Celebration ideas for DD 18th Birthday??

ladyj3641

Booked a last minute cruise for my DDs 18th birthday going to Key West and Cozumel. We will be in Key West on her birthday, but haven't really found much to do there. Going to Carlos & Charlies in Cozumel the next day. Anyone have any ideas how to celebrate her 18th??

Booked a last minute cruise for my DDs 18th birthday going to Key West and Cozumel. We will be in Key West on her birthday, but haven't really found much to do there. Going to Carlos & Charlies in Cozumel the next day. Anyone have any ideas how to celebrate her 18th??

I have an idea - take her on a surprise cruise! Isn't the cruise enough?

She's very happy with the cruise. I never said it wasn't enough; however, I would like to do SOMETHING on her birthday in Key West. I asked for suggestions, as I've never been to Key West, not rudeness.

133973830_2014-01-0516_42_17.jpg.c905e100c5822361bca8923464711b89.jpg

Kermit's Key Lime shop will give her a free slice of pie for her birthday. And you will like it too.

We were there for my husband's birthday and when we asked if they had a birthday discount the lady said they did. Said the bars will also give you free drinks but since she is only 18....;)

Edited by buddyjo143

There's quite a bit to do there. Lots of shopping. If she likes history, the City tour hop on hop off is great. I did the full tour once to hear everything (not just history) then the rest of your time you can hop on to get to one place and hop off the rest of your day so don't have to pay for cabs. Hemmingway's estate is there and they have tours...and the polydactylic cats.

The butterfly conservatory is lovely if you or she likes nature. They have a little museum as well that has all kinds of human like statues outside that are cool. When I went they had a Calvin and Hobbes exhibit as well so that was really cool.

The first Margaritaville is there. While she can't drink yet, that would be a pretty cool place to go.

The southern most point in the US is there. I personally love getting the "cheesy tourist" picture of myself by the big Rock that says that on it.

Like others said there are some great Key Lime pie places.

In June they have a huge pride parade so have all kinds of events for everyone. (Don't know when you are going).

They have some beaches too.

There is lots of history there.

Lots of Marilyn Monroe stuff.

Can you tell I like history? LOL

A fun thing we did for my daughter was to put a "it's my 18th birthday" poster on the cabin door and attach a pen with a binder clip. Other passengers signed it as they passed. The cabin steward wrote a nice note on it too. Fun keepsake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She's very happy with the cruise. I never said it wasn't enough; however, I would like to do SOMETHING on her birthday in Key West. I asked for suggestions, as I've never been to Key West, not rudeness.

Key West is just a small city island in Florida. It's like going to many of the other "special" cities in Florida. They have one main strip, to walk, see all the cheesy Florida tourist type stores. Many not so great places to eat. Of course, there are plenty of tiny museums, but really, 18 year olds would not consider that memorable.

What Key West is good for, is fishing charters, during the day, and at night, party in all the clubs. So doing a "tour" on a conch train, walking the strip, bar hopping, eating a slice of Key Lime pie (which is really good), you won't find much during the day for a 18 year old.

Just to clear up something, I wasn't being rude. It is a port stop, and unless, you are throwing some sort of party, getting a cake, or the like, what would you expect to be special? Your either do a tourist excursion, or take a walk, or go fishing. Either the whole trip, is the birthday gift or not, but picking an individual item in Key West, just won't cut it for any of my kids.....when they get the cruise instead.

Now, when you go to Mexico, you will have something. She is a legal age, can drink, and go crazy with you. But Key West is a boring stop. Stay overnight in a hotel, and enjoy the nightlife, and it's a whole different world.

We love Key West. We celebrated one of my boys' birthday there one year. We parasailed. (We felt really safe and they gave the birthday boys two trip!!) Then we rode the hop on/off "train" to a marina and ate at this lovely restaurant with great seafood (sorry I can't remember the name but the "train" driver suggested it) The restaurant looked out on the boats and water and was an open air place! Great food! Then we hopped back on the "train" and took pictures at southernmost house and visited the butterfly sanctuary. An awesome day!!!

Happy Sailing!