Juneau

Lulubelle45

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Walmart or Fred Meyer in Juneau from the cruise docks and how long is the bus ride or taxi as I believe it's not walking distance. Teens. Enough said.

The best way to get there depends on how valuable your time is to you or how much money you want/need to save.

You can catch the bus near the parking garage/roundabout by the Red Dog Saloon. If you took the bus, Wal-Mart is the closer of the two. I think bus fare is $2/adults and $1/child.

If you look at the bus schedule here, it shows you where Wal-Mart and Fred Meyers actually are on the bus route under the Lemon Creek/Mendenhall Valley map:

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

I haven't taken the bus from downtown to Wal-Mart personally, but you'll be getting off near Switzer Village and it looks to be just over 30 minutes per the schedule.

Driving from the area near the tram to Wal-Mart is just about 7 miles and takes a little under 15 minutes depending on traffic. I'm not sure what cab fare will run you (I have access to my own car in Juneau and the only place I take a cab is from the airport to the valley), but my guess it'll be more expensive than the bus.

I'm not sure what you need or what your preference of stores is, but between Fred's and Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart has a much better selection of "tourist stuff" than Fred's. In Wal-Mart, go in and walk past the registers. You'll find the tourist section on the right just past the farthest register from the front door.

The tourist section at Fred's is right up front by the service desk. When I was there this summer, it was pretty pathetic. If you are looking for Alaskan beers, the liquor store at Fred's does have good prices (but not good enough to justify the time or expense of getting there if you do not have a car).

Hope this helps.

Edited by slider728

1/2 hrs there and 1/2 back?? That's not too bad. We will be doing our excursions in the am and have no other plans before we depart at 8 pm and the teens we are with all want to go to Walmart. Go figure! Cheaper than some of the other activities in Alaska I guess. Seems bus is the way to go as renting a car for that trip seems a waste of $. Probably being "unplugged" for the cruise they just want civilization.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lulubelle45

When we were in Juneau, I saw a van with a sign in the window that said Costco, Walmart(maybe FredMeyer too) it was right in the port area by the tram. While talking to others on our excursion, we decided it was likely for cruise employees. If you have to go, maybe ask your room Stewart or waitstaff how they get there. Hope that helps!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we were in Juneau, I saw a van with a sign in the window that said Costco, Walmart(maybe FredMeyer too) it was right in the port area by the tram. While talking to others on our excursion, we decided it was likely for cruise employees. If you have to go, maybe ask your room Stewart or waitstaff how they get there. Hope that helps!

I believe there is some provision to keep tourists from using the crew shuttles but I have no idea how it's enforced and I feel like Budget Queen has said that she's taken it before. The cab companies obviously don't want to lose the business!

Unfortunately, for Wally World, you'll need to take the slow bus. There's an Express bus that goes to the Valley shopping mall, but it's the most pathetic mall your kids will ever see. (But perhaps that will make them appreciate their lives?) But on the slow bus, you'll see some of the more colorful citizens of Juneau! It has stops for both the halfway house and the prison!

The stop is right across the street from Walmart, so no chance of missing it. Covered bus stop if it's raining.

This summer there is a free shuttle to Walmart for cruise ship passengers- it leaves from the area of the downtown around visitor centers kiosk by the downtown dock- and runs every 20 to 30 minutes. If they do it next year, will see, but for this season it is there. I have seen it and it appears to be a van type cab with a sign on it that says Walmart Shuttle. The crew shuttles are white and say "crew shuttle".

Can the $2 shuttle pick you up at the pier? Does it take you all over town? Is it $2 every time you get on or can you get an all day pass? If so where can I go to get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I see the shuttle vans often, but never gave a thought as to whether they were for passengers or crew. If room, I'm sure they'd like to give rides to as many folks as possible - get the dollars spent at those stores.

It's in Juneau where we always see crew members coming back to the ship with large purchases that look like they could be from Costco. Top Ramen, Coke, electronic devices, etc.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Walmart or Fred Meyer in Juneau from the cruise docks and how long is the bus ride or taxi as I believe it's not walking distance. Teens. Enough said.
If you intend to do any sightseeing that day, such as going out to Mendenhall Glacier, or whale watching out of Auke Bay, or visiting the Shrine of St. Therese or Eagle Beach or the fish hatchery or Douglas Island, it would be worth renting a car to make the most efficient use of your time that day and avoid needless backtracking.

You go right by Walmart and Fred Meyer on the way out to Mendenhall Glacier or Auke Bay.

Besides, if you are doing any shopping it is so convenient to be able to lock up your packages in the car instead of needing to carry them around with you.

Was in Juneau last week. We saw the bright orange Wal-Mart Courtesy Vans right at the pier. They were running pretty frequently. While on our bus for whale-watching, we saw Wal-Mart. I'd say it's only about 10 minutes from the pier and just off the only main road in town.

Edited by ccMiMi