QV cabin allocation

kir royale

Hi we booked a saver fare for QV to the Baltic 10th August.

We booked guarantee balcony,ie obstructed deck 5.

Have been upgraded to unobstructed deck 4, cabin 4005.

This is a metal fronted balcony forward, 3 cabins from the front.Does anyone have any experience of this cabin or similar.

Thanks in advance.Not been on QV before so any info will be helpful.

Hi we booked a saver fare for QV to the Baltic 10th August.

We booked guarantee balcony,ie obstructed deck 5.

Have been upgraded to unobstructed deck 4, cabin 4005.

This is a metal fronted balcony forward, 3 cabins from the front.Does anyone have any experience of this cabin or similar.

Thanks in advance.Not been on QV before so any info will be helpful.

First of all the Queen Victoria is a great ship and i am almost certain you will enjoy the cruise, Your upgraded cabin I am not sure, when sat down you can not see over the side, we never take a guaranteed cabin, you have every chance of being upgraded to a cabin that is not selling. We did take a upgrade once on Q.E.2 but it was the worst cabin we ever had due to noise. Now we always pick the cabins that we know. If you cruise again on the Q.V. (im sure you will) look round the ship when the cabins are being cleaned and you will get a good idea. Once again enjoy your trip.:)

It could have been me writing this post as we too booked a saver fare for an obstructed balcony but been given a regular balcony on deck 4! Happy with the upgrade! Counting down to the holiday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our first voyage on QV was an upgrade to metal fronted balcony, we loved it!!

A much larger balcony, nice quiet area and it did not bother us not having a glass front as we were usually standing but could also see when sitting. There was quite a bit of creaking going on in our cabin throughout the night and we were given a roll of ducktape which helped, there was also a fair bit of motion being at the front but only until across the Bay of Biscay. We now tend to book midship cabins as the walk to the Britannia restaurant was the only downer, but then the theatre and commodore club are very handy, but thats us being lazy! Have a fabulous time she is a really beauty, I did think about staying on for this voyage also but sadly I get off when you get on!

Just to give the other side...we had an 'obstructed' view deck 5 cabin on the QV and they tried to 'upgrade' us to a deck 4 unobstructed view...we declined it.

Deck 5 obstructed view cabins aren't very obstructed at all and are mid-ship, whereas the upgraded deck 4 cabins were fore and aft.

There are pictures of the views on the cunard website.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qv_obs

Your view is obstructed looking down but not out onto the scenery.

Edited by Cruise NH

I've been assigned rooms 4002 and 4004 in the past so I can give you the lowdown.

For me personally they were the 'rooms from Hell'. For someone else they won't be a problem at all. It depends on your habits.

First, you can hear the noise from the theatre at night. If you're out enjoying the night life of the ship then it won't disturb you in the slightest. I was always out in the Queen's Room dancing so I didn't hear it.

Second, on the mornings you arrive in port there is a lot of noise. If you're an early riser then it won't bother you. When left to myself I can sleep in until after 11am, so the noise was a problem, especially as I am easily awoken even with a sleeping tablet. Also, I have a medical condition that makes me somewhat noise sensitive. People in the cabins around me didn't like the noise but were not as distressed by it as I was. There are two types of noise. First you get the hydraulics as that hatch at the front of the ship opens for someone to stand on as they go into port. You may only get that if the ship docks on your side; I'm not sure if both open. Second, there's a completely different engine noise for up to two hours as the ship docks. (Is it thrusters?) It's heard at the front of the ship. If you are up early in order to watch the ship dock, it won't worry you. (You also get the noises as the ship departs, but you will be busy then getting ready for dinner. On a couple of days I managed to get in a 2-hour nap after coming back from the port and before the departure noises started up.)

The good news is that the people at the Purser's desk were very understanding. On the first cruise they moved me back to an obstructed view balcony (the grade I'd paid for); on the second cruise I was given a sleeping room. I used that for the times we'd be arriving in port, and used my own room for the other nights. If the noise distresses you, go to the Purser's desk and quietly explain the situation. Don't be rude; they will do their best for you. Go back a couple of hours later to see if they've managed to arrange something so that they know you are serious. I told them I'd be prepared to downgrade to Oceanview if necessary as I was so badly affected.

Unfortunately there ARE noisy rooms on a ship and statistics say that we will probably experience one at some point. Don't let it spoil your holiday. Your fallback option is to live through the noise and take afternoon naps if you have to.