Gem room question - please advise

MrMike45

Me and my wife are booked on the 9 day cruise from NY in October.

We currently have a midship to aft Balcony room on the 10th floor. Thinking about upgrading to a mini suite, but it would be a front room on the 11th floor.

Can anyone tell me what the differences in the rooms are other than the square feet? Is the balcony bigger? Bathroom bigger? Where is the extra feet?

And if my wife is a little prone to sea sickness, is the mid to aft room a better choice?

Thanks

Me and my wife are booked on the 9 day cruise from NY in October.

We currently have a midship to aft Balcony room on the 10th floor. Thinking about upgrading to a mini suite, but it would be a front room on the 11th floor.

Can anyone tell me what the differences in the rooms are other than the square feet? Is the balcony bigger? Bathroom bigger? Where is the extra feet?

And if my wife is a little prone to sea sickness, is the mid to aft room a better choice?

Thanks

You'll have about 80 square foot more room in the cabin, a tub/shower combination instead of just a shower, and a curtain to separate the bed from the sleeper sofa in the mini suite.

The mid ship location is best for feeling the least amount of movement, and a lower deck is better for feeling less of the rolling type movement. The front of the ship generally feels the most motion, followed by the back....and mid-ship feeling the least motion.

Deck 11 has the pool deck/buffet area above and there can be some noise from the pool deck in the morning as they set up the pool lounge chairs...a bit of a bang and scraping noise.

for the largest balconies on the GEM look at the category B1 aft balconies,these are located right across the back of the ship. The ones on deck 10 being the largest, followed by deck 9....deck 8 would still be larger than the balconies on the side of the ship...but may have some noise issues from the Bliss lounge/bowling alley located on deck 7 below those cabins. I know at one time there were reports of a base sound from the speakers in the lounge.

Deck 11 front is a great location on the Gem. Was just in 11512 (right by the front elevators) and its a great location. One floor below the pool and buffet so very convenient. Absolutely no noise from above in that particular area. Was in the same room last year and picked it again this time for the great location.

Deck 11 front is a great location on the Gem. Was just in 11512 (right by the front elevators) and its a great location. One floor below the pool and buffet so very convenient. Absolutely no noise from above in that particular area. Was in the same room last year and picked it again this time for the great location.

Agree with Chrisaf. We were in 11012 (same cabin, opposite side) and appreciated being close to all the good stuff, but without any noise. We would definitely pick it again.

FWIW, the cabins for the ships officers are also on the forward part of deck 11.

We were in 11002, all the way forward on the starboard side. The crew access door to the bridge is right outside the cabin door, but it wasn't really any bother. Cruise Director's cabin is next door... great neighbor; only there to change clothes & sleep. Cabin is located directly under one of the spa treatment rooms.

One wing of the bridge is visible from the balcony, cool view at night!

Much more interior room than mid-ship balcony... and DW thoroughly enjoyed having a tub. We'd book this particular cabin again in a heartbeat.

Edited by azappraiser