Flight risks Miami/Fort Lauderdale help

Milberygirl

Also beware that FLL is a notoriously slow airport that seems to not know it's head from it's behind. When we flew out of there in February, we barely made our flight with 15 minutes to spare and we got to the airport 3 hours early.

I've had a similar experience in Ft. Lauderdale. It used to be the "easy" airport and I think still may be in the off-season. We came back to something like 11 ships between Miami and FLL. No problems getting from Miami to the FLL airport, it was the hour + security line. Just to get up to the screening. This didn't include lines to check your luggage or check in or print boarding passes if you needed to. The line wound all over the airport it was so long.

On the other hand, I've had good experiences in Miami - especially when flying United or Delta. The American side of the airport there is a bit crazier and you need a little extra time. If you're on the "quiet" side at MIA I've been at our gate by 8:30am before waiting for an 11am flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there... we also live in SoCal and took the 6:30 flight on JetBlue. Last January on the Liberty, self-debarkation started before 7:00 a.m. and Zone 1 shortly thereafter. Knowing we had the late flight, we arranged for transportation late and even leaving the Port of Miami at 10:00 a.m., we arrived at FLL before 11:00 a.m. Because bags fly free on JetBlue, it was simple dropping off luggage at curb. For passengers on airlines where there are baggage fees, check-in seemed to take much longer.

After waiting in FLL airport for 6+ hours last year, we really regretted not getting Zone 1 and catching the 11:30 a.m. flight on JetBlue!

For our upcoming cruise in January~ we are booked on our return flight on SWA at 11:05 a.m. flight out of FLL. Again, bags fly free and SWA does curbside check-in. Fare was $152.00 per person ;) I am arranging for SAS to pick us up from Port of Miami at 8:00 a.m. and expect to arrive FLL by 9:00 a.m.

Have had that same issue several times out of Miami. We've elected each time to take the later flight.

Yes, we could have made the earlier flights each time but wouldn't take the gamble. We've just hung out in the airport - if you have to be stuck in an airport for a few hours, Miami isn't a bad choice. Especially if you like to people watch! :D

Hello,

We are starting to book flights for our Breeze Cruise next April. We have never flown anywhere to cruise.We are good with our outbound flight as we are leaving day before and flying into Fort Lauderdale but need help from some who have experience with flying out same day as conclusion of our cruise. We bought the faster to Fun passes for a few reason and are hoping this will allow us to disembark early. We have choices of a 11:39 am,12pm, or a 6:45 pm from Fort Lauderdale or a 2pm from Miami. The Miami flight is more costly. Anyone with experience trying to fly out of these airports ? Any advice welcome. we obviously would like to leave as early as possible but don't want to risk missing a flight. Thank you in advance.

Failed to mention ship port is miami

In March of 2013 I flew into FLL two days before the sail date I used go shuttle out of FLL to my hotel( this is a shared ride service) the charge was 24.12 which included the tip. The day of the cruise I took a taxi to POM. For the return trip to FLL after the cruise I used SAS ,I was in FLL airport by 9:00am. Every thing was not too expensive but it was just for me. Go shuttle and SAS transportation may offer discounts more than one person I'd check them out.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound