Booking East Coast/Canada early or late?

pris993

We have only cruised two times on the QV. Considering booking a QM2 cruise in 2015 or 2016, round trip out of New York and back.

We usually book a balcony cabins on cruises. Do see the price is high for our budget. So our question to regular Cunard cruisers, does Cunard honor price drops, if we book early and the price drops before final payment?

Or would it be better to wait til after final payment to book?

... So our question to regular Cunard cruisers, does Cunard honor price drops, if we book early and the price drops before final payment? ...
We always book early and Cunard has given us the benefit of every pre-final payment price drop on QM2. But, you have to ask for it, Cunard doesn't volunteer it. Edited by pmb1

We always book early and Cunard has given us the benefit of every pre-final payment price drop on QM2. But, you have to ask for it, Cunard doesn't volunteer it.

Thanks that what I wanted to know... we usually book early too, did not know how it worked with Cunard. Appreciate your info.

You're in California so you will have to fly to New York. The disadvantage to late booking is that air fares might cancel out any savings. There's somebody in another thread who is having a problem with very high one-way fares right now.

You can get a price drop honored before final payment but not after.

Also, be aware that late promotional fares generally mean 1) guarantee staterooms only and 2) early or late dinner seating is at Cunard's discretion. It's not possible to specifically chose either. Those choices are reserved (rightly) for those paying full freight. First seating is more popular, therefore those on promotional fares are more likely to be assigned second sitting.

In making your booking decision you have to weigh those factors and decide which are more important to you.

You're in California so you will have to fly to New York. The disadvantage to late booking is that air fares might cancel out any savings. There's somebody in another thread who is having a problem with very high one-way fares right now.

You can get a price drop honored before final payment but not after.

Also, be aware that late promotional fares generally mean 1) guarantee staterooms only and 2) early or late dinner seating is at Cunard's discretion. It's not possible to specifically chose either. Those choices are reserved (rightly) for those paying full freight. First seating is more popular, therefore those on promotional fares are more likely to be assigned second sitting.

In making your booking decision you have to weigh those factors and decide which are more important to you.

Thanks for the additional information. I agree booking early for the most desirable cabin selection, dining preference and air arrangements makes a lot of sense. We mostly like will book 6 months to a year ahead which we often do. It good to know how things work on Cunard since we have not cruise often with this line.

In terms of comfort and economy, DH and I are happy in an inside cabin on the QM2.

Depending on the time of year one crosses, weather doesn't always encourage balcony use, anyway. ….I suggest you consider booking an inside cabin.

Happy Sailing!

:confused:

In terms of comfort and economy, DH and I are happy in an inside cabin on the QM2.

Depending on the time of year one crosses, weather doesn't always encourage balcony use, anyway. ….I suggest you consider booking an inside cabin.

Happy Sailing!

Hi jimmybean. I believe the OP was considering a round trip NY/Canada cruise, not transatlantic crossing, or maybe I misunderstood the post :confused:

-QM2 NY/Canada voyages are generally in the months of September and October (the so-called 4th of July cruise will not happen in 2015). I certainly enjoyed having a balcony on the Sept 2013 NY/Canada cruise - which is not to say that an inside cabin isn't worth considering:) -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

:confused:

Hi jimmybean. I believe the OP was considering a round trip NY/Canada cruise, not transatlantic crossing, or maybe I misunderstood the post :confused:

-QM2 NY/Canada voyages are generally in the months of September and October (the so-called 4th of July cruise will not happen in 2015). I certainly enjoyed having a balcony on the Sept 2013 NY/Canada cruise - which is not to say that an inside cabin isn't worth considering:) -Salacia

You are correct, Salacia : ) NY-to Canada and back was the subject heading, but once I started reading post, I thought (mistakenly) NY to NY was a TA.

I also agree that inside cabin in the fall up the east coast to Canada could be a viable option for the OP : )