon didn't apply automatically and I had to get a credit back to my credit card after returning home. Guest Services onboard wasn't able to resolve the missing credit and commented that my coupon sheet was in error and that there was only one coupon available for Diamond members: a free hour OR $29.95 (the cost of an hour) off a package.

Since Independence of the Seas had an unlimited package, I would have simply chosen the unlimited package to start off with if I had realized that there was this coupon confusion in their system.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely check that out once we board. I think I'm going to check with the Concierge and ask him to assist if I have any issues.

You won't pay roaming charges unless you make text or calls or have a stupid package

Put the phone setting to turn off data roaming and leave rest as us

Oh careful of answering calls they are roaming and expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I do.

Data roaming off and I change my message to say "I'm off cruising and will not be answering the phone. If it's urgent send me a text". With most carriers it's free to receive texts. Then I can decide what to do -text/call/email/

Raina

I believe the rules for charges using cellular at sea are different (or were different) than for International Roaming. I've been charged for the phone ringing while at sea.

Ahh, I've never used the cellular at sea option...so that may be the confusion/error on my part.

Just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for the very helpful information. I actually copied and pasted into a word document to take with me as reference. I decided not to bother getting any plan from Verizon since I probably won't be making hardly any calls or doing any texting too. I'll just stick to the WiFi on the ship and when I can get it in the islands to check email, upload photos to CC or FB. Thanks again everyone. Happy Cruising!!!

P.S. Will try to start a live thread while I'm gone to post photos and write a review if I can. ;)