Divina Balcony Staterooms

AlbertusMagnus

I understand that there are different perks with the different degrees of Balcony staterooms.

B1-B2-B3, with B-3 being the best, if I understand everything correctly. The MSC USA site is really not very informative, and is difficult to navigate. Is it me? Am I looking in the wrong place? Maybe someone can clarify it for me.

Thanks,

Alberto & Barbara

1st time on MSC. how does the gratuties work and do they have formal nights ?? we will be doing a 7 night Divina cruise...

The gratuities are added to your account on a daily basis at the rate of $12 pppn. See table below

There should be 2 formal (gala ) nights on a 7 day cruise

tips.jpg

Pete

The gratuities are added to your account on a daily basis at the rate of $12 pppn. See table below

There should be 2 formal (gala ) nights on a 7 day cruise

tips.jpg

Pete

skier52, i see by your signature you were on RCCL's Explorer. how do you rate MSC with RCL as far as food, shows, cabins, ship, etc. etc. ????

Edited by phish tales

skier52, i see by your signature you were on RCCL's Explorer. how do you rate MSC with RCL as far as food, shows, cabins, ship, etc. etc. ????

Here we go then

Cruises I’ve taken with RCCI = 5; Cruises with MSC = 10.

CABINS

On RCCI I’ve only had Junior suites and Grand Suites, on MSC I’ve had:- inside x 1; OV x 1; Balcony x 3; Balcony Suite x 4; YC suite x 1;

For the most part RCCI cabins have more sq. ft. and better storage than MSC, and some come with tea/coffee making facilities, MSC don’t do in-cabin Tea/coffee making) The RCI bath rooms are better, just a bit roomier which makes it so much easier.

The only real comparison I can make is an RCCI GS and the MSC YC; RCCI win hands down for the cabin, but are way behind when comparing YC services with The concierge lounge services; RCCI have complimentary drinks for 3 hrs a day, MSC is All inclusive. Both have priority boarding and exclusive areas on the sundecks.

For non-Suite guests the pool area is more crowded on MSC but they tend to have more “away from it all” areas

SHOWS

RCI’s ice shows are excellent as are the ariel shows on board some ships in the atriums.

The best shows I’ve seen were on MSC Divina, absolutely stunning. They do not, however, have a live band in the theatre which doesn’t bother me.

MSC shows are entirely visual and musical because of the multilingual nature of the clientele (it may be different on US sailings)

What MSC do have is a large number of live bands in the bars and lounges (3 or 4 on the Lirica class, 7 or 8 on the Fantasia class), with a very wide range of musical styles.

FOOD

RCCI have typically 3 course meals as against MSC 6 - 7 course meals .

MSC is really heavily Italian influenced which personally I like , and I’d give them 6 -7 out of 10. RCCI much more run of the mill dishes but I would score them as 7 – 8 out of 10. MSC do have the MDR open every breakfast and lunch time which is a big plus, RCCI only have lunch ln the MDR on sea days. On both lines I avoid the buffet If at all possible, I prefer waiter service. MSC don’t do midnight buffets.

MSC MDRS tend to be more cramped and have low ceilings as compared to RCCI

GUEST RELATIONS

MSC communication with guests pre cruise is a bit hit and miss you need a good TA to keep on top of documentation. On board I’ve always found them very helpful on both lines, but patience may be needed on MSC because of the multilingual issues. PA announcements are few and far between on MSC but I find them very intrusive on RCCI.

SHIPS

MSC are always spotless, and a cut above RCCI in that respect. The oldest MSC ship is 13 years old most are less tha 8 years old. The tonnage/passenger ratio is better on RCCI, ie more space per passenger

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Here we go then

Cruises I’ve taken with RCCI = 5; Cruises with MSC = 10.

CABINS

On RCCI I’ve only had Junior suites and Grand Suites, on MSC I’ve had:- inside x 1; OV x 1; Balcony x 3; Balcony Suite x 4; YC suite x 1;

For the most part RCCI cabins have more sq. ft. and better storage than MSC, and some come with tea/coffee making facilities, MSC don’t do in-cabin Tea/coffee making) The RCI bath rooms are better, just a bit roomier which makes it so much easier.

The only real comparison I can make is an RCCI GS and the MSC YC; RCCI win hands down for the cabin, but are way behind when comparing YC services with The concierge lounge services; RCCI have complimentary drinks for 3 hrs a day, MSC is All inclusive. Both have priority boarding and exclusive areas on the sundecks.

For non-Suite guests the pool area is more crowded on MSC but they tend to have more “away from it all” areas

SHOWS

RCI’s ice shows are excellent as are the ariel shows on board some ships in the atriums.

The best shows I’ve seen were on MSC Divina, absolutely stunning. They do not, however, have a live band in the theatre which doesn’t bother me.

MSC shows are entirely visual and musical because of the multilingual nature of the clientele (it may be different on US sailings)

What MSC do have is a large number of live bands in the bars and lounges (3 or 4 on the Lirica class, 7 or 8 on the Fantasia class), with a very wide range of musical styles.

FOOD

RCCI have typically 3 course meals as against MSC 6 - 7 course meals .

MSC is really heavily Italian influenced which personally I like , and I’d give them 6 -7 out of 10. RCCI much more run of the mill dishes but I would score them as 7 – 8 out of 10. MSC do have the MDR open every breakfast and lunch time which is a big plus, RCCI only have lunch ln the MDR on sea days. On both lines I avoid the buffet If at all possible, I prefer waiter service. MSC don’t do midnight buffets.

MSC MDRS tend to be more cramped and have low ceilings as compared to RCCI

GUEST RELATIONS

MSC communication with guests pre cruise is a bit hit and miss you need a good TA to keep on top of documentation. On board I’ve always found them very helpful on both lines, but patience may be needed on MSC because of the multilingual issues. PA announcements are few and far between on MSC but I find them very intrusive on RCCI.

SHIPS

MSC are always spotless, and a cut above RCCI in that respect. The oldest MSC ship is 13 years old most are less tha 8 years old. The tonnage/passenger ratio is better on RCCI, ie more space per passenger

Pete

thank you again. i am doing my first MSC in Feb., 2015

We are die hard RCCL fans with well over 100 cruises with them. so I guess when we get of of Divina in Feb., we can come to our own judgement.

Thank you Skier52 for all your info.

Edited by phish tales

Albertus .... to answer the question for you, future cruises will use the new Experiences which means that I1, O1 and B1 will be the Bella Experience, I2, O2 and B2 will be Fantastica experience while B3 will be the Aurea Experience.

Countries have different dates that these will begin from, in the UK it is for cruises booked which leave from October/November.

Bella will not have Free room service while the others will, as for Divina i have no idea if or when it will be included in the new categories.