Norwegian Gem - Please help

I'm looking at possibly booking a 7 day Florida - Bahamas cruise on the Norwegian Gem in September 2015.

We have 3 kids. Our DD will be almost and our DS's will be almost 2 at the time of the cruise.

I'm looking at possibly booking a 2-Bedroom Family Suite. I'm also looking at possibly booking 2 connecting Mini-Suites.

Has anyone cruised with 3 young kids in either of these rooms? Just looking for any ideas or anything?

Thanks,

Hello,

I'm not sure if they will allow you to book the two rooms under one reservation. You may have to split it up for you and your spouse because you can't have underage kids in a room alone or call an agent and they will figure it out.

We have done the 2 bedroom family suite in the Haven on the Breakaway and are booked for the 2 bedroom non-Haven on the Gem for March.

My kids at the time of the Breakaway sailing were 7 and almost 1 year.

I'm not sure what questions you have but the second bedroom would work well. I believe you will have a bunk bed type of setup where a bed comes down from the ceiling and a lower bed as well. You will probably also have a sleeper sofa.

My little one sleeps with us and my oldest had the 2nd bedroom all to himself and was very happy. HTH!

I'm looking at possibly booking a 7 day Florida - Bahamas cruise on the Norwegian Gem in September 2015.

We have 3 kids. Our DD will be almost and our DS's will be almost 2 at the time of the cruise.

I'm looking at possibly booking a 2-Bedroom Family Suite. I'm also looking at possibly booking 2 connecting Mini-Suites.

Has anyone cruised with 3 young kids in either of these rooms? Just looking for any ideas or anything?

Thanks,

I would book the way that saved us the most- right now during the kids sail free promotion that very well could be the Family Suite (but that's just a guess, I haven't looked).

Hello,

I'm not sure if they will allow you to book the two rooms under one reservation. You may have to split it up for you and your spouse because you can't have underage kids in a room alone or call an agent and they will figure it out.

We have done the 2 bedroom family suite in the Haven on the Breakaway and are booked for the 2 bedroom non-Haven on the Gem for March.

My kids at the time of the Breakaway sailing were 7 and almost 1 year.

I'm not sure what questions you have but the second bedroom would work well. I believe you will have a bunk bed type of setup where a bed comes down from the ceiling and a lower bed as well. You will probably also have a sleeper sofa.

My little one sleeps with us and my oldest had the 2nd bedroom all to himself and was very happy. HTH!

If we did 2 rooms we'd have to do 1 adult and 1 child for one room and 1 adult and 2 children for the second room.

I was thinking of possibly having our daughter in the second bedroom and our boys possibly in the main area (as they maybe sleeping in a pack-n-play)

Just looking to see if others have done it and how it worked out.

I would book the way that saved us the most- right now during the kids sail free promotion that very well could be the Family Suite (but that's just a guess, I haven't looked).

That's what I'm hoping for. Would save us a lot of money doing it that way.

I was in a two-BR on the Gem out of NYC...2 adults and 8 & 10 year old girls. The second bedroom can easily sleep three kids! We had one on the top bunk and one on the lower bunk...which is almost the size of a double. We actually all laid down on the lower bed to look a pictures on the camera together. I think they'll be fine!! ;)

I was in a two-BR on the Gem out of NYC...2 adults and 8 & 10 year old girls. The second bedroom can easily sleep three kids! We had one on the top bunk and one on the lower bunk...which is almost the size of a double. We actually all laid down on the lower bed to look a pictures on the camera together. I think they'll be fine!! ;)

Is there enough room in there for 2 pack-n-plays? Just in case our boys aren't in real beds at that point

Is there enough room in there for 2 pack-n-plays? Just in case our boys aren't in real beds at that point[/

I would think so...just don't open the couch/futon....it will give you room. They will probably be side-by-side.....so they will be able to reach out and touch each other. If you have two "Littles" and one older child, the older one can still sleep in the upper bunk.

I would definitely make this work versus having two minis...better perks and all in one room. As someone already said, one of the parents would need to be in each room....and there would be no way to "close the bedroom door" in a mini where you will be able to in a 2-BR.

Another question.....Do you notice a lot of motion with the suites being towards the front? We've never had a room that far forward. We usually stick to the middle or aft.

How much motion do you feel when you are in the theater? That's about what you'll feel in the cabin.

If price is the same for either 2 minis or the 2-bedroom family suite, I suggest the 2-bedroom. We were in the non-Haven 2-bedroom (11th deck, near the bridge viewing room) with 2 adults in the 'children's' bedroom and 2 adults in the master bedroom.

You'll feel safer with the children sleeping in an inside bedroom, rather than a minisuite with balcony, even assuming one adult is sleeping with the children in the mini-suite.

You'll get the perks of being in a suite (butlers love to spoil children!), and get a master bathroom to die for! You can pre-order items ahead of time through the pre-cruise concierge desk (milk/drink preferences, etc.)

Only downsides to the children's bedroom in the family suite:

~if the couch is opened into a bed to sleep, there is NO floor space and precious little storage (but the master bedroom suite has more than enough storage for everyone). We've booked it again for 4 adults on a Canada/New England cruise this September, and will bring an over-the-door shoe storage for storing shoes and other incidentals;

~be sure to order 'egg crate' toppers for the beds in the children's bedroom. Otherwise the beds are super hard.

~Balcony in 2-bedroom is small but adequate. Think I remember it has one chaise lounge and a couple of upright chairs plus table.

Our first suite was a forward facing penthouse on the gem. It was at the very, very front. I felt some rocking but nothing crazy and it was more soothing than anything. I expect it would be a little less noticeable the further back you go.

I am on the Gem in March on a kids sail free. I'm not sure when you said you would go but if I am sailing before you, check in with me so I make sure to take pictures of the room and help answer any questions you have. Good luck!

Another question.....Do you notice a lot of motion with the suites being towards the front? We've never had a room that far forward. We usually stick to the middle or aft.

I pretty much always sail in a forward suite...and yes, there is a little more motion. I have to say that I've never really sailed in rough seas though.... :o

Our first suite was a forward facing penthouse on the gem. It was at the very, very front. I felt some rocking but nothing crazy and it was more soothing than anything. I expect it would be a little less noticeable the further back you go.

I am on the Gem in March on a kids sail free. I'm not sure when you said you would go but if I am sailing before you, check in with me so I make sure to take pictures of the room and help answer any questions you have. Good luck!

I'm looking at going in September 2015

If price is the same for either 2 minis or the 2-bedroom family suite, I suggest the 2-bedroom. We were in the non-Haven 2-bedroom (11th deck, near the bridge viewing room) with 2 adults in the 'children's' bedroom and 2 adults in the master bedroom.

You'll feel safer with the children sleeping in an inside bedroom, rather than a minisuite with balcony, even assuming one adult is sleeping with the children in the mini-suite.

You'll get the perks of being in a suite (butlers love to spoil children!), and get a master bathroom to die for! You can pre-order items ahead of time through the pre-cruise concierge desk (milk/drink preferences, etc.)

Only downsides to the children's bedroom in the family suite:

~if the couch is opened into a bed to sleep, there is NO floor space and precious little storage (but the master bedroom suite has more than enough storage for everyone). We've booked it again for 4 adults on a Canada/New England cruise this September, and will bring an over-the-door shoe storage for storing shoes and other incidentals;

~be sure to order 'egg crate' toppers for the beds in the children's bedroom. Otherwise the beds are super hard.

~Balcony in 2-bedroom is small but adequate. Think I remember it has one chaise lounge and a couple of upright chairs plus table.

The price difference right now between the two is minimal. My wife and I have sailed in a suite before and having the butler was really nice. We've sailed in a mini-suite with our daughter (She was 13 months at the time) and positoned her pack-n-play right near the balcony doors (as far away from it as possible) as the was the only place to put it. She'll be almost 4 when I want to go, so she'll probably be in a bed. It's the boys (they'll be almost 2) that I'm more concerned with.

Love, love, love the forward Penthouse, with a balcony to fit 30 people or more. In June last year, we were on 9th deck, which gave us a bit of privacy from the bridge and 10th deck cabins. It was a bit rocky leaving NYC, so you definitely felt the movement, but nothing so bad to cause sea sickness. This past May in the 2-bedroom family suite on Gem to the Bahamas, the trip was so smooth we never felt the ship move at all. :)

If you want a great location on the Gem for a 2 BR Suite - see if 11512 is available. 11th Floor - right by the front elevators and very convenient to most things. One flight up to the pool and buffet and by the elevator/stairs for everything else. Main bedroom is a King, second bedroom sleeps 2 kids on the bottom and 1 kid on the top bunk and the living room also has a sofa that converts to a bed if needed. We had 3 kids, (8-10-12 years old) and had no problem fitting at all. Also, since your traveling with kids - you'll love the size of the bathroom - double sinks, large rain multi-jet shower and big tub. As I said, the location is great and we've been in this suite twice now and have never had a problem with feeling much motion, etc. Suite perks are great and you'll love the butler/concierge service with the kids!

Chrisaf... Did you notice much noise from the pool deck above? Just curious how it is during the day as our kids will most likely still be taking naps during the day

I've stayed in 11012 (same cabin, other side of the ship) and agree that it's a great choice. If you look right above it on the deck plan, you see that the library is there, probably one of the quietest rooms on the ship. For 11512, the fitness center is overhead, but it's the "entrance" area so it's likely to be pretty quiet as well.

I've stayed in 11012 (same cabin, other side of the ship) and agree that it's a great choice. If you look right above it on the deck plan, you see that the library is there, probably one of the quietest rooms on the ship. For 11512, the fitness center is overhead, but it's the "entrance" area so it's likely to be pretty quiet as well.

Thanks...That's definitely something I have to remember to check.

Chrisaf... Did you notice much noise from the pool deck above? Just curious how it is during the day as our kids will most likely still be taking naps during the day

No noise at all - you are actually in front of the pool area so no noise at all. Very quiet at night also.

So I just read on another post that a 4 year old fell from one of those bunk beds and sustained a head injury. The child and mother had to be airlifted off the ship by the Coast Guard. Definitely not going to let me daughter sleep on one of those.