Locking Luggage

All,

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Granduer. We live about 40 minutes from the port, so we'll be driving. My question is do we have to leave our bags unlocked, as you would if you were flying? I know you can buy the TSA-compatible locks for airplanes, but what about the cruise line. With our driving to the port, there will be no airplane security to contend with.

Thanks.

All,

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Granduer. We live about 40 minutes from the port, so we'll be driving. My question is do we have to leave our bags unlocked, as you would if you were flying? I know you can buy the TSA-compatible locks for airplanes, but what about the cruise line. With our driving to the port, there will be no airplane security to contend with.

Thanks.

If you will be driving and you want to secure your luggage you dont need TSA Locks. - If it has zippers, I would purchase from Home Depot or Radio Shack nylon cable ties and use those. I use the 4" variety and get the Neon colors - I also use them when flying along with the TSA locks.

If you will be driving and you want to secure your luggage you dont need TSA Locks. - If it has zippers, I would purchase from Home Depot or Radio Shack nylon cable ties and use those. I use the 4" variety and get the Neon colors - I also use them when flying along with the TSA locks.

My husband and I have always used these. Unfortunately, on our last cruise, someone at the port or airport wrecked one of our suitcases by cutting through the actual zipper pull. They could have easily just cut the zip tie off, but noooooo, they had to completely destroy the luggage by cutting the zipper pull. Now I'm nervous to use those again, (we just bought new luggage)

I read on the boards that using the brightly colored zip ties are a great idea. If for some reason the cruiseline can not locate you to have you open your luggage (if you use a lock) they may leave your bags behind for security reasons. Using zip ties allows them to cut the tie and do the inspection and it lets you know that your bags have been opened. They may re-zip your luggage but they do not use the neon color zip ties. They are cheap and easily removed once onboard. No need to worry about lost keys or cobinations. We got ours at Home Depot for just a few bucks for at least 100 ties.

Here's another vote for cable ties. They're cheap, easy to use, and they give you an immediate indication if your bags have been opened.

To the OP, since you're not flying to your embarkation, you can definitely lock your bags.

My husband and I have always used these. Unfortunately, on our last cruise, someone at the port or airport wrecked one of our suitcases by cutting through the actual zipper pull. They could have easily just cut the zip tie off, but noooooo, they had to completely destroy the luggage by cutting the zipper pull. Now I'm nervous to use those again, (we just bought new luggage)

One of the zipper pulls on our Skyway luggage was destroyed on the last cruise. I called the company figuring it probably would not be covered by the lifetime warranty as it was not a manufacturing defect. They had me take the bag to a local luggage store that was an authorized repair agency - they replaced the pull for no charge

Thanks for the replies. We are sailing next year. I always like to lock my luggage. Our bags are the hard-type, not fabric, and the locks are part of the latches. The airports get cranky if you don't leave them unlocked for security to check them and I was wondering what the cruise line policy was. The TSA has those compatible locks and also has keys to many popular brands of luggage (ours are Samsonite). So, I want to lock my luggage when not in my possession, but don't want it to get left behind, either.

We've never had any issues (air or sea) with the TSA combination locks. If they are allowed access inside your luggage either by policy or law, they will have the correct means to get inside it. Never had any damage or loss either. Worth the extra dollars IMHO.

The cruise line puts the luggage through the same security that the airlines do, if you lock them they will cut them or break them open. They are just trying to keep us all safe. One of the girls on our transfer back to the airport had hers cut open by the cruise line, it was a mess as she had to ask someone for some duct tape to tape it together.She had not locked it on the plane ride but did at the peir and that is when it was cut. I do realize it is kinda scary to leave it unlocked and kinda scary to lock it too.

I read on the boards that using the brightly colored zip ties are a great idea. If for some reason the cruiseline can not locate you to have you open your luggage (if you use a lock) they may leave your bags behind for security reasons. Using zip ties allows them to cut the tie and do the inspection and it lets you know that your bags have been opened. They may re-zip your luggage but they do not use the neon color zip ties. They are cheap and easily removed once onboard. No need to worry about lost keys or cobinations. We got ours at Home Depot for just a few bucks for at least 100 ties.

We used to carry a nail clipper to cut the ties as a scissors is a no no.

Now some of the TSA guys freak out because of the nailfile.

I take a toenail clipper and put it in a pouch that can be opened ( unlocked)

that way they can scan it and not go nuts and when we get to the room - reach in and clip the tie on the suitcase where the KNIFE or scissors is stashed

Thanks for the replies. We are sailing next year. I always like to lock my luggage. Our bags are the hard-type, not fabric, and the locks are part of the latches. The airports get cranky if you don't leave them unlocked for security to check them and I was wondering what the cruise line policy was. The TSA has those compatible locks and also has keys to many popular brands of luggage (ours are Samsonite). So, I want to lock my luggage when not in my possession, but don't want it to get left behind, either.

Since your bags are hard-sided, you could try using luggage straps that have built-in TSA-approved locks. Check out the following link for an example:

http://www.christinecolumbus.com/products.asp?pID=1129

your checked luggage? I always carry my valuables on my person or in my carryon and just clothes, shoes, purses etc in the checked luggage - nothing valuable or worthwhile to 'steal' so why lock it? Have been told that thieves are rarely interested in unlocked luggage - 'presumption is' nothing there and likely true so why bother! On my last 4-5 trips by air have had our bags inspected each time (they leave a notice inside the case) - don't know re: ship but likely also however, without locks, I'm never worried about damage..! Perhaps something to consider...!

I have had different experiences with my luggage as you will see from below

travelled from Miami to London with British Airways was told to keep luggage unlocked luggage was opened by T.S.A. notice was placed inside

next cruise tavelled with Virgin from Miami to London told by Airline to leave luggage locked luggage was broken open by T.S.A suitcase was damaged beyond repair as it was hardbacked case with combination lock

next cruise (dec04) again flew from Miami to London left luggage unlocked luggage was not not opened by T.S.A but suitcase was tampered with I checked with T.S.A and they assured me that it was being investigated (can't give anymore information on this as it is still ongoing) My luggage was locked from leaving the ship until checkin with the Airline when we unlocked them at the checkin desk so know that it was after we handed the luggage over to the Airline that they were tampered with.

We have always locked our luggage before boarding the ship and also when we place them out the last night and have never had any problem.

Sorry this is so long winded but thought I would let you know that in my experience its not the ship you need to worry about but the Airport Security

as there is certainly some unscruples people working at the Airports and it is being made so easy for them.

Jenrie

We have been using the TSA approved locks for our last three vacations and will be using them again this week. We have the type of luggage locks that have a window that changes color from green to red if TSA opens the lock with their key or if someone tampers with the lock. Last vacation, our lock was opened by TSA, the color on the lock changed to red, and they put a note inside our luggage. They have worked great and I feel better locking the luggage! If they are cut off our luggage, the company replaces them for free.

We also drive to the ship and have always used cable ties. They were never cutoff. Why lock the luggage? No valuables inside but to keep honest people honest. Keeps someone from inserting contraband into your suitcase during the night for you to carry off and them to retrieve later on shore? One bag left behind when the Norway exploded had the back cut open for a hand to fit inside. Hope they enjoyed searching through my dirty underwear.

Since the OP was driving to the pier I don't understand all the talk of TSA and TSA locks. In 8 cruises I have always locked my luggage when leaving it in the hallway on the last night and leaving it with a porter at the pier. The locks have NEVER been cut off.

If luggage is "inspected" on the last night before we get off the ship, how is it handled by those who chose to do the self carry-off?

I think when you leave your luggage with the porter and he puts it in the cage, it goes directly in the ship and to your room. I don't think they have the x-ray machines for your checked luggage inside the ship.

This may be a silly question, but where can you get TSA locks? I've heard of them, but never seen one.

Walmart has them for about $7.00 each. I just got them, so I can't tell you how good they are. They are made by American Tourister, which make some decent luggage.

Archived