Cruises Are the Most Complained About Holiday!

Cruises are apparently the most complained about holiday.

And which ship do these articles use as a photo to represent this? Thomson Dream.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2704252/Turkey-Egypt-Dominican-Republic-Spain-complained-holiday-hotspots-cruises-worse.html

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/24/cruises-top-list-of-worst-holidays-in-2013

Seems to concentrate on a law firm Irwin Mitchell (who I've seen on Twitter posting about helping Thomson cruisers), and how people are becoming ill onboard. Apparently they are working on claims from the Dream and IE.

What with press like this and the recent dreadful and tacky 'The Cruise Ship' programme on ITV, I can see first time cruisers being put off!

Cruises are apparently the most complained about holiday.

And which ship do these articles use as a photo to represent this? Thomson Dream.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2704252/Turkey-Egypt-Dominican-Republic-Spain-complained-holiday-hotspots-cruises-worse.html

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/24/cruises-top-list-of-worst-holidays-in-2013

Seems to concentrate on a law firm Irwin Mitchell (who I've seen on Twitter posting about helping Thomson cruisers), and how people are becoming ill onboard. Apparently they are working on claims from the Dream and IE.

What with press like this and the recent dreadful and tacky 'The Cruise Ship' programme on ITV, I can see first time cruisers being put off!

An advert for Irwin Mitchell eh!

Typical that the press would feature a Thomson ship in the photo as 'T' are the whipping boys of the industry.

I think these claims will be about Norovirus, with little chance of winning as you have to prove the ship is responsible for the illness and we all know it is brought aboard the ship.

Boudicca eh! , allegedly with a passenger demographic who can be somewhat lacking in personal hygiene!

P&O Oriana is an oldies favourite as well.

imo its down to the 'no win no fee' compensation culture and the ruthless lawyers who pursue any possible claims no matter how frivolous

most holiday companies now have fighting funds of 100's of thousands of £'s put aside (we all pay into that fighting fund)

one british woman sued a holiday company after a coconut fell on her while she was sunbathing on a beach in the caribbean (she revived an out of court settlement) ....who picks up the tab for that?..we do!

it is right that if someone is injured and its proven to be someone’s else’s fault then that someone is due compensation ...but something should be done about the 100’s of frivolous/outlandish claims and the lawyers/unqualified assessors that encourage them (make millions from them)

Totally agree, seem to be people who are on complaint mode from the moment they go on holiday.It does not help with the ignorant people who don't wash there hands after visiting the loo.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Guess what people then get sick and lose out on there holiday because of the idiots who don't follow good practice in washing hands.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly don't agree with this culture of where there's a blame, there's a claim.

First time on a cruise, on the Thomson Destiny, I fell over walking out onto a deck, went arse over tit, the heavy metal door slammed back and I ended up with a nasty gash.

The medical team were superb, treated it, stitched it back up and I limped around for another week, and they didn't charge me a penny.

Was it the cruise line's fault? It was 50/50 theirs and mine. Did I sue? No, as it was just an accident!

If a coconut falls on your head in the Caribbean, how can it be the cruise lines fault? Just because they took you to the Caribbean? I'm surprised they agreed to settle that one out of court!

"I certainly don't agree with this culture of where there's a blame, there's a claim."

Surely that depends on the nature and circumstances of any incident etc. ?

If there's negligence resulting in injury or loss then a claim for compensation is only right and proper IMO.

"I certainly don't agree with this culture of where there's a blame, there's a claim."

Surely that depends on the nature and circumstances of any incident etc. ?

If there's negligence resulting in injury or loss then a claim for compensation is only right and proper IMO.

Of course, if there is a serious case of negligence, but I'm talking about the culture that has come over from America so people can have a fast buck for, what in the most part, is an accident.

Of course, if there is a serious case of negligence, but I'm talking about the culture that has come over from America so people can have a fast buck for, what in the most part, is an accident.

the general idea is by pursuing claims against the company they may well pay up rather than go through a court case, even if the company is innocent.

there have been some right corkers reported over the years.

the man who sued Thomson because Isreali immigration dictated the time the documentation would be presented

the man who was 'thrown off' a Thomson ship because he did not take his epileptic medication with him and fitted.

I wonder what happened in those cases?

the general idea is by pursuing claims against the company they may well pay up rather than go through a court case, even if the company is innocent.

there have been some right corkers reported over the years.

the man who sued Thomson because Isreali immigration dictated the time the documentation would be presented

the man who was 'thrown off' a Thomson ship because he did not take his epileptic medication with him and fitted.

I wonder what happened in those cases?

I've heard of those two cases in the past, but don't know the outcomes of either. Hopefully the first one got thrown out, and I guess the second one is a little more complicated because of the very nature of it, but common sense would dictate that you take your medication with you if it's vital. If you can't help yourself, you can't always expect others to help you.

Just as an aside, and sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I see you've done quite a few cruises on both Thomson and P&O. After a few cruises with Thomson, we're fed up with Thomson's take it or leave it attitude, despite their friendly cruise atmosphere.

We've had a tour around Ventura in Southampton, but haven't indulged in a cruise with P&O just yet. What would you say were the best and worst points with P&O, compared to Thomson?

The ships are more modern

There is a greater choice of dining venues and entertainment.

The food recently is better than Thomson

The entertainment, IMO is no better than Thomson

Thomson has a more fun atmosphere

P&O ships can have different ambiences. Adonia, Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia are more 'formal'. Oceana, Ventura and possibly Azura less so.

apparently next year P&O are splitting their fleet into 2 groups, 'traditional' and 'more modern'. The modern ships will have a more relaxed dress code. The new Britannia will be a modern.

dress code issues are more pervasive on P&O, for example apart from the main dining rooms certain bars and restaurants require the dress code for the evening

Finally, if you are a Thomson cruiser don't mention it on a P&O ship, you could be surprised at the response, honest :eek:

ps - you will meet more snobs on P&O, it is sad really as they still think P&O is 'posh', it isn't, it is a mainstream cruise line.

The ships are more modern

There is a greater choice of dining venues and entertainment.

The food recently is better than Thomson

The entertainment, IMO is no better than Thomson

Thomson has a more fun atmosphere

P&O ships can have different ambiences. Adonia, Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia are more 'formal'. Oceana, Ventura and possibly Azura less so.

apparently next year P&O are splitting their fleet into 2 groups, 'traditional' and 'more modern'. The modern ships will have a more relaxed dress code. The new Britannia will be a modern.

dress code issues are more pervasive on P&O, for example apart from the main dining rooms certain bars and restaurants require the dress code for the evening

Finally, if you are a Thomson cruiser don't mention it on a P&O ship, you could be surprised at the response, honest :eek:

ps - you will meet more snobs on P&O, it is sad really as they still think P&O is 'posh', it isn't, it is a mainstream cruise line.

Haha, we've met some snobs on the Thomson Dream, which did make us laugh as we wern't the ones on the wrong ship. I see P&O as a mainstream line, and Cunard as the more posher cruise company.

Anyway, many thanks for that. Will definitely seriously consider Ventura for the next cruise, or maybe even Britannia next winter as we prefer a more relaxed atmosphere, as opposed to too formal.

Off on the Dream in December as it was already booked.

Agreed, the brigade of "ambulance chasers" lawyers.

Edited by WeeCountyMan