Chef's Table

poutytink

I can't help with Chef's Table on Breakaway but what comes to UDP, if you think about attending Chef's table and at least trying MDR, you're probably better off just paying speciality restaurants as you go. In order to benefit from UDP you need to either go to a speciality restaurant pretty much every night or stick to the expensive ones for fewer nights in order to come ahead.

Anyone know what day this is typically offered? We are doing the 7 night on the Breakaway. Also debating if we should do the UDP....opinions on the main dining rooms food have me worried...

We were on the 7/6 sailing to Bermuda, and the Chef's tasting was on Friday night. It was awesome -- food was great and wine was paired nicely and free-flowing. The executive chef runs through each course and was very entertaining. There's also a behind-the-scenes tour of the kitchens the next day that was very interesting.

I have not been on the Breakaway, but I have had the pleasure of joining the Chef's Table on three different cruises/different ships. And the two last ones (the Sun and the Jade) all had 2-3 evenings with Chef's Table because of the huge demand - that might also be the case on the Breakaway. I guess it all depends on the executive chef's willingness....

I forgot to mention that IF they tell you that the Chef's Table is already full when you try to book it, then ask them to put your name down for the waiting list - I believe number of persons on that waiting list is important regarding having more than one Chef's Table during the cruise. And if you have concierge service on board (because you are in a suite or have a Platinum Latitude status), then ask the concierge to do it on your behalf - sometimes he/she would get a "yes" when you would get a "no" when trying to book it directly..... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Anyone know what day this is typically offered? We are doing the 7 night on the Breakaway. Also debating if we should do the UDP....opinions on the main dining rooms food have me worried...

The MDR menu is very good even more so with the new menu. The UDP is a good deal if you plan on eating there every night. You always have the option to pay as you go. The MDR menus are posted in the afternoon (half of the menu changes every evening) which you can browse and then decide if you like the choices before deciding on dining in a specialty restaurant.

The Chef's table is a vastly different upscale experience hosted by the Head Chef, Maitre D, and Sommelier with special free flowing wine pairings. Also, it's limited to one 12 people max. Some times there is a second seating depending on demand. If you're interested you should inquire at restaurant reservations immediately upon boarding because they will sell out fast.

Edited by kylenyc