Locking Luggage

I think when you leave your luggage with the porter and he puts it in the cage, it goes directly in the ship and to your room. I don't think they have the x-ray machines for your checked luggage inside the ship.

I agree; don't know where the posters got the information indicating the cruise line inspects the luggage.

I lock my luggage before checking it at the cruise terminal or leaving outside my cabin the last night. You never know who has access to the luggage and removing temptation to steal is easy by just a lock.

I was on the Mariner 7/31 sailing....I used TSA approved locks that I bought at Target. I used them both on the flight and on the cruise when I put my luggage outside my room the night before. We had three bags that were locked, and we did not have any problems with either the airline (Song) or the cruise.

your checked luggage? I always carry my valuables on my person or in my carryon and just clothes, shoes, purses etc in the checked luggage - nothing valuable or worthwhile to 'steal' so why lock it? Have been told that thieves are rarely interested in unlocked luggage - 'presumption is' nothing there and likely true so why bother! On my last 4-5 trips by air have had our bags inspected each time (they leave a notice inside the case) - don't know re: ship but likely also however, without locks, I'm never worried about damage..! Perhaps something to consider...!

I agree. We left out of Baltimore last month and figured since we were driving and the only time our checked bags would be gone was when it was boarded onto the ship...why bother with locks. We also carry on all valuables, so nothing to really steal.

By the way, we got to the pier about 12 Noon, parked close to the ship and it was all a breeze. Getting on and getting off.

I don't put anything of value in the luggage I leave in the hall on the last night, but to me it just makes since to lock it. On one cruise we had to set our luggage out at 8:00 PM, and it was still out there when I went to bed.

Why take the chance that someone could mess with your stuff, not necessarily to steal something of value.

Why don't we tell everyone they probably don't x-ray the luggage as it goes on the ship. Loose lips, sink ships.

Actually, they do xray it coming onto the ship. How do you think they find the irons and booze?

As to why "lock" the luggage? To avoid inadvertent opening and spilling while in transit and to deter some thief looking for an easy target.

Actually, they do xray it coming onto the ship. How do you think they find the irons and booze?

As to why "lock" the luggage? To avoid inadvertent opening and spilling while in transit and to deter some thief looking for an easy target.

Thieves are not as interested in unlocked luggage for the simple reason it is unlocked - can't be anything valuable in there right - not worth the time to find out? Besides, do u really think an experienced thief wld take more than 2 seconds to open one of those locks - do yah hmmm??? An inexperienced one cld do it in 5 seconds. Those cheap locks most folks use give u a false sense of security and are pushed to keep the lock companies in business-nothing new there right? If most luggage is unlocked then the target shifts to the most expensive looking pces - yah think? Analyze like a thief and u may avoid being abused by one. As far as 'spillage' - maybe u ought to buy a reinforced hardsider also cld it cld get torn if a softsider but be prepared for extra weight to lug around - Maybe your luggage doesn't have good clasps - mine do and I have never had a spill - besides just put a cord around it if defective. Main cause of spillage is clasp failure due to overloading... I always remember the old adage - 'locks only keep out honest people and sometimes not even then' -! They had better be 'fool proof' ones and they are very expensive - is the stuff in your cases worth it 'cause u are carrying your valuables separately with u - right??

Hope this commentary helps...!

Happy cruisin' all!

I don't put anything of value in the luggage I leave in the hall on the last night, but to me it just makes since to lock it. On one cruise we had to set our luggage out at 8:00 PM, and it was still out there when I went to bed.

Why take the chance that someone could mess with your stuff, not necessarily to steal something of value.

While I can appreciate caution don't u think that is a trifle 'paranoid' - I mean - other cruisers have nothing else to do the last nite of a cruise but to 'bust' into other folks luggage in the 'off shoot' chance u have 'unmentionables' in there - right...!! Besides there are hundreds of bags outside the rooms and more put out every minute till 1 am which means there are usually folks up & about and the porters are busy picking up as well and wouldn't see those 'nasty' folks? and your luggage specifically will be targeted for 'rummaging'? I don't think so!! With valuables still safely in your cabin - clever!! Relax - I very much doubt anyone will bother with your luggage unless maybe its 'alligator' and then still unlikely esp if unlocked - thieves figure nothing valuable to steal so wld move on anyway & they usually aren't into 'unmentionables'..esp dirty ones!...Chuckle....! If still not convinced here is a travel tip - put some smelly items in there that need a wash & I guarantee no one will mess with it! Failing that - post a guard...Ok sorry cldn't resist. Cruisers are nice, honest people - well most anyway & intent on just a good time, cruiselines are intent on avoiding this type of problem - not good for future business right? and porters wld lose those valuable jobs & have supervisors watching out for just what u are talking about (they even listen in on conversations to check for bragging about 'sticky' fingers, etc.) - so go have a good time and don't worry - won't happen..!

Happy cruisin'!

Archived